My 71 scamp!

-
I feel you pain about the storage. I have two 72 Scamps and one unfortunately has to live out in the weather for now. I'm thinking about a cheap car cover to keep the worst of it out. At least my car doesn't have body work started...

well guys things have changed for the better over here.....i just rolled the car in high build primer yesterday....it was a long day but it turned out good....I have been getting alot of help from BobsDart and all the advice he has been giving me has been really really helpful...the car is now ready for some more blocking, then off to the paintshop it goes for a colour i have not seen on any mopar yet.....2008 Viper snakeskin metallic! I also got my friend to hook me up with a storage barn were a guy stores 50 cars a year, and im only being charged 300 bucks for 6 months....anyways guys ill try to post some pics soon if my bloody camera starts working agin....hopefully will be in paint mid-end of october....stay tuned!

hey guys made more progress....i just finished priming the car in high build this friday....but since i couldnt spray it, i went with Bobsdart advice and i used rollers....it took from about 2 in the afternoon to 9 at night to do 3 solid coats, but it was worth it....im glad i didnt go the spraycan route....if anyone cant spray the primer on their car, this is definatly a much better route than going with spray cans...here are some pics...currently finishing up the trunk and tubs and will then move on to the door jambs before i start actually blocking the primer so it can settle a little bit....thanks to everyone's advice so far, especially bobsdart who has constantly helped me through pm'ing

DSC04809.jpg

DSC04810.jpg

DSC04811.jpg

and a few more

DSC04812.jpg

DSC04820.jpg

DSC04821.jpg

this is a more recent pic of my dad's 69 dart that he just finished...he just lowered it with homemade 2-1/2" blocks to give it a mean prostreet stance

DSC04813.jpg

your Scamp is looking great, and could we get a side view of Dads lowered Dart

hey guys,

there is a video of my dad's dart that i posted in the resto forum...it shows the nice side view of his stance

regarding the primer, i used 4 inch foam rollers made for Melamine paint....it actually went of on half decent for being rolled....i did my best to make it smooth and not leave edges where the roller ended, but it was inevitable at times, and im not really concerned since its going to all be blocked down nicely anyways...thats why i would recommend this option to those who cant spray the primer and dont want to use spray bombs....roll it on, because it is still giving the benefit of a high build product and you can sand it down nice afterwards

well its hard to say till i start sanding....the reason i did three coats is because i wanted to make sure i had enough on there so that when i sand i wouldnt go through the primer....the only real problem with using a roller other than that it takes longer is that the roller doesnt let all the paint go on, so the roller eats up alot of paint that could have been used....ill find out once i start sanding how thick the coats were

hey guys...this post is mainly for bob so he can try to see the dilemna im facinf right now...sorry bob, these pics are pretty bad quality, but you can kind of see the dark areas and thats where the pitting is....like i said i think i need to go over it again, hopefully just one more time and thats it...everything was done right, and the car was prepped and cleaned properly before applying it, so i cant see what went wrong...anyways bob, please take a look and tell me if this looks familiar and what you think i should do...

matcar2.jpg

matcar3.jpg

matcar1.jpg

thanks 70dartmike...just finished the trunk yesterday- tubs are all sanded and i applied some really durable rocker guard on the trunk floor to cover up the imperfections and make it a little tougher....i was blockin it all down with 180 and guidecoat today and I put spot putty where needed....the car is straight already, with only a few low spots needing to be filled in, so im very pleased with that....for my first time doing bodywork, id say im pretty confident with my work....as far as the pitting goes, im going to see what bob tells me, but regardless im going to have to do another coat of highbuild, and hopefully that takes care of everything....as far as the gf goes, yes she is good lookin and ive converted her to the religion of mopar or no car lol...ill keep you guys posted on the progress

Hey guys more progress, but no pics =(....camera is still broken....

I have since last post decided that the rolling of the primer gave me way too many problems, and i dont think the pitting was from solvent pop, but from just applying heavy coats (because it is a roller) a little fast (while rolling)....I finally convinced my dad to do it the spray way, so we totally mumified the garage, bought a $35 HVLP gun from princess auto, and sprayed 3 generous coats of high build (God must have wanted me to do this because it went from 4 degrees to 17 on the couple days that i sprayed...hopefully i still have more luck)

Since then i have blocked the whole car down in 180 (some parts have already gotten 255) and i can tell you it feels soooo good to not see any pitting and no that it will soon be on its way to the booth...to the booth im taking it to is down for maintenance for a couple of weeks, so i have just enough time to finish the car in 255, then 400 and then pulling the motor an doing in there....I also ordered a dual snorkel scoop from a local guy who should have it ready soon (hopefully) and the colour scheme has been finalized as sublime with a black hood and scoop (not sure if im going with flat, gloss or matte black yet)....things are coming along good right now except for the fact that there is only one nice day of weather left here in Ontario for the month according to the weather station, so im crossing my fingers that the weather gets better so i can pull it out to work on it...it also helps that my school is currently on strike, giving me more time to work on the car

It feels good knowing that the long journey i started on in August is soon coming to an end with an awesome reward...ill post up some pics when it gets closer to paint and when its actually painted!:-D

Hey guys,

been busy blocking the car down in 255 with spray paint (my guidecoat lol)....the car is looking great and i cant wait to get it in paint...I did go through the primer in some areas, but it happened since there wasnt much on there, plus i dont mind because the car will be sealed before paint...I also picked up a dual snorkel scoop which will be going on the car...got it from showcars bodyparts here in Ontario, Canada and it turned out pretty good for the 200 bucks Canadian i paid for it...it needs a little more work, which is nothing out of my league now, but for the price it was much better than for me to spend 300 US plus shipping to get it to my door...anyways check out the pics and i will keep you guys posted on progress towards paint- next is pulling the motor and the engine bay!:toothy10:

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

DSC00007.jpg

DSC00006.jpg

DSC00016.jpg

DSC00017.jpg

Hey guys, finally made some more progress after a long break...my dad talked to his boss about bringing my car in to pull the motor since they have a nice heated shop...well his boss said yes so we loaded it on a dolly and brought it over...tommorow we will be pulling out the /6 and 904, and then im going to sand and clean up the engine bay...once the holidays are over, the highest level body guys in the apprenticeship program are going to finish priming and blocking the car and then paint it for me...im starting to get excited...the car should be done getting painted by the end of february...next time it comes home it will have paint! Ill post some more pics soon after i get the motor pulled.
IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

The snorkel looks nice on the Scamp! I'm partial to it for obvious reasons. It's cool you are getting help on your car during the cold months when you probably wouldn't be driving it anyway. I tend to go into hibernation and not much gets done in the winter. I'm trying to correct that though. :)

hey redscampi,

yes im pretty stoked with the look of the snorkel, and im also very glad that the body students at my dad's school are going to finish it off for me...as optimistic, ambitious and dedicated as i was to finishing the bodywork and paint before the end of september, things didnt go as planned and the car is still unpainted...luckily though its almost ready for paint, and the body guys are going to do the final stages of work before spraying it in the snakeskin hue with black hood/scoop and black butt stripe (courtesy of challengergary)

Keep up the great work. All that hard work will pay off in the end. Before you know it will have fresh paint on it and you'll be grinning ear to ear. Good luck!

It looks like you have done some really good work. A little word of advise. Make sure you cover or remove the fenders and hood. If you get any grease on there, all that great work you have done will end up ruined once it's painted.

hey guys,

thanks for the comments...didnt even think about bringing some towels to cover the fenders, gettin that ready right now...I cant wait to get the motor out of her...thats one step closer to a 340! anyways ill post some more pics tommoro after im done...cheers!

well the tired /6 is out! took only a few hours at my dad's work to get her out, and another couple of hours to strip all the parts from the engine bay and clean up. The slant has a crack in one of the cylinders which explains the problems we had with it, so it went to the scrap pile. It was my first time pulling a motor, and it definatly went quicker with my dad pointing out what to do, but i did most of the work and it was a great learning experience. Here are some pics of the mess we made at his shop (all cleaned up now)...going in next week to finish prepping the engine bay so that when classes resume January 5th, the body guys can start finishing her up...im very excited about all of this...anyways enjoy guys and hopefully soon ill be posting some pics of her in paint!
IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

-
Back