Motor Trend Shows- Gone?

-

SpeedThrills

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
In March they supposedly went to Discovery+. They did, but there has been no new content. Well, maybe what they had already produced.
I liked Road Kill, Roadkill Garage, Engine Masters, Faster With Newburn and the other guy.
I couldn't care less about the other shows they have.
Anyone know what's going on? Very poor communication. I won't renew, and I'll have a bad taste in my mouth regarding any future attempts to revive it.

I ended my subscription last month, Discovery+ is a joke. Harder to find anything and rarely new content. 5 bucks is 5 bucks... I'll spend it elsewhere

Graveyard cars renewed for 2024 but it's not as good as it was. I really liked full custom garage because Ian builds cars from what ever is available for him to use. Texas Metal is okay, iron resurrection isn't bad. Most of those shows are for high end builds for those who have deep pockets. But, I have to agree that this year has been poor

I get MT on Dish network,For the past couple of years there is little New Programing. Lots of Reruns. I call Dish every Three months for half price on the MT Channel. Today they had Mecum Auction Reruns on.

I've been a non-cable, satellite, internet tv guy for about 7 years .. all free ota stuff only .. but, recently the man behind the curtain is winning ..

whomever took 5 of my favorite channels away , replaced others with black TV (guess its ok to say it because they say " all black all day" on the commercials they run )

so, I'm down to grit (westerns) Metv ( andy griffith 24-7 lol) and metoons old cartoons .. most of them buffer and pixelate out all the time too

I will make it thru summer but, by winter I might cave in and get dish again

really don't want to however

Yea, I love RoadKill Garage and so. I watch just on Dish, tired of reruns! I understand MotorTrend is now Discovery and streaming is thru Discovery+ and is now called Maxx or something. Looks like everything wants to be streamed.

Gossip is FriedBurger is retiring, looks like Dulcich has built some new and large garages?? Nor sure what role Finnegan plays? Maybe the new "stars" are Derrick or Cotton or whoever??

I am confused!

it's probably an unfortunate consequence of production cycles synching up with the acquisition and subsequent sale of certain arms of production and programming.

MotorTrend Group owns and produces these shows-- seemingly in house, i'm not going to dig around and see if they IC thru a 2ndary production company-- so it would make sense that they would press pause on everything while rolling out already made content as they figure out how to move forward, in this case, to see if the #'s are there (read: money) to continue making the programming.

this merger laid off absolutely huge swaths of people and shuttered tons on nominally successful shows in other demos so it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they took it to only u-tube or streaming.

Graveyard cars renewed for 2024 but it's not as good as it was. I really liked full custom garage because Ian builds cars from what ever is available for him to use. Texas Metal is okay, iron resurrection isn't bad. Most of those shows are for high end builds for those who have deep pockets. But, I have to agree that this year has been poor
Mark has to lay off him jokes and comic routine just rebuild the dam cars

There's probably 18 car programs that have been gone for years. Misfit garage for one

Yea, I love RoadKill Garage and so. I watch just on Dish, tired of reruns! I understand MotorTrend is now Discovery and streaming is thru Discovery+ and is now called Maxx or something. Looks like everything wants to be streamed.

Gossip is FriedBurger is retiring, looks like Dulcich has built some new and large garages?? Nor sure what role Finnegan plays? Maybe the new "stars" are Derrick or Cotton or whoever??

I am confused!
Finnegan is staying close to his family I guess the wife told to be home more often

Finnegan is staying close to his family I guess the wife told to be home more often
Possibly. Not for nothin, but if my wife had to commute to Cali for work several times a year and I had to be Mr. Mom all alone, I’d be pissed myself. Which explains a lot of single mom’s attitude. I don’t and can’t blame them for that crap.

On the flip side, if I had to do the type of traveling, I’d probably tell ya to stick it. I’ll do it at home or find something else because that kind of commute is an insanity.

I don’t think his wife “HAD TO TELL HIM” but I’m sure she mentioned what a drag it is without him. Besides, why would you want to leave your wife if all is good?

Possibly. Not for nothin, but if my wife had to commute to Cali for work several times a year and I had to be Mr. Mom all alone, I’d be pissed myself. Which explains a lot of single mom’s attitude. I don’t and can’t blame them for that crap.

On the flip side, if I had to do the type of traveling, I’d probably tell ya to stick it. I’ll do it at home or find something else because that kind of commute is an insanity.

I don’t think his wife “HAD TO TELL HIM” but I’m sure she mentioned what a drag it is without him. Besides, why would you want to leave your wife if all is good?
He said he wanted to be home more often so look for a spin off called Finnegan s Garage good for him

He said he wanted to be home more often so look for a spin off called Finnegan s Garage good for him
Yes he did. I do have the Discovery app and can see new stuff. I haven’t watched it in a while.

As barbee6043 said in post #7, Motor Trend content showed up a little while ago on HBO-Max. There was a new Roadkill episode as recently as the week before last. I just checked. Nothing new from Dulcich, Finnegan, Lucky, Freiburg, etc in the past week and longer for most. I know Hot Rod Garage wrapped it's season and moved out of that shared garage. I don't know if they are doing another season.

I like Ian's builds, also.
I've been a non-cable, satellite, internet tv guy for about 7 years .. all free ota stuff only .. but, recently the man behind the curtain is winning ..

whomever took 5 of my favorite channels away , replaced others with black TV (guess its ok to say it because they say " all black all day" on the commercials they run )

so, I'm down to grit (westerns) Metv ( andy griffith 24-7 lol) and metoons old cartoons .. most of them buffer and pixelate out all the time too

I will make it thru summer but, by winter I might cave in and get dish again

really don't want to however
I've been non-cable for about 3 years. No plans to go back.
I basically strictly watch YouTube these days. Never run out of New stuff to watch and it's free
My mainstay, also.
it's probably an unfortunate consequence of production cycles synching up with the acquisition and subsequent sale of certain arms of production and programming.

MotorTrend Group owns and produces these shows-- seemingly in house, i'm not going to dig around and see if they IC thru a 2ndary production company-- so it would make sense that they would press pause on everything while rolling out already made content as they figure out how to move forward, in this case, to see if the #'s are there (read: money) to continue making the programming.

this merger laid off absolutely huge swaths of people and shuttered tons on nominally successful shows in other demos so it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they took it to only u-tube or streaming.
I can understand that. But they should explain that to their loyal customers!

Why would you want to leave your wife AND kids? They only grow up once, and need the influence of both parents, when possible.

I can understand that. But they should explain that to their loyal customers!
i hear ya cluckin' big chicken. a whole *** raft of shows i liked just straight up blinked off of max. one adios'd right in the middle of dinner no less! had me questioning my sanity for a hot minute.

from a few people i know in the industry that are tangentially involved (work as IC's at other joints, or work as OO editors/sound/colorists) the whole navigation of the hand off and combining of properties has been somewhere on the level of: high level buffoonery to straight clusterfuck.

because "max" rebranded there was a rollout and press release; which makes sense in that is one of the prime assets. with the MT stuff, they likely didn't (or still don't) know what to do with it or what fate will befall the shows so they're probably just playing it as: let's focus on the big ticket stuff and once the great unwashed masses start grumbling we'll figure something out. naturally, the stars of these shows have probably been told to keep it on the hush (if they even know anything) and toe the company line.

Why would you want to leave your wife AND kids? They only grow up once, and need the influence of both parents, when possible.

Exactly!!!!!

I was working in a heavy overtime yard. This is basically what happened. I was working for a financial goal. I went out on an injury, broke a finger tip. When I seen the BS that was happening at home, I left the yard. The crew knew I was trying to pad the pension, they asked what was up, I told them just what you said as well as that I didn’t like what my absense wrought, so I’m gone!

They could t believe there ears and thought I was joking. I added in this;

“You can work for your riches here and I’ll secure mine at home where the real wealth is. Enjoy working the OT and best of luck.”

And I was gone! True riches preserved. Finances are just fine.

I basically strictly watch YouTube these days. Never run out of New stuff to watch and it's free
Exactly what we do!! You can find vloggers of all types and subjects.

Engine Masters is done. Steve Brule retired.

I have not paid for Max to stream, I will wait and see how it all shakes out. Not that it costs squat, I just have little faith in a good outcome for anytime soon.
For what I have seen on my life, any time there are co. mergers, half the employees end up screwed and/or gone, and the company is usually a mess for an extended period of time. I need to just pay for UTube stuff maybe.

It looks like everyone is jumping ship and heading for Youtube. Dulcich just installed an engine dyno at his home shop. Maybe there's a new form of Engine Masters coming from him.

It looks like everyone is jumping ship and heading for Youtube. Dulcich just installed an engine dyno at his home shop. Maybe there's a new form of Engine Masters coming from him.
Maybe he and Fannegan will team up

I've been watching the new M/T stuff on MAX - the interface is lousy but the one on MT sucked too.

Finnegan has had his own show on YouTube for several years even before he left M/T.

-
Back