My Gear Vendors Install Thread - '67 Barracuda Notchback 340/416 Stroker

-
You've done a great job! I installed a GV in my 84 D350 many years ago, and that was a breeze compared to a car. I bought a new Dodge diesel to replace the old D350 in 2004, so I yanked the new 360 and 727 with the GV out of the old truck and installed it in my 71 Challenger. I can tell by looking at your new one, that the OD unit itself is a lot smaller than the one I got back around 2002. I had the beat the living hell out of the tunnel in the Challenger to get it in where it needed to sit. The GV works good, but the novelty of the gear splitting wears off quickly after you figure out splitting gears ain't worth the trouble. The GV toned down the 4.10's in the D350 and then the 3.55's in the Challenger after the move. Get the driveshaft shop to install a new end that matches the Turbo 350 slip yoke that came with the GV instead of using an adapter U joint. Moving the rearend back helped a bunch in your car! Be sure to check the clearance between the back bubble on the 8 3/4, to the front of the gas tank. They're close enough to start with.

:thumbsup:

You've done a great job! I installed a GV in my 84 D350 many years ago, and that was a breeze compared to a car. I bought a new Dodge diesel to replace the old D350 in 2004, so I yanked the new 360 and 727 with the GV out of the old truck and installed it in my 71 Challenger. I can tell by looking at your new one, that the OD unit itself is a lot smaller than the one I got back around 2002. I had the beat the living hell out of the tunnel in the Challenger to get it in where it needed to sit. The GV works good, but the novelty of the gear splitting wears off quickly after you figure out splitting gears ain't worth the trouble. The GV toned down the 4.10's in the D350 and then the 3.55's in the Challenger after the move. Get the driveshaft shop to install a new end that matches the Turbo 350 slip yoke that came with the GV instead of using an adapter U joint. Moving the rearend back helped a bunch in your car! Be sure to check the clearance between the back bubble on the 8 3/4, to the front of the gas tank. They're close enough to start with.

:thumbsup:
Clearance is all good, thanks! I was wondering if the old units were maybe larger with all the previous installs I've seen here. The new unit comes with a 1350 front yoke.

I guess this thread is as good a place as any for me to tell you how nice your car is. I never really cared one way or the other about notchback Cudas until I saw yours on here. Now I'll never again be able to not pay attention to them when I see one for sale! :realcrazy: You have done an outstanding job on it! Every time I see a pic you've posted on here, I find something else I like about it. The new GV will only make it more enjoyable for you.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I guess this thread is as good a place as any for me to tell you how nice your car is. I never really cared one way or the other about notchback Cudas until I saw yours on here. Now I'll never again be able to not pay attention to them when I see one for sale! :realcrazy: You have done an outstanding job on it! Every time I see a pic you've posted on here, I find something else I like about it. The new GV will only make it more enjoyable for you.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
That's a really great compliment, Thanks so much. This car, to me, represents everything I have learned to do when it comes to cars. I have many years of blood, sweat & beers into it! LOL
I've done everything myself except for the machine work on the engine and with the help of a great engine builder.
-And I have learned so much from this great site. Thanks, FABO! I should be getting my driveshaft back later this afternoon or first thing tomorrow and then it'll be time to see if it all works.
20231023_105326.jpg

IMG_20191030_095716752_HDR-Evening.jpg

I never get tired of seeing what the bright sunshine does to all that gold pearl in the paint job.
IMG_20190605_085539105_HDR.jpg

20240525_230216.jpg

Last edited:
That's a really great compliment, Thanks so much. This car, to me, represents everything I have learned to do when it comes to cars. I have many years of blood, sweat & beers into it! LOL
I've done everything myself except for the machine work on the engine and with the help of a great engine builder.
-And I have learned so much from this great site. Thanks, FABO! I should be getting my driveshaft back later this afternoon or first thing tomorrow and then it'll be time to see if it all works.
View attachment 1716266771
View attachment 1716266772

I never get tired of seeing what the bright sunshine does to all that gold pearl in the paint job.
View attachment 1716266773
View attachment 1716266855
Beautiful car!! Well done!!:thumbsup:

I got the rear pinion angle shims installed last night and then today I pulled out the lower back seat and carpet so I could get the driveshaft loop slid back further to where it needed to be with the shortened driveshaft. The driveshaft shop was able to knock it out for me Monday. That came to $470.00 with tax. so that's something to figure in the cost of adding the overdrive. It's been a long time since I had a driveshaft done. It did need a bigger ring put on it to mate up to the larger 1350 yoke that comes with the Gear Vendors unit, so that brought the cost up a little.
Then I buttoned up the last few things this afternoon and filled it with Dex III trans fluid per their recommendation.
I just got back from a good test drive of 27 miles with about 15 or so on the freeway. It was turning 3000-3100 rpm at 80mph with the 3.73 gears that I have it now. Not bad compared to 4000 without the overdrive at the same speed. It turns 2100 @ 60mph. Looking forward to being able to take it on some longer drives now, especially when I live in the sticks. I'm working on building a 4.10 center section for it as well as 4.56 section for when I ever get around to taking it to the track, or some local grudge races. I've got one guy with a Vega who's been bugging me to race him in a 0-60 for about a year now. LOL
Well, I think that's about it for now. Maybe now, I can get my intermediate exhaust pipes done professionally. These work fine but they look a little ugly now, especially up near the collectors. I made them from scraps, obviously.
Thanks for watching! Hopefully, my build details here will help someone else along the way.
Cheers!
-Doug

20240625_124717.jpg

20240624_204913.jpg

20240623_222914.jpg

20240625_124522.jpg

-
Back