Msd Digital 6AL

-

67 gt

A Wog boy who loves his Mopars !
Reaction score
Hi all was just wondering if anyone has run into this issue , did an oil change and filter had the car running and decided to go for drive as you do when the weather is on, just got down the road and car just stumbled and shut off. Car wasn’t in a safe manner on a bend and it was a matter of time it would have got rear ended so I rang the wife to bring the 4wd and some straps to tow it home. Went through the checks what msd tell you to do with the trigger wire and paper clip coil lead to a nut or bolt no spark, try another coil blaster 2 still no spark ,with key on led will flash and Even when cranking led will flash indicating it’s triggering . I’ve tested continuity on the mag pick up wires and coil wires and all is good. This has me stumped coil is a msd HVC 8252 , Distributor is the msd not the ready to run type 8534, 8.5 leads. This thing has ran faultless from day 1 until now. Just over the 12 month warranty by 10 days . I believe it’s still the CD box. Any one can shed some light if I’ve overlooked anything . Checked all grounds 3 times just in case I’ve missed something. Cheers Walt

You got any sort of old junk Mopar breakerless? Hook that up "temporarily" and spin it by had, see if you get spark. Other than that try another coil. One mistake guys make..........there should NOT BE any other wires hooked to the coil besides the two MSD box wires. Not tach, and not radio supprression cap

I have nothing else hooked up to the coil besides the orange + black- wires. I’ve tried another coil and no spark , waiting on my brother to arrive back home and will try his as I know it works , will let you know how it goes . Funny thing when I had the 318 in it’s place I had a cheap HEI $75 dollar unit with a Bosch coil ran for 4 years and sold it with the engine about 6 months ago. Msd package with new build $996 1year . No I got rid of all my old gear when I sold the 318.On my sniper screen it’s giving me the rpm signal when cranking so it’s getting power but not to coil.

I have nothing else hooked up to the coil besides the orange + black- wires. I’ve tried another coil and no spark , waiting on my brother to arrive back home and will try his as I know it works , will let you know how it goes . Funny thing when I had the 318 in it’s place I had a cheap HEI $75 dollar unit with a Bosch coil ran for 4 years and sold it with the engine about 6 months ago. Msd package with new build $996 1year . No I got rid of all my old gear when I sold the 318.On my sniper screen it’s giving me the rpm signal when cranking so it’s getting power but not to coil.
I am not sure if this has anything to do with what you are experiencing, but I had a lot of problems with my MSD box at one time. Intermittent. Sometimes it would run and work flawlessly and other times it would not do anything. I thought it was grounded well. Anyway, I ended up running a ground wire from one of the mounting holes on the MSD box to the ground on the battery post. It has worked flawlessly ever since. It's been two years now with no problems at all.

MSD box shouldnt need to be grounded....the box itself. The large ground wire from the battery takes care of that.

I am not sure if this has anything to do with what you are experiencing, but I had a lot of problems with my MSD box at one time. Intermittent. Sometimes it would run and work flawlessly and other times it would not do anything. I thought it was grounded well. Anyway, I ended up running a ground wire from one of the mounting holes on the MSD box to the ground on the battery post. It has worked flawlessly ever since. It's been two years now with no problems at all.

MSD box shouldnt need to be grounded....the box itself. The large ground wire from the battery takes care of that.
^^^100% agreed, And mine is mounted in the plastic glove box.. BUT I have a costumer (65 Mustang) that was having the same problem.. called msd techline and went through everything said and they said send the box back.. He got it back and they said it was fine??.. He grounded the box and presto!???...
BUT now #4 no spark???
So the next day he had to take the car for paint.. still a mistery??? We think it's the cap giving a weak spark??..
We changed plugs around, wires around, and it would still light up the spark checker but no cylinder fire. Checked compression, valve lash??...
Actually I can hardly wait to get back to it when it comes back from paint...
Oddly enough to know I would try a ground wire to the Box...

Just an update on the fix sorry for the long post first I got in touch with the shop I purchased it from and went down there and they tested it out and and fired perfectly brought me in to verify it cranked it up asked me what I had set the rev limiter to and tested fine. He said check the main harness to cdi box plug as they have had some with some issues with faulty plugs anyhow get home start checking the main harness plug and thought I will test all wires with a meter again all check out until I got to the orange coil wire nothing I’m thinking that’s strange as I was getting a reading through it on the weekend disconnect pin from the cover start moving wire around while I’m holding the pin and have the meter on it and bang find there’s a break in the wire about 10mm back from the pin . Cut solder new pin test again just to be sure before feeding it back in . Have spark again . What baffles me is how did this break as there’s no tension on wires , plug hasn’t been removed or played with as it’s out of the way .

-
Back