Mopar vs Chevy teenager style.

-

383man

Reaction score
I got a feeling Ron jr will have a good fun grudge race some time soon. It will be all in good fun as its one of my best friends sons. My good buddy who owns the black 65 Coronet helped his 19 year old son by this 69 Nova. There has been some smack talk between my buddies two sons and my two boys about which car is faster between the Dart and this Nova. He ran the Nova once last year and ran 12.44 @ 116 on street tires so it should go easy 11's on stickies. And Ron Jr just ran 11.60's @ 116. But we are making a few changes hoping to drop below 11.50. The Nova is pretty healthy as its a .060 over 454 with a .670 lift solid cam and 10.5 comp. Its alot of cam and not very street freindly. They just took the 4.56's out and put 4.10's in it and it has a 3500 convertor. Its got iron ported Chevy heads and roller rockers with a Holley single plane intake and an 850 DP. It is a very nice looking and healthy sounding car. Hell if you go by the sound its got it all over the Dart but noise dont win races. Its cool as they are good friends and I know they want to line up at the track soon. They are both taking their cars to a car show this Sat at their old highschool. I just hope they can wait until they get to the track. I am sure they will as it should be a good clean race. I will say Ron Jr has more track time and cuts better lites in his favor. Ron

The Competition: One Chevy Nova with .060 over 454

75554898.jpg

The favorite: 72 Dart with .030 over 400.

22463904.jpg

--------------------
My car....63 Sport Fury 440 . Sons cars... 406 Dart, 11.66 @ 116 , 03 SRT-4: 12.88 @ 108.

I think the Dart will get it...

But then again, I think I'm biased :mrgreen:

Gonna be a close one by the sounds of it. But like you said maybe your son can tree him. The times say alot about the quality of your motor though. You are giving up 50 cubes and way less cam, and the Dart still will run with that 454 ! I'll tell you Ron, I was seriously thinking of building a 500 cube stroker, but after seeing what your sons Dart runs just with that 400 I have been swayed to build one of those instead. I have a set of brand new .o2o over KB Hypereutectic pistons on rods that have been resized with new MP rod bolts on my shelf. Also have the forged 383 crank too. I think I am back to my origional plan again ! How about posting the specs for your motor samewhere, or is it posted and I just have not seen it yet ? Good luck ! Dave.
383barracuda1rc.jpg

my money is also on Ron jr hope he will beat that hot chebby!

Mopar=Power
No Mopar=No Power

Thanks. Here is the Dart specs:

Stock body full interior 72 Dart.
.030 over 400 (406) with KB pistons .025 down in the cyl.
Stock bushed rods and a stock 383 crank.
Box stock Eddy heads I milled .040 for 10.2 comp.
MP .557 cam with Crane iron rockers.
Performer RPM intake with a Holley 750 DP.
MP orange ecu box with stock dist I recurved and Accel coil.
CPPA 2" headers with 2-1/4 pipes.
727 I rebuilt with stock parts and a Turbo Action reverse manual v/b.
9.5" Dynamic 4200 flash convertor.
8-3/4 with 3.91's and S/S springs.

Best et first time out on the 406 was 11.66 @ 116 on G/60-15 McCreary's.
Plans include upgrading to 850 Holley DP (did that last night) and single plane intake. Also will be installing 4.30 gears and using MT 28 x 9 slicks.
I feel there is much more in the dart and think 11.40's or better should happen this year.

The Nova:

Mostly stock body with Caltracks and cowl hood.
.060 over 454 (468)
I believe its Aries pistons with 10.5 comp.
672 lift flat tappet soilid cam. (its nasty sounding)
Ported iron big valve Chevy Heads.
Holley single plane intake and Holley 850 DP.
MSD ign with 6AL box.
2-1/8" headers and 3" pipes.
Turbo 400 with manual v/b and 3500 convertor.
12 bolt rear with 4.56's.

Best et only time out so far was 12.44 @ 116 on street tires.
He just installed 4.10's in place of the 4.56's. He plans to get slicks or some sticky drag radials.

It should be a good race and alot of fun. Ron

it sounds a litle small with 2 1/4" exhaust on that engine espesialy if its not mandrel bent, but i may be a little biased because i work with exhaust every day, and if that 454 in the nova sounds lots bader its partialy because of the 3"pipes they ALWAYS souns alot bader for some reason, dont know why its just the way it is.. nice car again!

one thing about it ron is that they are friends and let them know which ever way it goes they are still friends.

but being partial to the a-bodys i don't have to say which way i would go!!

also it won't be the last run against each other either and that makes it more fun for the young ones and the dads to.

bill

Its going to be close for sure.

I think the dart needs some 3" pipes, more gear and a bigger carb. But its running good anyways.

The Dart wins!

What are you gonna do with those chevy doors after the race? :D

Sell it back to the nova driver... :D with big money... :D

this race shouldnt be close if u look at it on paper, 62 less inches (1 liter) , way smaller cam, smaller carb on a dual plane intake, and a higher gear ratio........ this really says a lot for Mopars!

So did this little speed contest happen yet? I'm curious about the outcome. :salute:

Looking at the 2 engines the 406 is a better balance of parts, the cam in the 460 is screaming for more compression. Go for it Jr.

Sorry but the board had me logged out and I could not get back on ! Whew I got as new password. No no race yet as it will be a bit. I worked on the Nova last week as it kept flooding out and would not idle. I actually put the 750 dp from the Dart on it as it runs fine now. I just loaned it to him as his 850 is beat up and has had it. It runs good with my 750 on on it and I told him to jut leave it on until he gets a carb as he wants a bigger one. As for the Dart we borrowed my buddies 850 dp to try in place of the 750 we had on it. But we plan to get a rollbar in it before we take it back to the track and the boy with the Nova wants to get a new carb before they race. No worry as we have a few tricks up our sleeve ! We ordered 4.30 gears today to replace the 3.91's and I will be getting a Holley Street Dominator SP intake to try with the 850. We also have a MSD 6A box and a MSD Blaster coil to put on the Dart and we plan to try and seal the hood scoops. I honestly feel this Dart has low 11's in it at 118 to 120 if I can get it right. We hope to have it out to the track again in about a month as the Nova driver says he wont be ready before that. I hope for at least 11.40's or better next time out if all works right. Dont worry as I will keep you all posted. After we see how it runs like that we will se what else we plan. We are gong to taller street tires as its a street car and we plan to drive it the 45 miles to the track. Ron

AAHHHH its killin me Ron!AHHHHH
all this race talk makes me want to get my car done faster then two weeks!
MIKE

Mike I know you wont sit idle as all our Mopar minds are always thinking of ways to go faster. I wish I had my camera yesterday as we were over their house and the Dart and Nova were parked next to each other. It would have made a good pic. I also put new front springs in the Nova yesterday at the shop as the front tires would rub from sitting so low. I just have to tell him to let me weld the doors on for him ! LoL ! Ron

How do you keep 1,000 Mopar fans in suspense ?
I will tell you after the race.

Uh oh the Chevy is having more problems. Seems the wheels want to lock up sometimes when he shifts into 3rd gear. I mean lock up and skid. Then he starts it up and its ok for a bit. Humm its a turbo 400...........I think its running scared ! LoL ! Well I started setting up the 4.30's tonight after work. After 2 tries with .030 shim under the pinion bearing I have a very nice pattern. Got tired so I will press the bearing on with the .030 shim and finish it tomorrow. Ron Jr will put it in the car this weekend. Oh and he bought a new set of street tires today. They are American racing tires (used to be Mccreary) and he got the 265's which are 28" tall and 9" wide. He wants to use them on the street and maybe at the track because if they hook like the McCreary's did they will work good. And only $115. each ! But we have 28 x 9 slicks also. Ron

-
Back