msd distributor

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really closed unit?
I just purchased a new MSD pro billet last week for my drag car.
I had to remove the vacuum unit and install the mechanical advance.
Came with the distributor.
This was the only way I could get a mechanical advanced MSD distributor.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/msd-8534_frm29056.pdf

I wanted the the Mopar one but $369 seemed a bit steep for me.

Really? ARE you SURE? I mean,, what is posted is one thing, your commenting on another thing.

If I'm wrong, Thanks for the update. I was under the impression that the "As purchased" mechanical distributors were only mechanical and have no provision for a vacuum advance canister on the side due to the housing not having a hole or drilled and tapped holes to mount the vacuum can.

SO, your distrib has a vacuum advance and you had to remove it to get a full mechanical one because you couldn't purchase one. Thats weird because for a time, you couldn't purchase a vacuum advance unit from MSD.

Now that I re-read the post, he has a mechanical advance unit with no provision for a vacuum advance on it.

Ken ... Could you help clear this up?

Your distributor is a mechanical advance unit only correct?

Does it have provisions for a vacuum advance unit ?

Can one be purchased and put on?

I had a MSD 8534 and there was no way to add a vacuum advance. Rumble is correct that it's a closed unit. Units that already have a vacuum advance can be converted to no vacuum advance but not the other way around. VTMopar if you look at those instructions you'll see it mentions the 8543 and 8544 but those are not the same distributors as Kenn has for sale.

Really? ARE you SURE? I mean,, what is posted is one thing, your commenting on another thing.

If I'm wrong, Thanks for the update. I was under the impression that the "As purchased" mechanical distributors were only mechanical and have no provision for a vacuum advance canister on the side due to the housing not having a hole or drilled and tapped holes to mount the vacuum can.

SO, your distrib has a vacuum advance and you had to remove it to get a full mechanical one because you couldn't purchase one. Thats weird because for a time, you couldn't purchase a vacuum advance unit from MSD.

Now that I re-read the post, he has a mechanical advance unit with no provision for a vacuum advance on it.

Ken ... Could you help clear this up?

Your distributor is a mechanical advance unit only correct?

Does it have provisions for a vacuum advance unit ?

Can one be purchased and put on?
there is no provision for vacuum advance....the 8534 is a mechanical avance only...thanks Kenn

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back