My first muscle car build thread (lots of pics)

-
looking good sir dan I have to ask were did you get that steering colum cupler to go from power steering to manul I didnt know they made them and I,m going to need one will save sum work.....thanks Artie

looking good sir dan I have to ask were did you get that steering colum cupler to go from power steering to manul I didnt know they made them and I,m going to need one will save sum work.....thanks Artie

a few places sell them for 120-150 bucks. Mancini may sell one im not sure i just know they cost alot. I found a nice guy at a swap meet selling machined reproductions of the $120-$150 ones for $80. For 80 bucks i just couldn't resist.

Also an update! i got the rear somewhat in. I swapped my backing plates over and got my bearings pressed on my axles for FREE! thanks to the auto parts store guy for that! they are U bolted to the springs rite now. i just need a driveshaft mainly. my rear spring perches are kinda rotted but i might just find a peice of pipe the same size and repair them, we shall see. all in all its going good, i just need to score a driveshaft from my uncle. i cant wait to do some 2 wheel burnouts in front of my house!

This is the best i can do for pictures at the moment, ill try and get a few more in the morning

downsized_0730002034.jpg

Everything is hooked up now even the sway bar! the only thing left to do is get a driveshaft that fits. I tried to bleed the brakes last night and the crappy chineese bleeder screw broke. Its almost like the nut completely seperated from the rest of the bleeder. This is the second one ive broke. They sure dont make stuff like they used to!

IMG_1193.jpg

IMG_1189.jpg

oh that sucks. it is totally easier to remove the wheel cylinder to repair. loks good to me though. rock on!!!

I just replaced the entire wheel cylinder as my part store doesent carry a bleeder that fits in there. They carry the stock one but the replacement wheel cylinder has a different size! and its a smaller bleeder! probably half the reason they break so damn easily. Im not even putting them super tight either! Anyway i ran into a new problem today. I bolted the wheels on and realized they dident spin! I guess the aftermarket moser axles are just the slightest bit smaller and dident stick out enough because the drum hit the edge of the backing plate. But after taking the grinder to it for a bit more clearance everything seems to work good. The car is now sitting on all fours, all i need is the right size driveshaft and i can take it out and have some fun.:cheers:

Well for the past few weeks ive been too broke to get a driveshaft BUT, i decided it shouldn't really take any money to put my 72 front end on. So i tore my 73 front end off today. The inner fenders need some work, especially the drivers side. anyway by the end of the night i got all the 73 garbage off and propped the 72 front end on there to see how it looked. i snagged one picture of my dad beating up the 72 front end a bit right as it was getting dark. Anyway hopefully tommorow i can patch the inner fenders, maybe beat some of the front end into good shape and figure out what to do with the one peice of my a/c thats hitting. Anyway heres some pictures.

downsized_0817001432.jpg

downsized_0817001455.jpg

downsized_0817001611.jpg

downsized_0817001856.jpg

This is the rot i need to fix

downsized_0817001857.jpg

This is the nose just as we sat it on with no modifications. The nose was a bit tweaked so it needed some fixing. new fenders and a front valance would be nice but not something i can afford rite now.
0817001953.jpg

Heres two more pictures from my digital SLR camera and not my crappy phone:cheers: sorry about the finger in the picture i had one to many celebratory beers last night and just woke up.

IMG_1212.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg

Ive got great news! My uncle gave me a driveshaft and it fit great! I did a few crappy sure grip burnouts then pulled a few donuts for fun. Then i got home and had a celebratory beer and i told my dad to take the car around the block. He got to the end of the road and did the most wicked burnout i can ever imagine a stock 318 2 barrel doing. it blew my burnouts i did away! ill grab some pictures tommorow, go figure dad has to show me up!

Looking good. Keep at it, I am in the A-body slump right now also... not enough time or money to work on the car.

A quick update since i haven't added one in a while. I squeezed some 275/60/15s on police rims onto the back. Its close but they fit and don't rub. Man do they look cool! Unfortunately i haven't had any time to myself since school started up again. Senior year in college is a real PITA. Anyway im hoping to do lots of work over the month of winter break. I want to drop the 360 in and the 4 speed. Anyway don't expect any updates until then.

IMG_1226.jpg

IMG_1228.jpg

wow nice wide tires!! I got 265-60-15's on mine and its tight, but Im glad to know I can go a little bigger like you. Car is gettin there man nice work.

Its actually not as tight as the picture makes it look but, its about as close to the spring as id safely go. To be honest i was surprised it fit. I tried to fit the same exact tire and rim combo with my 7 1/4 rear end and it hit the spring really bad. The only thing i can figure is the 8 3/4 a tiny bit bigger? or the flange on the moser axles is a little thicker than stock? i really don't know but im pretty happy they fit.

Its actually not as tight as the picture makes it look but, its about as close to the spring as id safely go. To be honest i was surprised it fit. I tried to fit the same exact tire and rim combo with my 7 1/4 rear end and it hit the spring really bad. The only thing i can figure is the 8 3/4 a tiny bit bigger? or the flange on the moser axles is a little thicker than stock? i really don't know but im pretty happy they fit.
Looks wicked sick! Id be very happy they fit!:cheers:

Well now that i dont have school till the 25th i can focus on my car. I got a sweet set of 4 police rims and police caps for Christmas!
IMG_1309.jpg

The other two are allready on the back of my car. just need some tires to put the full set on.

Ive also decided to freshen up the 318 in the garage that is low miles and throw my intake and stuff on it. Im not sure if im going to re ring it or just throw my stuff on. Im having a hard time trying to scrape any money together, damn economy! anyway i saw an article on some 318 bolt ons and what they did and i figure ill be close with mine. http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/engine/mopp_0312_318_long_block_bolt_ons/index.html

I allready got a bunch of the engine apart and it looks pretty good. If i cant scrape alot of money together im just going to leave the block as is and throw my cam,intake, headers and maybe a new oil and water pump on. we shall see.

If i can get the engine in and working i can start on the 4 speed swap. Oh and i also forgot to mention i scored a manual steering box off ebay for 40 dollars shipped. So progress is being made!

Im located over in huntington station.

Hey SirDan!

'Nother Huntington resident and Dart owner here! I have a '71 Dart I'm working on. Let me know if you ever need a hand with anything.

- Greg

I'm in Huntington as well Dan and Greg. I'd love to meet up and cruise some time. Nice project! Shoot me a PM!

Chris

wow nice score on the box Dan thats huge. Can you pm me and let me know where you got that power to manual adapter?

Well now that i dont have school till the 25th i can focus on my car. I got a sweet set of 4 police rims and police caps for Christmas!
IMG_1309.jpg

The other two are allready on the back of my car. just need some tires to put the full set on.

Ive also decided to freshen up the 318 in the garage that is low miles and throw my intake and stuff on it. Im not sure if im going to re ring it or just throw my stuff on. Im having a hard time trying to scrape any money together, damn economy! anyway i saw an article on some 318 bolt ons and what they did and i figure ill be close with mine. http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/engine/mopp_0312_318_long_block_bolt_ons/index.html

I allready got a bunch of the engine apart and it looks pretty good. If i cant scrape alot of money together im just going to leave the block as is and throw my cam,intake, headers and maybe a new oil and water pump on. we shall see.

If i can get the engine in and working i can start on the 4 speed swap. Oh and i also forgot to mention i scored a manual steering box off ebay for 40 dollars shipped. So progress is being made!

Mel say's
Hell yeah!"

Well I'm pretty sure I'm leaving the bottom end as-is. Im trying my damnedest but I'm having a hard time scraping any money together. I guess on the bright side all ill have to break in is the cam and i can beat the piss out of it!

-
Back