Mufflers?

-

hemicop

Reaction score
What muffler with 3 1/2in inlet/outlet would you recommend for a '68 A-body? The car is mini-tubbed so the only place they'll fit is in front of the rear axle

i know the flowmasters super 40 and 44 are the right case size... i dont know if they come in 3.5" though...

and the super 40 greatly minimizes drone...

Check out Hooker Aero Chamber(p.n 21507 HKR) on a budget.Better would be Borla,2choices,( 1st, BOR 40945,BOR 40946). Those are Summitts part numbers.Punch that in their search engine,take a gander.

oh and we tried the magnaflows and they sounded like a chevy 350 in a 64 impala... TERRIBLE AND NOT HEMI LIKE!! lol

3-1/2" to the back bumper, thru hooker Aero Chamber mufflers
[ame=http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p106/mopwr2004a/?action=view&current=2012-07-19_11-59-42_937.mp4]
th_2012-07-19_11-59-42_937.jpg
[/ame]

If I may ask - what motor are you running in that car to need 3 1/2" pipes???

The type of muffler will depend on what you are looking to get out of them. If you want loud and brash then Flowmaster or other baffled mufflers will do the trick. If you are looking for maximum air flow / performance with some tone then a straight through glass pack type like Dynomax Ultraflos are good.

The type of muffler will depend on what you are looking to get out of them. If you want loud and brash then Flowmaster or other baffled mufflers will do the trick. If you are looking for maximum air flow / performance with some tone then a straight through glass pack type like Dynomax Ultraflos are good.
x2 on the ultraflos.i got them on my dart...dual 3" x-pipe.great sound, not too loud.

12.5-1, .030-440, ported 452 heads, wieand team G intake with a dominator, .650 lift 320 advertised duration mechanicl solid lifter cam. this engine setup got my old dart in the mid 10's, working out the new car blues rght now. it's all motor rght now but will have a NOS fogger and plate system on it. After I get the car to drive and handle correctly with this combo.

Sounds like a hot combo, depending of course on the heads. I run a similar motor with 11.2:1 compression with full ported Indy 440-1 heads, 2 1/4" to 2 1/8" headers and use 3" tubes, which seem ideal. Motor makes around 675 hp. Of course your NOS system will change the air flow a bit :)
I had Flowmaster Delta 50s on my car for awhile. I changed to the Ultraflows because the Flows were way too restrictive and causing my header evacuation check valves to fail. The Ultraflows are far less restrictive and actually toned the sound down a bit. Especially noticable at cruising speeds.

The motor's a 528 Hemi, 13:1 compression, solid lifter, x-ram dyno'd at 829@6500 . A friend's 505 FE motor has 2 1/2 in pipes & it sounds kinda "choked" to me. Around here it's not at all uncommon to see big-inch, hi compression set-ups with 3-4in pipes

The motor's a 528 Hemi, 13:1 compression, solid lifter, x-ram dyno'd at 829@6500 . A friend's 505 FE motor has 2 1/2 in pipes & it sounds kinda "choked" to me. Around here it's not at all uncommon to see big-inch, hi compression set-ups with 3-4in pipes

greg runs 3.5" on the 472's and up...

I thought so. Got any pics of the exhaust system? Everyone keeps telling me the pipes can't go outthe back once the springs are moved in & I SWEAR I've seen Greg's cars with pipes out the back

I thought so. Got any pics of the exhaust system? Everyone keeps telling me the pipes can't go out the back once the springs are moved in & I SWEAR I've seen Greg's cars with pipes out the back

i can think of at least 2 cars that we have done... the purple dart and the lambo orange dart... my computer is dead so i have all my pics stored or i could post some for you...

Thanks, mopwr2004a! That's what I'm trying to get. I didn't see why I copuldn't run the pipes under the gastank, but this shows it can be done!

problem is going to be getting around the right front corner of the tank. got pictures on my dead lap top, i will go see if i can't kick start it one more time.....

these pictures are of 3" pipes. don't think there will be any way to get a bigger pipe in there......going under the tank is going to have them hanging pretty low and require a 90 degree bend i would think....

as you can see I have a fuel cell in the trunk. I think if you really wanted to do it. take a factory tank and narrow it on both sides by a few inches. lots of welding but it is possible, or order a custom built replacement tank. It just depends on how bad and how much wrk you are willing to do to make it happen. it's metal so it can be cut and welded back together.

in the link i provided someone did talk about/post pictures of trimming the tank down.....only was needed on the right side....

I have 8" cherry bombs in front of my flow 40's and they really helped take down the raspyness it had before the bombs were added. I dump at the axle. 3" X pipe system on a 416.

yea we go under the tank... and its not any more of a bend than going over the axle...

-
Back