Mufflers like Dynomax

-

ethan santin

Buck eye jim you gotta go
Reaction score
Hello FABO,

I was coming on here to ask any of you for Muffler recomendations. I am looking to quite my car down (360 magnum with stock valve train, running long tubes and a 3 inch H pipe) and have been considering the dynomax super turbos. I have purchased them in the past for a /6 six Duster I used to own and was overall happy with the sound, however after a year of use, the muffler I guess "broke in" and the overall sound of the exhaust changed.

Do any of you have recomendations for similarly priced and preforming mufflers? Or would you guys recomend sticking with the dynomax mufflers? If any of you guys would like to chare your experiences with the super turbos, that would be greatly appreciated to hear. Thanks so much for reading. Have a good one.

Ethan

I have dynomax ultra flows to behind the axle and they aren’t very loud, or at least not annoyingly so at all. Probably louder than a super turbo.

@junkyardhero can confirm??

Last edited:
Stainless steel Dynomax Ultra Flows are a bit louder than the Super Turbos but they do sound good and will last longer due to better materials and construction. Here's what they sound like with a full 3" system.

I have NO personal experience with them, but check out Jones Exhaust, at summit. Stainless mufflers at a good price, and everything from a 5"thru pipe race muffler, to a 36" case turbo muffler.
If you want an excellent muffler recommendation, page @VOETOM.

Thank you @-Boosted- and @remytherat for the recomendations, have either of you experienced droneing with those mufflers? And would you say that they are quiter then the flowmaster 40s? thank you.
I have fm 50 series (three chamber, no drone) on one of my cars, love the sound and the flow is good... but mine are huge, and ridiculously expensive now.
I would not consider a two chamber fm for any car you want to use for more than a half hour.
The nickname for a fm 40 is "dronemonster".
Almost anything is quieter than a fm40.

I have fm 50 series (three chamber, no drone) on one of my cars, love the sound and the flow is good... but mine are huge, and ridiculously expensive now.
I would not consider a two chamber fm for any car you want to use for more than a half hour.
The nickname for a fm 40 is "dronemonster".
Thank you for the advice, yeah these 40 series are seriosuly no good, seriously do not recomend them, I have been daily driving my rig for almost a month now and the headache is immeasurable. I want to swap over to something tame and flows well. The super turbo seems like an obvious choice but I havent really liked the way that they sound from all the examlples I have found on youtube from people who are running similar set ups to mine.

Thank you for the advice, yeah these 40 series are seriosuly no good, seriously do not recomend them, I have been daily driving my rig for almost a month now and the headache is immeasurable. I want to swap over to something tame and flows well. The super turbo seems like an obvious choice but I havent really liked the way that they sound from all the examlples I have found on youtube from people who are running similar set ups to mine.
If you are getting rid of fm40s, almost anything will be an improvement. If you don't care for the Sound of turbos, I'd try something life a magnaflow or dynomax straight thru, (like boosted uses, I've heard his car in person, sounds great! But he has a LOT of motor).but I'd get the longest version that will fit under the car. (I've got 3"magnaflows on my car, with a 24"case, about double the normal turbo muffler)
Secret to a great performing, quiet exhaust system? The right size pipe, including the muffler thru pipe, and the biggest, longest case that'll fit under the car.

I put quiet flows on my 340, quiet not so much and some drone. I put some 12" resonators behind them and it helped on the drone. I wish I just put regular quiet mufflers on it but everyone just sell turbo at 2 1/2 diameter. Yes I'm getting old.
Here's the thread I asked about last month.
Quiet muffler

Exhaust.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you @-Boosted- and @remytherat for the recomendations, have either of you experienced droneing with those mufflers? And would you say that they are quiter then the flowmaster 40s? thank you.
Quieter and definitely better than a Flowmaster in every aspect (in my opinion). As for drone, I don't notice any although I don't really drive the car on the street much.... lol

i have the dynomax 2.5 inch mufflers provided with my tti x pipe exhaust system. they are what i consider to be pretty quiet with no drone

Slight drone at about 50 if I’m accelerating. At 70 they make little noise (or at least I can’t really hear them over the wind). I should mention that I have an x pipe.

Hello FABO,

I was coming on here to ask any of you for Muffler recomendations. I am looking to quite my car down (360 magnum with stock valve train, running long tubes and a 3 inch H pipe) and have been considering the dynomax super turbos. I have purchased them in the past for a /6 six Duster I used to own and was overall happy with the sound, however after a year of use, the muffler I guess "broke in" and the overall sound of the exhaust changed.

Do any of you have recomendations for similarly priced and preforming mufflers? Or would you guys recomend sticking with the dynomax mufflers? If any of you guys would like to chare your experiences with the super turbos, that would be greatly appreciated to hear. Thanks so much for reading. Have a good one.

Ethan

Dynomax makes the only “True” turbo as far as I know. Also they’re the highest flowing turbo muffler I can think of at the moment.

Moving away from a turbo muffler, my favorite is the chambered muffler. I like the sound of the Hooker Aero Chamber muffler. The center in and out I like the best.

You might want to tune into an episode of Engine Masters for the cheap muffler test. They run through turbo, chambered and straight through mufflers to compare on a dyno to see what they produce. It’s a pretty good episode.

I have dynomax ultra flows to behind the axle and they aren’t very loud, or at least not annoyingly so at all. Probably louder than a super turbo.

@junkyardhero can confirm??
can confirm.

not overbearingly loud, nice sound overall, good tone, gruff enough to let you know there's a V8 and you can hear it from about half a block if you're on it. pretty quiet inside even under accel.

Dynomax makes the only “True” turbo as far as I know. Also they’re the highest flowing turbo muffler I can think of at the moment.

Moving away from a turbo muffler, my favorite is the chambered muffler. I like the sound of the Hooker Aero Chamber muffler. The center in and out I like the best.

You might want to tune into an episode of Engine Masters for the cheap muffler test. They run through turbo, chambered and straight through mufflers to compare on a dyno to see what they produce. It’s a pretty good episode.
Had hooker aeros on this car. Didn't care for them at first, but when I got used to em, I really liked em. center in/out. Didn't have the tinny sound of flowmasters. A very solid muffler.

IMG_20221129_125321.jpg

I have the Dynomax Ultra flow stainless on Vixen with her hot slant 6 and I think it sounds purdy good.

I have the Summit 2.5 inch with H pipe setup and the Dynomax Super Turbos on my built 340 Sport. I love the sound from the outside. Inside, not so much. Cannot cruise and listen to the radio/CD player due to the noise.

I have the Summit 2.5 inch with H pipe setup and the Dynomax Super Turbos on my built 340 Sport. I love the sound from the outside. Inside, not so much. Cannot cruise and listen to the radio/CD player due to the noise.
Investigate “Helm Hurtz” pipes.

had these on my old yellow dart.. quieted it down nicely. still sounded good though... they are large *** mufflers. fit under the car fine ..

DSC06158.JPG
DSC06162.JPG
DSC06161.JPG
DSC06159.JPG

I have NO personal experience with them, but check out Jones Exhaust, at summit. Stainless mufflers at a good price, and everything from a 5"thru pipe race muffler, to a 36" case turbo muffler.
If you want an excellent muffler recommendation, page @VOETOM.
I love the sound of my Jones mufflers with 2 1/2" pipes.

Hooker Max Flo, the exhaust pulse will knock your neighbors pictures off the wall and rattle the dishware. perfect performance muffler. Aero chamber is a mellower version, sweet sound.

-
Back