Motor Mount modifications for 340/360 into Early A

-

65s

Reaction score
As you may know, if you want to swap a 340 or 360 into your early A-body, you need to take original 273 motor mounts and modify the passenger side mount. This modification is pretty simple and outlined elsewhere, like here -> http://tinyurl.com/cyo8w and here-> http://www.enbcom.com/discus/messages/2/456.html

Anyhow, you can buy prefabbed mounts at Shumacher -> http://www.engine-swaps.com/ or make your own.

There's a guy on ebay selling them too.... -> ebay #4596986266

HOWEVER I was looking at these and the guy has cut off one tab, forcing you to put the mount on in reverse!! DO NOT BUY THESE

It will cause the motor to sit at a slight angle...not necessarily the end of the world, but not really a good thing either! I emailed the guy and he was rather defensive at first, but then he replied admitting the mistake and then he pulled the auction. He says he's sold 4 of these already...uh oh...glad it wan't to ME!

I don't know anything about early A-bodies but if you have one with a 273 why do you have to do anything to the passenger side to put a 340/360 in?

I know the ears on the drivers side of a 340/360 block are closer together than the 273/318 but the passenger side of the block is the same but that can be handled with a simple spacer.

Curious minds want to know! :)

the hole orientation... the pass side will only be held with 2 bolts if you use a 273 mount...( the side with 2 holes needs to be on the other side.)

If I visualize the pictures in the link above correctly am I seeing two ears with two holes each on the passenger side of the 273 block? And, the mount bolts to the two rear holes and one front hole?

I was always under the belief that 273/318/340/360 blocks all had the same two front one rear hole arrangement on the passenger side. The drivers side has the same arrangement but the spacing front to back of the ears on the 340/360 is narrower than the 273/318.

DGC333, you are right BUT that photo (posted by me) shows the 273 in my car with a 4 holed mounting ear on the passenger side. I believe this is an oddball case (still trying to figure out why). I believe most 273's have 3 holes, just like 340's and 360's, but on the 273 usually has two holes in the back ear and one hole in the front ear. 340/360 is opposite so you have to modify the mount.

I have a 64 Dart GT with a 340 and a stock motor mount on the passenger side but on the DRIVERS SIDE I HAVE JUST THE METAL PART OF THE PICK UP TRUCK MOUNT !!! ONE SOLID MOUNT!!! NO I REPEAT NO RUBBER MOUNT ON THE DRIVER SIDE! BOLTS IN JUST LIKE IT GREW THERE FROM THE FACTORY. It would be very easy to recommend yhat if you were to put a HI-PO 318 or 273 into one of these cars the solid mount would seem to be very practical just use a 318 drivers side mount.

I have a 64 Dart GT with a 340 and a stock motor mount on the passenger side but on the DRIVERS SIDE I HAVE JUST THE METAL PART OF THE PICK UP TRUCK MOUNT !!! ONE SOLID MOUNT!!! NO I REPEAT NO RUBBER MOUNT ON THE DRIVER SIDE! BOLTS IN JUST LIKE IT GREW THERE FROM THE FACTORY. It would be very easy to recommend yhat if you were to put a HI-PO 318 or 273 into one of these cars the solid mount would seem to be very practical just use a 318 drivers side mount.

You got a pic of that set up. I have a set of the Schumacher mounts for the 340, but got rid of the car before I could use them.

I can get a pic, but I don't yet know how to post the pic on the site! If you can help me with that I'll gladly post the pic and all of my car with fenderwells and all!

Not sure about the early A's ,but the drivers side is the one that is different.
The passanger side uses the same bracket on all the small blocks.What you need is a 340 a-body drivers side mount.They can be hard to find,or schumacher will sell just that side.

The guy on E-bay (texas something) is a knucklehead.He states "this is the bracket you need to do a 273/318 to 340/360 swap".
When in fact the mount he is selling is the passenger side,and you already have it.

Not sure about the early A's ,but the drivers side is the one that is different.
The passenger side uses the same bracket on all the small blocks.What you need is a 340 a-body drivers side mount.They can be hard to find,or schumacher will sell just that side.

The guy on E-bay (texas something) is a knucklehead.He states "this is the bracket you need to do a 273/318 to 340/360 swap".
When in fact the mount he is selling is the passenger side,and you already have it.

I have a 67 cuda with 273.

If I install a 360 in my car I will need a 340 passenger side motor mount only or a 340/360 passenger side motor mount ?

Half inch spacing was mentioned above and that the problem could be fixed with spacers. Where would the 1/2" spacers go on the passenger side? Toward the front of the motor or to the rear? Has anyone actually done this?

I noticed on my 273 that it had a bad motor mount and replaced it. It was on the passenger side and for some reason I could never get all three bolts in that mount and the rubber insulator has to go in cocked to one side. All three bolts was never installed just two. I could never get the rubber insulator square with the mounts. Anyone have a idea why that is?

I have a 67 cuda with 273.

If I install a 360 in my car I will need a 340 passenger side motor mount only or a 340/360 passenger side motor mount ?

Half inch spacing was mentioned above and that the problem could be fixed with spacers. Where would the 1/2" spacers go on the passenger side? Toward the front of the motor or to the rear? Has anyone actually done this?

I noticed on my 273 that it had a bad motor mount and replaced it. It was on the passenger side and for some reason I could never get all three bolts in that mount and the rubber insulator has to go in cocked to one side. All three bolts was never installed just two. I could never get the rubber insulator square with the mounts. Anyone have a idea why that is?

The 273,318,340,360 all use the same mount on the "passenger side".No fabrication,spacers, necessary.

The "drivers side" is where the 273/318 mount is different than the 340/360 mount.The drivers side is where you need an A-body 340 mount.With the 340 mount no spacers are necessary.

If you were to use a 273/318 drivers side mount,on your 340/360,you would need to use a spacer or washers.

Schumacher has both brackets,which are powder coated,with insolaters and mounting bolts for $130.00.Not to bad.Or you can hunt down a A-body 340 mount.

Another potential hiccup is the rear bolt holes on the drivers mount. Some of the 318 bracket have three bolt holes in them not 4. If the bracket has three holes it likely won't line up with the rear mount lug on a 340-360. I have done this to the mounts to get them to work.

Left is the modified, right is the 318 mount.

Picture003-1.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

Picture001.jpg

DRIVERS SIDE! Oh Ok!

I guess to make sure everything is right and going to fit I would just be better off buying the Schumacher 340/360 mounts and be done with it.

i could have sworn that i only had to modified the drivers side mount when i did the 360 in my 64 valiant... i found the measurements in a mopar chasis or engines book back then.. it was a triangle piece that needed to be welded to the 273 mount. still have the mounts in the shed somewhere so i'll have to dig them out and look.

Another potential hiccup is the rear bolt holes on the drivers mount. Some of the 318 bracket have three bolt holes in them not 4. If the bracket has three holes it likely won't line up with the rear mount lug on a 340-360. I have done this to the mounts to get them to work.

Left is the modified, right is the 318 mount.

Picture003-1.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

Picture001.jpg

What year are those brackets for? We are talking about the "early" A bodies. 1964 to 1966. Those pictures are not for a 64-66 conversion. 67 up are different brackets and insulators.

This conversation is talking about two different beasts here. There's a difference between pre-'67 A-body and post-'67 A-body. Abodyjoe is right, but he's talking about pre-'67. Johnny dart and crackedback are talking about post-'67.

Well the topic started with early A's (the title says it) then it got sidetracked. Not that it's a bad thing, but anyone reading it that doesn't know, should know there's a difference. I find all the information useful myself.

hawaii duster I can send you some pic's but need your adress for snail mail if your so trusting.My 340 hasn't moved at all and its NOT A HACK JOB.

If anyone is interested I have a pair of decent early A biskets.

The passanger side uses the same bracket on all the small blocks.What you need is a 340 a-body drivers side mount.They can be hard to find,or schumacher will sell just that side.

Not true. The passenger side is indeed the different unit. Those images in Neil's original thread are mine (unfortunately so are the sketches and bad penmanship).

The knucklehead is the one who authored the Mopar Chassis manual section on modifying the bracket for doing the swap. It it plain to me that the engineer sent a lacky out to the garage floor with the instruction that he needed to get the dimensions off the "right side mount" and the goofball looked in the engine compartment, looked at his right hand, then took dimensions off the drivers' side mount. ](*,)

The difference between the 273 and 360 block is the configuration of the passenger side ears: the 360 only having one tab on the rear and two in the front, but the original 273 bracket is intended to use two holes in back and one in front. the rubber mounts are the same side to side (regardless of LA motor), but the brackets are indeed different on the passenger side for a 273 versus a 360.

-
Back