My 67 Cuda Project Begins!

-
S

SealockRacing

well, here it is, not much right now, but, this is the first pic i took of it in the garage once the shop was finished. ill take some more pictures, but this will give you an idea of what im working with...

some updates are that i have cleaned all the junk from around the car, and gotten most of the older parts back together in the same area, taken out the 20+ year old batteries out of the trunk, and just been looking it over. the interior is prefect still, nothing needs to be done to it, just some cleaning and to glue the carpets back in maybe. the trunk needs some work, where the batteries acid leaked out, it has started to do its work on the sheet metal, nothing some neutralizer and flat black spray paint cant fix, and then i just need to mount the new fuel cell in place. ill get pics before and after of this. chassis, everything is fine, just needs to be cleaned and went over, i need to nut and bolt the entire car, and just check and re-check all nuts and bolts, and make sure everything is nice and tight. also i need to find the brake calipers which are either at my dads old work, or buried in the garage somewhere. it also needs a new set of slicks, and skinnies, so add tires to the list. now, where the real work is needed...the engine/ engine bay/ wiring...i need to get the block and heads back from the machine shop that they have been at for 20 years or so, or atleast try, clean up our pistons, and clean and maybe paint the rods up, they have some surface rust. either get a new crank, or try and fix our completely rusted up crank. get all new hardware and that stuff. and work on getting all the right wires wired up to the right things.

all in all, it doesnt need much, and my target date to have it done is the next mopar show, which is october 27, 2008. shouldnt be too hard.

well here is the one pic i have of it pretty much how it sits now. ill take updated pictures as i go along and get things done.

i would subscribe if i was you
wink.gif

here we go!

bdsfiv.jpg

Wow man,

That barracuda is cool.
I love that old school look.
Did you build it that way or buy it like that?

Nice car .
I'd like to see a full side view of that paint job.

i didnt buy it, i am only 17 lol. but, my dad bought this car from his fater back in the 70's i think, and then raced it, and bulit it up to where you see it today. im just trying to clean the car up, and get it ready for a motor, i want to start racing this thing in march, but we'll see

here is an update as well on my trunk work to tackle some rust
UPDATE!!!

pics of trunk before, notice all the rust and dirt and grime. yuck!
80xfq6g.jpg

6lwbhxj.jpg

now, for the rust killer paint stuff, cleaned it all up, but its still visible
8ansev4.jpg

6qa7brk.jpg

now, for the paint . nothing special, just some flat black like it used to be. cleaned up pretty good i must say
71lw6ir.jpg

6q1y8e9.jpg

(btw, i ran out of paint on the drivers side tub, but, its been painted nicely like the rest of the truck area, so no need to mention that)

tommorow i will assemble the fuel cell, and re plumb and wire the stuff back up, itll look nice

Gotta resize that pic though.
Do you have a photobucket account?
It's free and they will host as many pics as you want.
Need any more help, just ask anyone here.

well, today i got most of the stuff re assembled, and installed. hooked up all the connections, and tightened all of the fuel fittings back up. looks like we need a 90* elbow for our vent tube on the tank, and to fabricate a custom bracket for the lower fuel cell mounts.

ill finish up some stuff tommorow, and take some new pictures.

thanks for the great responses. i plan on keeping this car my entire life, and when i am older, i want to fully restore the car, strip everything down, bead blast it all, and just start over, make it a brand new race car again.

so what should i take on next? the underside/ belly pan and stuff? or the interior clean up?

UPDATE!
finished my assembly of the trunk area, i know its not THAT nice, and that perfect, but, for how bad it really was, this is quite an improvement, plus, its just the trunk, i will do a much better job later down the road and get the whole car redone or something..

DSC00880.jpg

DSC00879.jpg

DSC00878.jpg

I've got only one complaint with everything you've done so far....you called this a race car. I think it should be a STREET CAR! :D I know I'd be pretty intimidated if it pulled up next to me at a traffic light! :notworth::thumblef:

:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

Hey I know this car,I've seen it on goweenie nation lawlz. Just joined,started a thread on my car. Your car is looking good man

Good luck with your project, looks great... and you are only 17, very impressive!!!

yeah man! thanks, im trying, but its not too hard considering how ive been around this stuff since before i could walk.

i could have done a bit better on everything in the trunk, but, the decklid wont be off very often at the track, i just needed it cleaned up to look alright, which it sure did. trust me, in person, it looks amazing, its just the flash on the camera brings out all the imperfections

well...i start on the interior tommorow, ill take a few more pics for sure! itll be super clean and nice when i am done :)

well, heres some more pictures. the interior starts monday :D

me and my dad set the decklid on, seeing that everything is done under there, so thatll keep it pretty clean for the mean time. we also put the hood on there just to get it to stay flat and how it should.

so, here is what ive got interior wise

DSC00895.jpg

DSC00894.jpg

DSC00893.jpg

DSC00890.jpg

DSC00889.jpg

DSC00887.jpg

DSC00886.jpg

now, for the exterior shots

DSC00885.jpg

DSC00883.jpg

I will dream that is my car tonight:love4:
Nice barracuda and. Keep up the good work.

Spoon dish wheels look like an old set I had.:toothy7:

nah, the wheels will be mirror polished, and touched up. new slicks, and maybe new front tires, even though they seem pretty solid, idk if id trust em at 130mph haha. so, now starts the interior. will be alot better than the trunk area, i just needed to get that rust taken care of, and get it looking better.

lots of new carpet, and cleaning and refinishing will go on in the interior. i might even look into an x-brace, not sure though. maybe new steering wheel, window net, and more than likely new belts.

itll keep me busy for a while.

next up is getting the engine bay cleaned up, what do you guys think? body color, or leave it flat black?

thanks for the awesome compliments, and comments guys!

bump!

i will try and start cleaning the wheels a little bit today, and probably start pricing my front brake setup...

Awesome project you got there.
Got to love those A-body race cars.
I would go with body color engine compartment.
Keep up the great work :thumblef:

bump, havent really gotten much work done, just taken everything out of the interior, like all the junk that was in there in those pictures. i need to vacuum the carpet, and re glue it in some spots, than get some carpetting to do the tubs and rear firewall and ledge. and just check over everything.

ill post new pics once i vacuum it out, and start the tubs and stuff

well, no update yet either, been too busy trying to get caught up on school work, and been working until about 9pm every night... im off everyother saturday, so i will get alot more done now and i also i have sundays to work on it.

this weekend i will get ALOT done, i found the front calipers and parts to rebuild them, i will probably sandblast them at work, and then reassemble with the new stuff, ill be throwing the front rotors on the lathe at work, and using a sanding disc to refinish those, since they are slotted and cant be cut.

what else, oh, i will be vacuuming the carpets, and wiping everything down most likely. ill probably pull the dif cover off of it and let the old oil drain, and soak the cover in the varsol tank at work this week to get all the grease and stuff off of it and then refill it with royal purple gear oil.

then ill work on polishing the wheels and getting my new slicks mounted, which i got for free from a family friend :D.

thanks for all the looks and comments. keep them coming, ill get some new pictures this weekend and week :D

cool progress, i like the color of the car, and the old style mag rims(i got em too) :thumbup: Its good to see another younger enthusist on here and better yet working on a cuda :D

cool progress, i like the color of the car, and the old style mag rims(i got em too) :thumbup: Its good to see another younger enthusist on here and better yet working on a cuda :D

yeah man, bummer on the camera charger being lost. the battery is dead as can be, and i have no way to charge it now ha. but ill snap a few new pics after i stop by radioshack, ill try and go today before work.

ill have new slicks mounted, the brakes bled and working properly, the trunk completely finished up, and the wheels polished and cleaned. ill also probably clean the dif. cover and refill it with some royal purple 90 weight.

not too much to do and fix before than, just a decent sized order from summit within the next couple weeks.

thanks for the interest in my car.

youre doing some amazing work on your 'cuda man! keep it up!

-
Back