My Challenge to U /6ers....

-
It not just the ricers who have more than one cam, more than 2 valves per cylinder, etc.. If there was a easy way to put a late model power plant under a classic hood,
I would do it even if it had to be front wheel drive. I think a lot of people would.
The yestermotor like a inline six with its long stroke might pull a school bus up a steep hill but it will never run with the modern passenger cars.

FABO member, Ryan Peterson's turbocharged '66 Valiant (2,800 pounds) runs 10.60's at 127 miles per hour...

Just what "modern passenger cars" can he not run with?

Oh, sure, there are some 8-second twin turbo Mustang race cars that he obviously couldn't handle, but I don't know of ANY stock, showroom car he can't outrun.... short of a Bugatti Veyron.

Do you?

In your original post, one of the requirements was, "it can keep up w/ a Camry, for example."

I just watched a stock, showroom, 2011 Camry beat a 308 Ferrarri (like the one Magnum P.I. used to drive on that TV show) in a quarter-mile drag race on a syndicated program called "The Car Show."

Ever since the Camry received the Avalon 3.5-liter V6, in about 1996, the magazines that road test them usually report quarter mile times of 14.40s at nearly 100 MPH (99+). A Nissan Altima V6 is even faster...

A normally aspirated slant six that will keep up with a new Camry will cost you a lot more than what you're suggesting.

You COULD do it with a turbocharged slant six, but you'd have to know what you were doing... and get some good deals on parts...

WEll, here is my recipe. 67 Slant six, running stock, mega miles but runs good. 100 bucks. 50 buck Holley 350 CFM 2bbl. another 50 got me a 2bbl intake and an adapter. Scored a CT26 Supra turbo for $60 off craigs. Carb hat is an old GMC Diesel piece, $12 at pick-a-part as an air cleaner. Blow off valve was 35, turbo plumbing and no frills exhaust was about 100 including the mandrel 2.5 U bend and the silicon adapters/clamps and 3" turbo ducting. All crappy welds were done by myself. Look terrible but they dont leak. All this going through a 2.76 or a 2.93 rear gear. Have not run this yet, but I predict a 9 psi boost, and every 15 reportedly doubles your HP so maybe 230 HP. Mileage should be decent, but torque will be huge and that gets you moving. 200-250 in a teen is way possible, but your mileage (cruising) and torque (under boost)will not be more than mine. Whatever works for you, how about a 2.2/2.5 turbo with a 5 speed out of a light truck? Mileage and up to 275 HP.

I just watched a stock, showroom, 2011 Camry beat a 308 Ferrarri (like the one Magnum P.I. used to drive on that TB show) in a quarter-mile drag race on a syndicated program called "The Car Show."

Ever since the Camry received the Avalon 3.5-liter V6, in about 1996, the magazines that road test them usually report quarter mile times of 14.40s at nearly 100 MPH (99+). A Nissan Altima V6 is even faster...

A 308 GTS weighed 2700 lbs and only had 240 HP 0-60 @ 6.8 and a ET of 14.7 (weak!) . The Camry @ 3400 lbs has almost 270 HP out of a V6.

2010 Toyota Camry SE 0-60 mph 8.0 Quarter Mile 16.2

2011 Toyota Camry LE 0-60 mph 8.3 Quarter Mile 16.2

2012 Toyota Camry LE (2.5L) 0-60 mph 8.7 Quarter Mile 16.0

2011 Toyota Camry XLE V6 0-60 mph 5.8 Quarter Mile 14.4 (faster than a Subaru WRX!!)

2010 Nissan Altima 3.5SR Sedan 0-60 mph 5.7 Quarter Mile 14.2 (wow!

Hey, new cars are fast, but they got NO CLASS!

WEll, here is my recipe. 67 Slant six, running stock, mega miles but runs good. 100 bucks. 50 buck Holley 350 CFM 2bbl. another 50 got me a 2bbl intake and an adapter. Scored a CT26 Supra turbo for $60 off craigs. Carb hat is an old GMC Diesel piece, $12 at pick-a-part as an air cleaner. Blow off valve was 35, turbo plumbing and no frills exhaust was about 100 including the mandrel 2.5 U bend and the silicon adapters/clamps and 3" turbo ducting. All crappy welds were done by myself. Look terrible but they dont leak. All this going through a 2.76 or a 2.93 rear gear. Have not run this yet, but I predict a 9 psi boost, and every 15 reportedly doubles your HP so maybe 230 HP. Mileage should be decent, but torque will be huge and that gets you moving. 200-250 in a teen is way possible, but your mileage (cruising) and torque (under boost)will not be more than mine. Whatever works for you, how about a 2.2/2.5 turbo with a 5 speed out of a light truck? Mileage and up to 275 HP.

I LOVE IT!!!!:cheers:

What a great selection of low-dollar, but VERY EFFECTIVE parts to throw at a /6!!!

I think you're going to have more boost than that (9 pounds), but, what do I know???

How about some pictures of your exhaust/turbo mount, please? You didn't elaborate on that setup...

I just really, really love that whole deal!!! Let us know how it runs and how much you spent, please.

I am way curious... and envious!!!:blob:

Bill

A 308 GTS weighed 2700 lbs and only had 240 HP 0-60 @ 6.8 and a ET of 14.7 (weak!) . The Camry @ 3400 lbs has almost 270 HP out of a V6.

2010 Toyota Camry SE 0-60 mph 8.0 Quarter Mile 16.2

2011 Toyota Camry LE 0-60 mph 8.3 Quarter Mile 16.2

2012 Toyota Camry LE (2.5L) 0-60 mph 8.7 Quarter Mile 16.0

2011 Toyota Camry XLE V6 0-60 mph 5.8 Quarter Mile 14.4 (faster than a Subaru WRX!!)

2010 Nissan Altima 3.5SR Sedan 0-60 mph 5.7 Quarter Mile 14.2 (wow!

Hey, new cars are fast, but they got NO CLASS!

I agree. It's not about how fast you get to point A to point B, but how good you look getting there. :iconbigg:

But it makes sense as to why everyone out in Vegas drives their pieces of plast-...err I mean CARS so damned fast. I don't think a "Family car" should be going faster than a Subaru WRX...Plus even new minivans skeet...It's unreal...Oyie...Whatever...Everyone's always in a hurry to go nowhere...What's the point of going that fast if you're not taking it to a drag strip? I'm just gonna watch you whiz by me as I go 40 in a 45 and slowly pull up to you at the next red light. :glasses7:

I think a turbocharged 4BBl /6 would be cool. Clearly you'd have to upgrade the cooling system and then up-....Grr what's the point?!?! Cruise and appreciate life unless you're taking the car to the drag strip like Mopar Kid!

I agree,i just go for a cruise in mine every day go to the shops or wherever.Visit mates and have had young people at the garage or shops asking me what it is and then saying thats way cool.puts a smile on my face and get the odd wave out on the road.

I'd say find a manual transmission, fuel inject it at the least, and keep the engine maintained and clean. FI gives the best gas adjustment, direct FI and turbo makes it better. The manual prevents the power loss due to switching energies.
Check the diff, and match everything to the fuel injection so it stays smooth. Don't port the heads, you will want the ledges for mileage. And I'd only use one type of fuel- most computers and carbs don't adjust for the different levels of fuel (I didn't say that right).
That would give you a great basis for all the other options, which push the 1500 limit.
I have a ram 2500 diesel work truck and I get 23-26 mpg. You drive a v-style engine, you ride behind a straight. It's all about the flow of power.

If ya want Camry performance and mileage,buy a Camry.....60s tech cant compare to 80s tech without spending more money than you want to.MY OPINION

If ya want Camry performance and mileage,buy a Camry.....60s tech cant compare to 80s tech without spending more money than you want to.MY OPINION

Low 14's, 100mph quarter-miles speeds...
30 mpg...
You could do worse than a Camry...:wack:

I don't think it is possible within your $1500 budget, unless you do all the work yourself, and do not have to pay for machine shop work or welding.
I have a 64 valiant 170 slant six, three on the tree. Built for economy. Honest 9.5 to 1 engine, gets 27-29 mpg on the highway. Cost about $1200 to do the engine. To do what you want I would build the engine very similar, but lower compression to about 8.7 and use a low boost turbo setup. Limit boost to about 6-8 lbs. You must keep the compression up to have effecency off boost.

Here's my challenge to you. Do ALL THAT WHICH YOU SPECIFIED on a V8. Even the fuel economy.

You may not even have to switch sides with the intake or exhaust DFX. In this particular scenario, it wouldnt help as much, but simply heat wrap both the intake and the exhaust manifold (headers). Less fab work to be done and even less money spent. im no scientist, so im just gonna sit back and watch lol

Maybe it's time to look at a Turbo setup - doesn't seem too hard or expensive. Especially more compellin' wit' the 5-6Spd Trans.
I LOVE IT!!!!:cheers:

What a great selection of low-dollar, but VERY EFFECTIVE parts to throw at a /6!!!

I think you're going to have more boost than that (9 pounds), but, what do I know???

How about some pictures of your exhaust/turbo mount, please? You didn't elaborate on that setup...

I just really, really love that whole deal!!! Let us know how it runs and how much you spent, please.

I am way curious... and envious!!!:blob:

Bill

Don't knock the ebay turbos! They're actually pretty good and you can pick one up for about $600

What are we doing?! We should submit this to Mopar Muscle! You know they would get in on this!

As for the comment about them Newer cars having: "NO CLASS".

I'll give that a big DITTO!

Here's my challenge to you. Do ALL THAT WHICH YOU SPECIFIED on a V8. Even the fuel economy.

I'll give you that. And, I think we all really know that going the V8 route is the quickest way to get teh extra power.....but can we pull out 25-30mpg consistently, and w/ good drivability?

Actually, this sounds like a challenge for the V8s needs to come. But for now, I wanna give the /6 some love.

-
Back