My Dart Swinger Project!

-
He was more than happy with it, I was pissed, had to turn the heat on in the garage last night, before the final clear coat, and it put a fine coat of dust in the paint.

He was more than happy with it, I was pissed, had to turn the heat on in the garage last night, before the final clear coat, and it put a fine coat of dust in the paint.
Yep never fails. Lol that's why I hate it.

At least he was happy. He is more of a go fast guy, his truck is a square body chevy with a 489 twin turbo.
He told me today, when I pointed out the dust, I was too pickey.

Starting the body work and paint process finally. Started striping the dart down. I'm hoping to get a little more done tomorrow evening I'm gonna start putting epoxy down a panel at a time

20240616_143820.jpg

20240616_143830.jpg

20240616_161059.jpg

20240617_194833.jpg

Yea its one of the Bauer brand 6 inch hook and loop da. It works pretty good.
They do work good, I bought one so the wife could sand the glue from the floor in the upstairs bathroom.
It took care of it quick, I have also used it to sand drywall.
A lot more convenient than running 200ft of air hose thru the house.

They do work good, I bought one so the wife could sand the glue from the floor in the upstairs bathroom.
It took care of it quick, I have also used it to sand drywall.
A lot more convenient than running 200ft of air hose thru the house.
Yea my compressor isn't no where big enough to run a DA so I did alot of research on the electric ones and that one seemed to be the best bang for buck. Harbor freight had their brand, warrior for 39 I had a coupon and got the Bauer brand for the same price. I feel it's probably better than the warrior one. I got to find a little 3 inch angle sander for the hard to reach places that 6 inch wheel is hard to fit in tight corners. And I gotta upgrade my air compressor soon. I can't afford the size I need and I don't have a 220 hookup in my shop for a big one. So I'm thinking about trying to find another used 21 gallon one and teeing them together. That would give me 41 gal and should double my cfm. I also considered of I can find just a tank 40-50 gal for cheap buying it and buying one of those 24 cfm pumps with the pulley and just running a gas motor on it. I have a spare predator engine brand new in the box

My compressor is relatively small, like a 3hp, 20 gallon tank, but I have it plumbed into my old 30 gallon tank, so there is plenty of reserve air.
I bought my compressor from tractor supply. It has held up well.
I also put plenty of water catches in the garage, and the compressor is outside in it own dedicated building.
Outside is so nice not having to listen to the compressor.

My compressor is relatively small, like a 3hp, 20 gallon tank, but I have it plumbed into my old 30 gallon tank, so there is plenty of reserve air.
I bought my compressor from tractor supply. It has held up well.
I also put plenty of water catches in the garage, and the compressor is outside in it own dedicated building.
Outside is so nice not having to listen to the compressor.
Yea I gotta build something for mine it's obnoxiously load. It's a harbor freight special lol I've had it for years tho. It is one of the old central pneumatic one they don't even make them anymore they are husky or something like that now. It's a 2.5 hp 21 gal it does ok but stuff that requires constant air like painting, sand blasting, da, etc it runs out of steam fast. And the motor can't keep up it will run constantly and not build enough to keep up the psi. When I painted my engine bay and door jams I had to spray until the compressor kicked on and then wait a couple mins then spray again. I didn't have to wait for it turn off completely but just build up some. I wish I could set it somehow to kick on sooner before the tank got so low so it wouldn't take so long to fill back up. It a 150 psi compressor but it don't kick the motor on until it get to below 70 psi or so. I wish I could set it to kick in at like 100 or 120 so it would run more ofter but it wouldn't run as long. I think it would be more efficient that way.

Buy an old compressor at a flea market or yard sale, add an extra tank, and take the control off it, it should kick on at like 100 psi.

Yea its one of the Bauer brand 6 inch hook and loop da. It works pretty good.
Is it a variable speed so you can run the speed up and down when you need to? I've had to do the "Sand and wait" thing with my air DA's for years. I've finally got a new compressor that's a 2 stage, 5 horse, 60 gallon tank so it will keep up while painting. I'd just as soon use an electric DA though if they work good.

Buy an old compressor at a flea market or yard sale, add an extra tank, and take the control off it, it should kick on at like

Is it a variable speed so you can run the speed up and down when you need to? I've had to do the "Sand and wait" thing with my air DA's for years. I've finally got a new compressor that's a 2 stage, 5 horse, 60 gallon tank so it will keep up while painting. I'd just as soon use an electric DA though if they work good.
Yea its variable speed. I can adjust it down to barley a crawl or full send!

That sounds good...can you adjust the speed with just the trigger, or a little separate wheel to roll?
It's got a dial on the back of the handle. It goes from 1 to 6. I'll take a picture when I get home

Here it is in action. I speed it up 100x!! The actual video clip of me sanding was over an hour long! I worked about 8 hours total on that quarter. Taking breaks from the heat to hydrate of course!

We have a new local paint and body shop store In town so I decided to go check them out today. I went ahead and bought a gal of usc duraglass, some paint strainers, and some paint gun cleaner. The place is super nice have a good selection and super nice polite service! I'm looking forward to doing business with those guys. It's a federated auto chain. First time I've been In one. They have a full selection of clears and mix base and single stage paint. The base is matrix which ive never heard of but willing to give it a try.

-
Back