My first employee!

-
@j par

Yes.... sigh...

Drugs are a terrible thing. He was and is a great guy and we tryed to help him but it didn't work.

He lost his house so we let him live in the upstairs room. Its not totally ****. It has AC, insulation its a legit room.

He "got sick" one day and ended up in the ER. He almost died. My dad does not take kindly to drugs or lies. Our shop is a drug free zone.

Not only was he getting high. Our room upstairs was full of drugs. About 1 pound of marijuana went in the garbage, half a pound of mushrooms and more black tar ****** than you want to know.

So needless to say he no longer works for me. The said part is he was more of a brother than an employee.
I will continue as will pops to get him back but it will not be easy.
Well I'm sorry to hear all that... but don't think I'm not paying attention to when you're talkin because I know you're a good person a good fabricator and mean the best by people but unfortunately people suck.... Just be there for him with lots of love and if he comes to his senses he'll know where is home is... With the people that love him and care for him and provide him with the best opportunities to succeed...
As far as a new employee I would definitely speak loudly the words "probationary period"...

We would be proud to have you kim.

One thing i keep thinking about was "do I call him Sir?."

**** he is my elder.. How will that work?

Excuse me sir. Take out the trash and mop the floor...

At least now I don't have to figure that out.
:)

Well he is 3 years older than me.

Im 42 he is 45 but still my elder.

The exact reason I work by myself. I tried to hire help a few times but I'm not interested in being a babysitter. I hired one guy over the phone and told him to show up for work on Monday morning at 9:00. He was a local guy and I knew who he was. About 8:30 I seen him drive by my shop and he didn't stop. I've never got a phone call or had a conversation with him since.

Hired another person who was suppose to be skilled. NOT. I gave him a chance for a few weeks. He was a good laborer and perhaps worth keeping. I figured I could trust and leave him alone to run some errands. I left him alone a few times. I started to notice a few of my personal belongings disturbed, moved around and misplaced. I didn't think much about it. One afternoon I had a doctors appointment. I left the shop but I forgot something so I returned a few minutes after leaving. I walked in the the shop and the helper was in my work area rummaging and rooting around through my stuff.

I’ve heard some amazing excuses throughout my years but a mechanic that didn’t show up because he has to do his brakes first so he can show up to work?
:rofl:

I sure don't know what to tell ya. It's amazing to me, the number of people who can "make it sound good enough" to get hired, then instantly become a complete loser.

The age thing has never bothered me. I just always did what I was asked or told. This business about missin a whole day for some bullshit is ......bullshit. Everybody has things happen. You just take care of it and drag it on it.

The age thing has never bothered me. I just always did what I was asked or told. This business about missin a whole day for some bullshit is ......bullshit. Everybody has things happen. You just take care of it and drag it on it.
Yep I hear some of the craziest excuses for leaving or missing work. I had a guy leave one night at like 2am he said his brother had flipped his truck. I was like oh no that's horrible is he ok? He said yea he is fine but I'm leaving work. I was so confused I was like if he is ok why you leaving what are you gonna do unflip it? I get why people leave during a family emergency if someone is hurt or something but he was perfectly ok what good are you going to do by leaving work?

What I found when I was still working, if someone with a skill is not working, there's usually a reason. Almost every time I hired a "journeyman meat cutter" that was unemployed, it didn't take long to find where the whole was. About the only exception to that, were the ones that had recently moved to the area. Regardless of what the skill is, meat cutters, mechanics, electricians, plumbers, etc., there is a shortage. If you have a skill, and no job, it's usually your own fault.

@Cope ~ man, good luck finding someone who can keep up with you and that you can afford! Like 73red eluded to... you have a dichotomy on your hands.. those who are good enough probably aren't available and those who are available probably aren't good enough.

We got a guy that calls in once a week. Union shop, we call HR back to 'notify' them of our absence and what type of absence it is: Personal, Health (physical OR mental!), school partnership or the golden one...Kin care! "Uh, my wife isn't feeling well and I have to stay home with her"...OK, thank you. local manager is not even notified. I dont know where he gets all this time off, but if there is not any hard rules on off time hours in a year, who cares? All the jobs that day are already schedules so everyone has to take 1 or 2 more.

I assume you interviewed him in person.... ?

One thing i keep thinking about was "do I call him Sir?."

**** he is my elder.. How will that work?
:)

Addressing someone as “Sir” is not needed at anytime since it’s roots are in nobility. But it is also OK to do so. I just tell people not to address me as sir because I work for a living. Mr. will do just fine. Elder or not, the proper way to address anyone with a notation of respect is “Mr.” and that’s it.

I have bosses near half my age. Young, bright, intelligent, (& normally) gracious & level headed. Normally, I am addressed by Mr. & last name. They can call me by my first name & have told them so. If they feel comfortable with it, they do so.

When it comes to taking orders, I say to them, “Just give them to me and I’ll handle it, it’ll be done.” No need to pussyfoot around, let’s just get to work and get it done.
Never be afraid to give an order to do something. Just don’t bark it out. Just say, “Hey, this needs to be done, please grab it. And say thanks even though it may have been a easy menial task.

Also as the “Old Man” in the job having more years experience on the job than some are of there total age, I stay alert to them on several levels and situations where the inexperienced may run into a problem. Be it work location, situation or dealing with others, authoritative or not. We work as a team to help each other get it done quickly and efficiently.

The only thing I do not appreciate is being spoken to in a rude manor or being handed stupid open ended comments. We are all grown men and should handle ourselves accordingly. Even when we are pair with others we would rather take a baseball bat to for a good *** kickin and a few months of forced relaxation time.

Everyone also has a bad day. Sometimes a few in a row. And that’s OK. **** happens. More than two days of handing me a **** attitude, IDGAF who you are, I’m pulling your *** to the side and having a talk with you to fix that garbage. Just try your best not to take it out on others. Air out the issue if it is not to personal. More brains on the subject can yield an answer or solution.

The boss is given a certain amount of respect just on the title of boss. Everything else after that is based on how one handles themselves & others. Treat me like a good buddy and it is returned. Treat me like a pile of old dead rotten wood...... I think you get it.

My best jobs were when everyone ran together as friends even though it was just for the 8 hours (or what ever the work day is long) This made us all look forward to coming to work.

Yep I hear some of the craziest excuses for leaving or missing work. I had a guy leave one night at like 2am he said his brother had flipped his truck. I was like oh no that's horrible is he ok? He said yea he is fine but I'm leaving work. I was so confused I was like if he is ok why you leaving what are you gonna do unflip it? I get why people leave during a family emergency if someone is hurt or something but he was perfectly ok what good are you going to do by leaving work?

Clearly he was only in it for the paycheckwhen his brother flipped the truck, he no longer needed you for that

-
Back