My 422 smallblock build

-
What mufflers?

I also didn’t realize you are so young!
LOL

What mufflers?

I also didn’t realize you are so young!
LOL
It’s open headers in the video but the car has Flowmaster Super 44s on it. 2.5” exhaust and factory style tips.

Haha. I’m 42. That’s my oldest, he’s almost 15 and he got the honors of turning the key.

It’s open headers in the video but the car has Flowmaster Super 44s on it. 2.5” exhaust and factory style tips.

Haha. I’m 42. That’s my oldest, he’s almost 15 and he got the honors of turning the key.

Wow 1998 I was 42 I think. Wow I did that without a calculator.

Heat cycled it a couple times tonight and haven’t found any leaks yet. Definitely going to need a bigger carb- the 650 Holley DP ain’t gonna cut the mustard and I will probably end up recurving the distributor. But overall I’m pretty stoked about the initial test. I think she’s going to be a real animal on the street.

Freakin YouTube keeps taking the video down of my boy starting the car because they say it’s “a child in a dangerous situation”. Fuckin commies.

Cool. Same spread in years with my eldest kid, my daughter. She’s 30 now.
Freakin YouTube keeps taking the video down of my boy starting the car because they say it’s “a child in a dangerous situation”. Fuckin commies.
Yea man! That’s messed up. You would probably have to give a monologue of what’s going on and the safety precautions taken to keep him and yourself safe.

If the carb is an old school 650 that doesn’t have 4 corner idle, then yeh………it’s probably going to be a challenge to get it happy idling in gear.

Nowadays, you can get just about any sized carb with 4 corner idle, but 30 years ago…….if you wanted it on something other than a “race” carb, you had to either have someone modify the carb, or learn how to do it yourself.

“Back in the day” I used to do them regularly.
Then at some point in the 90’s Holley started equipping 4779’s(750) and 4781’s(850) with it.
The 4777’s(650) never got it…….and afaik, still don’t have it(along with 4778’s(700) and 4780’s(800)……..although there are plenty of other 650’s that do.

I modded my dyno mule 4777 to have it.

2F72584D-A52D-4550-A81E-36462BA374E2.jpeg

0FE7440D-F867-4254-AFE5-A75CFDB27792.jpeg

If the carb is an old school 650 that doesn’t have 4 corner idle, then yeh………it’s probably going to be a challenge to get it happy idling in gear.
Yes, it is an ancient 650 without 4 corner idle. Most likely late 70’s-early 80’s vintage, so it doesn’t disappoint me that I need to step up to something more modern. The car is a 4 speed so in gear idle isn’t relevant but because of the small throttle bores and the size of the engine and camshaft, I’m pretty sure it’s trying to pull on the boosters at idle. I’m gonna look for a deal on an 850-950 with no choke horn before I spend too much time trying to tune this thing. My heart says Holley HP but my wallet says Proform.

A lot of new builds get Brawlers here.

Although, looking at the current pricing($750 vs $620), I’d be leaning towards a Proform too.

Last edited:
I slapped my Edelbrock 800 AVS
off of my Barracuda onto the W2 motor in the Swinger and it ran great . Less top end power than my Pro Systems 4150 but had good idle and off idle transition .

Picked up a lightly used Quick Fuel 850 last night for less than half the cost of a new one. Pretty stoked about it. Gonna break it down and give it a thorough cleaning before installing and starting the tuning process. After that I’ll back it out of the garage and give the car a good washing (been sitting on jack stands in the garage for almost 2 years now). Then take it out on the road for a few test hits before hooking up the exhaust again. Gotta do some open header blasts! Videos to come.

IMG_6122.png

Let’s seeeeee…….
$921 for a zinc cast HP950, or $752 for an aluminum Brawler 850 with billet metering blocks and baseplate.

I know which way I’d go.

(There’s also ATM and Proform 850’s for even less $$$)

Last edited:
Let’s seeeeee…….
$921 for a zinc cast HP950, or $752 for an aluminum Brawler 850 with billet metering blocks and baseplate.

I know which way I’d go.

Before I bought the Brawler I’d call ATM and buy from them.

For that size engine you really need a true 850 IMO.

BTW the tune up on those carbs ^^^ isn’t bad. They don’t take a ton of work.
Hey Newbomb...can you further elaborate on why you recommend a "true 850"? Don't want to hijack so I won't elaborate on why I ask. Thx!

Hey Newbomb...can you further elaborate on why you recommend a "true 850"? Don't want to hijack so I won't elaborate on why I ask. Thx!

IMO you chose a carb based on venturi and throttle bore diameter and not on CFM.

A true 850 flows more air than a 950.

I will say that the weight difference between the antique 4777 and the new-to-me QFT-850 is substantial. I didn’t scale the 850 before installing it but I would say it is less than half of the 4777 Holley.

-
Back