Mr. Norm's - 1 of 1 - 340 Demon

-
GSD cars are not even close to what a Yenko ect.. are. they went through COPO or had complete engines ready to swap, taking a 327/350 out and installing a alum head 427 ect.. just my two cents ....

so does anyone know what that little tag is that is attached to the fender tag?lol

GSD cars are not even close to what a Yenko ect.. are. they went through COPO or had complete engines ready to swap, taking a 327/350 out and installing a alum head 427 ect.. just my two cents ....

I was thinking more on the lines of the 68 M code GSS Darts. All sold at GSD, factory coded even. Still a big price spread. Baldwin cars and Nickey cars are rare as hens teeth though and I think that's in part to the lack of documentation and knowledge of the cars by most car people. What I mean by this is would most of us know how to ID a 71 or 72 Demon GSS if it's missing the add ons, or any other dealer supercar if it were stripped? I'm not trying to compare performance here either, just advertised specialty dealership performance cars.
It's all supply and demand on these cars. I hope more pop up for sale cheap, I'll buy them up then because I love these cars. The problem is finding them.

I've posted some stuff from Best of Show before....I get emails from them pretty regularly and every once in a while a car catches my fancy....I thought this one was worth posting even though it looks like someone puked on the seats....I just wish I had the money to buy it!

http://inventory.bestofshowautomotive.com/CarDetails_new_arrivals.asp?VIN=131875

BEAUTIFUL Mopar, but I'd be very wary. My bro bought a "pristine, matching #'s, fully restored 68 GTX" from Carroll a little over a year ago & it took 2nd place in stock at MATS. Paid $42K for it off Ebay & later had to sell it when the economy crashed, to pay his daughter's college tuition. Buyer flipped it for $52K on ebay & 5 mos later, my bro gets a call from the new owner, that the car is a fake. Looking in retrospect, even the tag reveals its a repop (as you can see in the pic). A guy came up to us at the Vegas show & said he knew the car & it wasn't a B5 GTX, but a gold Satellite. We thought he was just drunk & passed it off.
He was right. Maybe Carrol bought the car already cloned & didn't know it, so don't want to accuse him, but morale is 'BUYER BEWARE"....

68 GTX 009.jpg

What makes it a 1 of 1 ???

The extra tag is an inspectors tag.

The exhaust manifolds where never covered in paint, only the areas around the ports.

Discs where an option

I don't believe (but I could be mistaken) that the 2 scoop hoods ever had holes as there was no cold air package like the B-Bodies.

The inside/outside color makes it one of one, assuming no one ever purposely ordered a car car just like that since that one was a mistake. Also, it's the only GSS made that color.
The performance hoods from the factory had the holes. Some people/dealers added scoops and didn't bother with the holes, much like most of the "scooped" hoods today.

This car was probably the first Demon GSS restored, back in the 90's, to this caliber. I don't believe the car is fake at all, it has dealership paperwork to document it also. However, I wouldn't say it's numbers matching or original miles unless I looked at it myself, just like with any car out there.

340 backed by a 3 speed manual??? What were they thinking:eek:

BEAUTIFUL Mopar, but I'd be very wary. My bro bought a "pristine, matching #'s, fully restored 68 GTX" from Carroll a little over a year ago & it took 2nd place in stock at MATS. Paid $42K for it off Ebay & later had to sell it when the economy crashed, to pay his daughter's college tuition. Buyer flipped it for $52K on ebay & 5 mos later, my bro gets a call from the new owner, that the car is a fake. Looking in retrospect, even the tag reveals its a repop (as you can see in the pic). A guy came up to us at the Vegas show & said he knew the car & it wasn't a B5 GTX, but a gold Satellite. We thought he was just drunk & passed it off.
He was right. Maybe Carrol bought the car already cloned & didn't know it, so don't want to accuse him, but morale is 'BUYER BEWARE"....

Are you saying the Fender Tag you are showing is a Satellite?
If yes you are misinformed!
I took the liberty to decode the Fender Tag shown in pic:
From the bottom....
RS23 - Plymouth GTX 2 Door Hardtop
83 - 440 4 bbl HP
5 - 3 speed Auto Trans
44 - F70-14 Red Side Wall Tires
219 - Feb 19, 1968 build date
157886 - VON

Line 2....
19 - Wide Sill Mouldings
25 - Drip Rail Mouldings
78 - Wheel Lip Mouldings
AX 48 - 3:23 Sure Grip
TRM S6W - Vinyl Bucket Seats - White on Black
PNT CC1 - Monotone Medium Blue Metallic
UBS W_3 - Upper Door Frames - White Couldn't find what the S3 is

Line 3.....
A1 - 26 Inch Radiator
R1 - AM Radio
S1 - A/C
X1 - Tinted Glass - All
Y7 - White Vinyl Top
Z8 - Performance Hood Treatment (RR/GTX)

Top Line.....
a5 - Center "Buddy" Seat
b4 - Bucket Seats
h7 - Fender Turn Signals
m6 - Drivers Side Remote Control Mirror

So.... As you can see, It IS a real GTX!

Hope this helps someone
Later,
Bruce B.

AB7fh

the 3 sp stick on the floor was the standard tranny on the 340.

4 speed and Torqueflite, just like disc brakes, were optional/ more money.

Yup.... My old 1970 Swinger 340 came with a 3 Speed Manual on the floor too.

Later,
Bruce B.

When he bought the X did he check the rad support, and trunk lip for the spo #'s, also X's have a 150 speedo, HD springs.

From the bottom....
.....snip....

Hope this helps someone
Later,
Bruce B.

I got the impression there were issues beyond the tag. Just because the tag may be off a GTX doesn't mean the body underneath it is. Also they can be very minute details about tags that can show that the tag was a repop or the tag was made for a car that didn't exist. Sometimes VIN numbers don't sequence with SPD dates. Certain options did not show up on tag at certian plants. etc, etc.

The tag look very nice. Maybe too nice. Now, it doesn't mean it's a fake tag because it's nice. Just one of many small indicators to check deeper into the authenticity of the car. I think that's some of the line of thinking behind EL5DEMON340 comments.

My comments were JUST based on the Fender Tag shown in the pic. That's all.

Later,
Bruce B.

From the bottom....
RS23 - Plymouth GTX 2 Door Hardtop
83 - 440 4 bbl HP
5 - 3 speed Auto Trans
44 - F70-14 Red Side Wall Tires
219 - Feb 19, 1968 build date
157886 - VON

Line 2....
19 - Wide Sill Mouldings
25 - Drip Rail Mouldings
78 - Wheel Lip Mouldings
AX 48 - 3:23 Sure Grip
TRM S6W - Vinyl Bucket Seats - White on Black
PNT CC1 - Monotone Medium Blue Metallic
UBS W_3 - Upper Door Frames - White Couldn't find what the S3 is

Line 3.....
A1 - 26 Inch Radiator
R1 - AM Radio
S1 - A/C
X1 - Tinted Glass - All
Y7 - White Vinyl Top
Z8 - Performance Hood Treatment (RR/GTX)

Top Line.....
a5 - Center "Buddy" Seat
b4 - Bucket Seats
h7 - Fender Turn Signals
m6 - Drivers Side Remote Control Mirror

Hope this helps someone
Later,
Bruce B.

Thanks for decoding the tag & true, that tag is for a GTX, but the fendertag is a repop tag, & not original. I wish I would've spotted that from the ebay pics, but didn't catch it. From what I gather, the car is a rebody & was originally a gold satellite & not a GTX. Carrol ended the ebay auction, so it didn't go thru ebay, thus, no recourse thru ebay & my bro didn't want to fly out to check the #'s, etc. It had an incorrect oil pan & I donated my 402 pan & we had to fix brake issues, a leaky trans & some mechanical problems. As I said, I don't know all the specifics & if its definitely a rebody, but the current owner called my bro to trace his involvement in the resto & see what he knew about the car & previous owner, so he can pursue legal matters. He stated the car is a fake. I'll try to get more specific facts & info. I'm not formally accusing Carrol, but just wanted to give anyone a heads up to do their homework. That's one beautiful Mr Norm car & I'd love to have it, too.

-
Back