mopar purple cam?

-

7dart0

Reaction score
mopar P 4120231. is this cam to big for a street driven vehicle? how would it perform with near stock heads on a 360 w/ 4 barrel carb and dual plane intake?

tom

3;23 gears to start then going 4:10, 2-3000 stall converter.

tom

It is a 241 @ .050 duration cam. It will be OK at best with stock unported heads. Port the heads and unleash the beast. The tire size is the next big thing you'll face. With the 4.10 gear, tire width for traction is going to be the issue. Diameter should be 26-27-1/2 max.

What CFM 4bbl. And intake are you looking at?

I had stock j heads on my 340 and air gap intake with 750 holley worked awesome sounded great. Had 3.91 gears and my converter stalled at 3300.

I think it would be fine with the matching springs and I'd degree it and put it in 4° advanced.

and be ready to rework your distributor for more initial advance to get it to idle cleanly at lower rpm

for intake either the edelbrock rpm or weiand stealth. and a 750 edelbrock on top of it cause thats what i have.

tom

When you get there (running and driving) fill us in on how each I take acts and performs!

mopar P 4120231. is this cam to big for a street driven vehicle? how would it perform with near stock heads on a 360 w/ 4 barrel carb and dual plane intake?

tom

An 'Excellent Street Camshaft'

Works well with an Aluminum Dual-Plane High-Rise Intake and 'Loves' 3.91 Gears.

.484" Lift and 284" Duration {241* @ .050" Lift} perfect for a Street
Combination, even with Stock Cylinder Heads and Stock Valve Springs.

Hey all, I was helping degree in my friends .484 cam, started messing around with other measurements. Duration looks to be shorter
than what is stated by mopar. His cam shows 232.5 deg at .050.
Not sure how accurate it is using an engine block, but we came up with that figure 3 times. Is it normal for mopar cams to actually be smaller than listed?

Hell yes, it's normal. Herb McCandless wrote about it more than once. I am not sure any of them map where they are advertised. Mopar used a different way to measure them and never really disclosed it. Had to do with their proprietary stuff. Basically, what you were supposed to do was chose a camshaft that would coincide with however fast a race car you were building and not really worry about the specs. Stupid as it sounds, it worked rather well.

tom

Throw in a set of Rhoades vairable duration lifters P/N 2018 and it will help the idle. Have one in a 340 Barracuda, and it runs strong, a little lumpy..

-
Back