My First Car!

-
Well, I'm looking at cheap ebay turbo setups. Full universal kits for under 1k. I'm hopefully selling some stuff and saving up enough cash to buy one of these kits. Their not the highest quality, but it will work for now. My Valiant is at 70k original miles. I just plan on rebuilding the factory drums for now. When I do get my license, this will not be my daily driver. There's actually no leaks surprisingly. The car had been sitting in a garage for nearly 30 years. When I do the whole turbo build, I plan on keeping the motor stock. I just want to open it up, check over it, and replace all of the gaskets. Paint it, and drop it right back in. Swap the carb for a 2 barrel, and just throw a ebay turbo set up on it. Just run low boost until I can afford to rebuild the motor incase it blows. I was just thinking about changing all of the brake lines (just to be safe) and rebuilding the factory drums for now. Until I can afford a disk brake conversion. This is pretty off topic but I found the original build sheet to the Valiant!!!

Not trying to be negative, or change your plans.
But a 2 barrel swap usually involves a Carder BBD carb, they will not work in a blow thru turbo application.
You will most likely end up with a modified Holley carb $600 and a different intake $400 so add another 1k that to the original 1K.
Also you will have to add a boost referenced fuel system, low end units will run you about $500.
At a young age I do not want to see you spend your money on something that will become a mechanical pain.
You need to spend the money and make the car safe and reliable where you can drive it.

Not trying to be negative, or change your plans.
But a 2 barrel swap usually involves a Carder BBD carb, they will not work in a blow thru turbo application.
You will most likely end up with a modified Holley carb $600 and a different intake $400 so add another 1k that to the original 1K.
Also you will have to add a boost referenced fuel system, low end units will run you about $500.
At a young age I do not want to see you spend your money on something that will become a mechanical pain.
You need to spend the money and make the car safe and reliable where you can drive it.
Well, I don't need to worry about a carb quite yet. We will try to make something work later on. Do you know what size rear came in these cars from the factory? 7& 1/4?
7& 3/4? How can I tell what rear I have, and how long do you think this rear will hold up to turbo power? I plan on putting factory size tires on. So, pretty skinny tires. I don't think I will have to worry about getting traction and popping the rear. I want to buy an 8& 1/4 alittle later on. But As long as the tires break loose every time, I don't think I will have to worry for alittle while. And what about the trans? I know these three speeds aren't too strong. But if I take it easy, should I really worry about blowing it? Or will it hold up for alittle while?

View attachment image.jpgWelcome I am also very new to the forum. Bought my 1967 Valiant 9 months ago when I was 15. I love it. The faces and conversation I get from people is also a perk to owning an old mopar! From my experience so far I would make sure to get the car running properly first before trying to slap a cheap turbo on engine. You will most likely not get the power out of it that you will want for the money you are wanting to spend. Also the fact that if you blow the motor and have to start from scratch wil will be out a lot of money and will be quite disappointed. Whatever you chose to do just don't hack the car in half and make it a 2 door. Good luck!

Hello and welcome
I'd personally like that of David Mann in the film by Steven Spielberg "duel": Il burnout:

Attachments

• 148330d1413372731-duell-steven-spielberg.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 106
Welcome! Nice car, I would love to find one like that up here in MN! You mentioned you don't have your license yet? I think you should first rebuild the brakes, then give the engine a time up, maybe even a new fuel pump...also a good idea to pull the fuel tank out and have it "cooked" to remove all the old sludge and grime. Then since this is your first car, just learn to maintain it and enjoy the heck out of it! While doing this, you can save your $ towards your turbo set -up and then once you have enough saved, the fun can begin. One thing to consider too is it's probably cheaper to install a small block 318 or 360 in there if you can find a good used one...swap in a 4-speed trans in a 4-door would be a sweet sleeper! If you want to go with the turbo than that's pretty cool too! Good to see young kids still getting I to these old cars and good luck, nice car you have :glasses7:

-
Back