Motor mount help

-

Kardon1976

Reaction score
Hey all,

Im have a 71 dart with the inline 6. Im putting in the 318 while still using the inline 6 k member. passenger mount installed fine. driver side one has a gap and there is a picture I found with the same thing and they just added washers as spacers to fill the gap. is this ok will this work? I don't really want to pay the ridicules price for the Schumacher ones.

Thanks

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 292
Hey all,

Im have a 71 dart with the inline 6. Im putting in the 318 while still using the inline 6 k member. passenger mount installed fine. driver side one has a gap and there is a picture I found with the same thing and they just added washers as spacers to fill the gap. is this ok will this work? I don't really want to pay the ridicules price for the Schumacher ones.

Thanks

Those look like spool type motor mounts and your 71 will have biscuit style mounts so they won't work anyway. In order to put a V8 into a slant 6 K member you will need to use some sort of adapter. Summit Racing carries these conversion mounts from Trans Dapt for $70. Same thing as the Schumacher mounts.

trd-4695_w_ml.jpg

If I didn't know any better I would almost certainly say that is actually a 360 ?

If you have the bolt with washers filling the gap, you're fine.

Which 318 do you have that has the narrow ears on it?

BrianT,

These are the mounts that I currently have and the driver side is off by about a 1/4 inch??? so this is why I was asking if I can just use washers as spacers to fill the gap to complete the install of the motor.

If anything I do have a V8 k mamber that I can put in, just trying to save on some work.

been doing that for years. Its insane what they want for those brackets.

You can take all the pictures that you want, but you're still going to have to change to a V8 K member or use the conversion mounts mentioned above. I don't see where the confusion is coming from? Yes, you have the wrong mount for the left side if it needs spacers to work, but people have been using spacers/washers for years.

If you buy the conversion mounts above for a 318 to slant 6 K member, they would bolt right on to your 318 with no added washers. If $70 is too much to spend for a V8 conversion, you need to get a cheaper hobby.

The pic in the first post is a 340 with spool mounts. Your '71 Dart will use a biscuit style mount. If the mounts in the picture are what you have then they won't work with a '71 /6 K member. Also, the 318 mounts are wide so there should be no big gap like that. The 340/360's are the ones with the narrow mounts which would need shimming if using a 318 mount. The 318 in my Dart Sport is from 1968 and needed no shimming at all to make the motor mounts fit the block, so I don't see why yours would need shimming. I went with Schumacher spool type conversion mounts. The V8 K member you've got, whats it out of? If it's a '73+ spool mount K member then it WILL work with the spool mounts in the picture. To drop a V8 in your '71 /6 K member you'll need conversion mounts. Swapping to a V8 is easy if you plan it all out.

What I'd like to know:

What are the engine mounts you already have for your 318?
More info on the V8 K member
Pics of the fitment issues with what mounts you have

This should be pretty straight forward.

You can take all the pictures that you want, but you're still going to have to change to a V8 K member or use the conversion mounts mentioned above. I don't see where the confusion is coming from? Yes, you have the wrong mount for the left side if it needs spacers to work, but people have been using spacers/washers for years.

If you buy the conversion mounts above for a 318 to slant 6 K member, they would bolt right on to your 318 with no added washers. If $70 is too much to spend for a V8 conversion, you need to get a cheaper hobby.
Just to be clear BrianT, I bought the Trans Dapt mounts that you pictured. exact ones. but the driver side is too big by about 1/4 inch. this is the second set that I have purchased from summit racing that dont fit. So when I was browsing the internet I saw someone with the same issue (I posted their picture in first post starting this thread). So then I asked if these will work just using some spacers to fill the gap.

From what I get from you all these mounts will work (with spacers). So I will go ahead and try them and if they dont work then I will just put in the V8 k member.

Thanks for all your input FABO members.

You never said that you had the conversion mounts?!?

I think that the Trans Dapt require the spacers because they "work" on 318's and 360's. The Schumacher mounts are different for the two engines and don't require the spacers but they are more expensive.

-
Back