Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
MSD Performance Files for Chapter 11 to Find a Buyer
DBR Small Cap ,

Jacqueline Palank,

September 06, 2013,

(c) 2013 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.

MSD Performance Inc ., which makes performance auto products for street and racing use, on Thursday filed for Chapter 11 protection.

After failing to find a buyer to please its lenders last year, and with a forbearance period running out Friday, MSD Performance said it would use the breathing room offered in Chapter 11 to find a buyer.

"Running a marketing process under court supervision will enable the debtors to maintain their ongoing businesses and preserve the jobs of their approximately 450 employees," MSD Performance Chief Executive Ron Turcotte said in court papers filed Friday.

To ensure MSD Performance can afford the costs of a Chapter 11 sale process, lenders have agreed to let the company use the cash securing their claims, subject to court approval.

Based in El Paso, Texas, MSD Performance was founded in 1970 as a research and development company by two engineers who were working on a U.S. military missile range. It has since shifted gears, now making ignition performance products like performance coils, spark-plug wires and fuel-injection systems.

MSD Performance sought to accelerate its growth in 2005 and 2006, snapping up several companies---Superchips, Racepak and Edge Products---during the height of the mergers and acquisitions boom. Superchips' products, for instance, let users increase the horsepower, torque and fuel efficiency of their vehicles.

While the deals allowed MSD Performance to expand its product offerings, they also required the company to take on debt to fund the purchases. In 2009, MSD Performance sought to confront its significant debt load---as well as challenges from increasing competition and the economic downturn---through an out-of-court restructuring.

Still, its liquidity remained tight, and the company struck a deal with its lenders to push out its debt maturity from March 2012 to January 2013 as long as it put itself up for sale. While several offers came in, none were high enough for the lenders, who have since entered into a series of forbearance agreements with MSD Performance that have kept the debt from coming due.

Among MSD Performance's lenders is an affiliate of private equity firm Z Capital Partners LLC , which since May has acquired a majority of the $91.9 million that's currently outstanding. Z Capital this year offered to purchase MSD Performance's assets, but the company's other lenders couldn't reach a consensus on the offer before the forbearance period expired.

"The debtors remain hopeful, however, that negotiations with Z Capital or any other interested bidder will continue in connection with a court-supervised sale process," Mr. Turcotte said in court papers.

Any sale plans would be subject to the approval of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Wilmington, Del., where MSD Performance sought protection.

MSD Performance reported assets of $50 million to $100 million and debts of $100 million to $500 million in its bankruptcy petition.

Lawyers from Jones Day and Richards, Layton & Finger are representing MSD Performance in its bankruptcy case, which has been assigned to Judge Peter J. Walsh.

This should be interesting.

I suppose they aren't "too big to fail" so we won't have to worry about "Fearless Leader" stepping in to usurp the tax laws in this case, screw over the secured bond holders and grease any union labor.

MDS has been the victim of many Chinese knock offs being sold over the internet. Their 6AL ignition box has been copied and knock offs perfomance is slightly better than poor.
If you have an MDS 6AL ignition module, Part #6420 with the serial # 682013, it is a fake. Looks real but it is fake. All the knock offs use the same serial number (682013), and MDS has NEVER issued that number on an 6AL ignition.

One has to wonder how big a bite in lost revenues this sort of thing has taken from MDS. Not only the loss from the initial sale, but also the loss of customers, who follow the "I'll never buy another MDS again" logic.

For anyone who has purchased an MDS-6AL ignition Check the S/N. If it is 682013, it's fake. There is a very good article about this very thing in Nov. 2013 issue of Hotrod magazine.

...and, I don't care what you think of Hotrod magazine, either, so save it.

This should be interesting.

I suppose they aren't "too big to fail" so we won't have to worry about "Fearless Leader" stepping in to usurp the tax laws in this case, screw over the secured bond holders and grease any union labor.

MDS has been the victim of many Chinese knock offs being sold over the internet. Their 6AL ignition box has been copied and knock offs perfomance is slightly better than poor.
If you have an MDS 6AL ignition module, Part #6420 with the serial # 682013, it is a fake. Looks real but it is fake. All the knock offs use the same serial number (682013), and MDS has NEVER issued that number on an 6AL ignition.

One has to wonder how big a bite in lost revenues this sort of thing has taken from MDS. Not only the loss from the initial sale, but also the loss of customers, who follow the "I'll never buy another MDS again" logic.

For anyone who has purchased an MDS-6AL ignition Check the S/N. If it is 682013, it's fake. There is a very good article about this very thing in Nov. 2013 issue of Hotrod magazine.

Wow Ill have to check, WTF cant you buy anything now without the Chinese spoiling it. :wack: I try very hard not to buy anything from China but they even now put made in the US (Not USA) on there stuff too...Bill:protest:

Frankie, my fearless conservative friend, your dyslexia is acting up again. ;P :razz:
>>In the immortal words of Telesavalas, "Who loves you baby?"
Next thing you know, Oldmanmopar is gonna be correcting your grammar!

:thumblef:

This should be...MDS has been...MDS 6AL ignition module...MDS has NEVER...MDS. Not only the loss from the initial sale, but also the loss of customers, who follow the "I'll never buy another MDS again" logic.

Bite me. :)
...and I mean that in the nicest possible way.
MSD ok?

"MDS" are initials that have been part of my business life for a couple of decades. I'm in the Door and hardware business, and MDS stands for Multiple Door System. (or multi-Door System). lol It's a natural for me.

Bite me. :)
...and I mean that in the nicest possible way.
MSD ok?

"MDS" are initials that have been part of my business life for a couple of decades. I'm in the Door and hardware business, and MDS stands for Multiple Door System. (or multi-Door System). lol It's a natural for me.

he ment your Nov 2013 comment, its barely Sept.

anyways i was reading a post from comp plus and what happened is they bought alot of companies, like Racepac, and some others i cant remember right now, at the high. When the bottom fell out they were stuck with the same issue many people were with their homes, more debt than it was worth. by doing this they were trying to get the debt down and be able to get back into the green.

he ment your Nov 2013 comment, its barely Sept.

No he didn't. :roll:

and, The article I read is in the NOVEMBER 2013 issue of HOT ROD Mag.

The issue is sitting right here on my desk.

The Issue date is 11/13
. There's no mistake there.

Can someone euxplain alittle better what all that stuff meant but in plain english. All I really understood is MSD is in debt and for sale.:eek:ops:

Can someone euxplain alittle better what all that stuff meant but in plain english. All I really understood is MSD is in debt and for sale.:eek:ops:

Well, that's about the depth of it.

This sentence from the op, pretty much explains it all: "MSD Performance reported assets of $50 million to $100 million and debts of $100 million to $500 million in its bankruptcy petition".

In short the MSD company isn't worth the money it owes.
The company is estimated to be worth $50 million to $100 million dollars.
With claimed debts of $100 to $500 million dollars.
So, the company could be worth as little as 1/10th of the money it owes to it's secured bond holders.
Ideally, you like that to be just the opposite, but it hardly ever is, any more.

Does that help?

To much MSG in his garlic Chicken makie Frankie crankie!

Aaahemmm....
toetap.gif

The fake ones dont all have the same serial number anymore. Your best bet is to NOT BUY OFF EBAY! Get it direct from a real dealer. If your not sure the company your buying it off of is a real dealer Call MSD and ask them to look the company up and they will tell you.

The best way to tell is open it up and have a look inside. The Hot Rod article is VERY helpful.

When I bought my first (used) Canon 7D, the owner, who still had the (empty) box, had managed to drop his bag overboard, containing some lenses, the user manual AND THE CHARGER

So I bought a fake / counterfeit / scam / "not a real" charger off ebay. At that time, Canon was backordered on chargers and you could not find them ANYWHERE. So I thought I was """""""""lucky""""""""""

HERE is the result

http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=16970

The top few photos are the fake, the bottom few the (finally) Canon "real" one. You can NOT tell by looking. Only reason I took it apart was that "it rattled."

May not only be MSD. I was trying to install a Mallory Series 32 mechanical adv dist into my BB and found that the plate the sensor rides on is not secured to the dist housing at all, it just floats in there. I will be calling Mallory tech support and probably returning it to Summit, but that is whacked. Nothing in the instructions either on how to secure it.

Something like that can blow a new motor sky high.

-
Back