Moroso 20710 oil pan fitment ?'s

-

SSG_Karg

Enhanced member
Reaction score
Hi, thinking about buying the Moroso 8qt. pan 20710 and 24770 pickup for my 340. I'm running a 4" BPE crank and Callies Compstar rods, and Melling m72HV pump. Going into a 72 Duster. Anyone running this pan in their A-body? Just curious about any fitment issues that may arise. Thanks.

fits fine in my 70 Duster, kinda close to the ground, next time I think 7 quart 9" deep canton 15-900

Yeah, I was concerned about ground clearance. Would you happen to have a pic of your car taken straight on so I could see how low the pan hangs?

here ya go.....i put 175/80-15 tires on, t-bars adjusted so that the car is level (SS Springs rear) - so far no trouble driving on the street. Of course this is no jeep or sth. ;-)

Michael

Attachments

• 2015_bitburg_im_juli_56_20150709_1688600166 (1).jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 332
  • 065.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 336
Thanks for the pics. Doesn't look too low.....long as I can keep it out of Hazzard County.
175/80-15? Don't know that I've ever seen that size......Cool

Check to see where the drain plug is. Years ago I had a 360 pan and they put the drain plug on the bottom. When I pulled off to the side of a return road to let some Jr. Dragsters by, it caught on the edge of the asphalt and ripped the plug out!

Milodon has 8 qt. pans that are a little shallower. Only downside is the wider bottom requires a little notch to be cut out of the K-frame lip for R&R and not all headers clear it. (TTI do.)

They also have a 7 qt which may address those issues with more ground clearance, but I don't have any first-hand experience with them.

the moroso pan has got the drain plug at the underside, rear end of the sump. There are better locations for the drain plug.....ask me how i know. All in all i´d buy another pan if i build another performance engine....little wider but not so deep. Maybe Milodon or Canton.

Michael

I actually prefer Milodon pans, but this motor has W2 heads and not sure if the headers will clear the wider sump of the Milodon pan. Might need to give the tech line at Milodon a call for some info. Gonna be a street car so ground clearance is an issue.

Which headers on the W2's? I have TTI 1-7/8 with the 7quart pan I believe and no issues with it.

TTI headers fit very well with the Milodon pans. The routing of the tubes is the same, just the flanges are different, depending on which heads you have.

This is a copy of the last time this was asked :
before you even think about installing it. you might want to put some sort of solvent in it and check it for leaks! I found my pin hole leak in one of the welds. When I called*Milodon*old man sighed and said oh boy Again?! California laws don't allow them to use solvents to test for leaks. they have to use water and don't catch them all!
you're cut your K frame, bang out the back of it and grind on your high volume oil pump to make it fit over it, you'll bang out the side of it to make the oil pickup set. good Lord have fun I'll never buy one again, all the while hoping it doesn't leak like mine did brand new.View attachment 20150301_173050.jpg

Geez, that sucks! Did Milodon make it right?
Summit credited me a discount and Milodon put my name in their computer and said when I take the motor down this winter to send it to them and they will send me a new one with a new gasket. But with all the other stuff I have to do this winter I'm on the fence about doing it. It doesn't leak with my repair. So I will likely take the motor out, but scraping the gasket - banging the the new one out to fit - just to have it maybe leak !?
good grief , I think I'll just leave it

Didn't have any issues like that with mine, other than having to notch the k-member

Didn't have any issues like that with mine, other than having to notch the k-member
Yeah I'm sure mine was like a one in a hundred bad luck shot but if they can't test them with solvents in California can't they just send them to Mexico for a good old fashioned chemical test lol and can't a notch or take a piece of the oil pan out in the front passenger corner instead of us having to cut our K frame? And can't they make it just a little bigger to accommodate an aftermarket high volume oil pump that you would likely have with this kind of pain? And can't they notch the inside to make it fit their own pick up without it banging against the inside wall? And can't they try with a couple different makes of headers so they don't rub up against the side?

a 175/80-15 is 26" tall. I have a 26" tire on my duster and the 10" deep moroso, it has hit the ground several times. next pan will be the 9" deep straight sump Canton, 7 quarts is good

Speaking of ground clearance - I thought I read somewhere that the Moroso pans have their drain plugs set to the bottom of the pan - so if you ever go wheels up and come down hard - kiss it all good-bye... I have the Milodon 7qt with TTi's, tight as hell to work on, but it does all fit.

I actually prefer Milodon pans, but this motor has W2 heads and not sure if the headers will clear the wider sump of the Milodon pan. Might need to give the tech line at Milodon a call for some info. Gonna be a street car so ground clearance is an issue.

This is a copy of the last time this was asked :
before you even think about installing it. you might want to put some sort of solvent in it and check it for leaks! I found my pin hole leak in one of the welds. When I called*Milodon*old man sighed and said oh boy Again?! California laws don't allow them to use solvents to test for leaks. they have to use water and don't catch them all!
you're cut your K frame, bang out the back of it and grind on your high volume oil pump to make it fit over it, you'll bang out the side of it to make the oil pickup set. good Lord have fun I'll never buy one again, all the while hoping it doesn't leak like mine did brand new.View attachment 1714854338

Is this the 7 qt. pan?

Speaking of ground clearance - I thought I read somewhere that the Moroso pans have their drain plugs set to the bottom of the pan - so if you ever go wheels up and come down hard - kiss it all good-bye... I have the Milodon 7qt with TTi's, tight as hell to work on, but it does all fit.

Did you have to notch the k frame?

I like the idea of more ground clearance with the Milodon, but I really don't care to cut my k frame. Also kicking around the idea of the Kevko pans listed on flEbay. Looks like a quality piece.

I have the Kevko 6 quart on my 71 Scamp, no issues at all with clearance.
PROS- we'll built and the baffling is well thought out, price, pickup matches and looks like a good match for the pan, overall happy I went this way for a street car and 2 extra quarts of oil with no interference issues.
Cons- They take a stamped steel pan and cut the bottom off to do their handy work, which means the top doesn't fit completely perfect, I think this is due to a little warping from all the welding and settles flat after its been installed, not necessarily their fault. Also, and this is my biggest issue with them, they paint the pan with black paint and don't even scuff or prime it, garbage paint. However this worked out for me because as I went to scuff it to paint my engine color I discovered the paint came off so easy, I rubbed some brake cleaner on it, waited and it wiped right off leaving me a surface I could prep and paint right.
The pan, baffling and overall design is great, I decided not even to bother with a crank scraper after seeing it, would buy again.

That's good info. I've been eyeballing the Kevko pan on Ebay for a while now. I hesitated to buy it without hearing anything about them. The price seemed a little low-usually get what you pay for. But, sounds like you had a good experience overall. THanks for the input.

the steel kevko 8" deep is only 6 quarts and expanded in the front is tight on engine install. why no comment on canton

-
Back