My headers nightmare

-
when I got my exhaust done last week prior of sending it there I asked if they would fit the Dougs 453s and do the complete system aswell , they wouldn't have a bar of it. I ended up fitting the headers while I replaced the torsion bars than sent it down to get the rest of the system made up.

my Hooker super comps fit perfect and never leaked ...been on since 97 .

Picked up hooker comp headers and summit dual exhaust kit. Muffler shop quoted $700 for the install. I agreed. Now over a week later. I get it back. They couldn't get headers to fit. So it's still on factory manifolds. And the real kicker is now my steering wheel is off by 90 degrees and the car needs an alignment. So I just paid $700 for another headache.

headers can be a real *****,even with tti or dougs,if you dont have a lift.if i were you i would try it myself,you will get frustrated,walk away,rethink.they will go on.

I guess where you come from, you rip people off. Down here in the south, we care about people, so yes, shops here would have eaten it and not charged a dime, plus he would have gotten his car back right........

But then down here, we wouldda put the headers ON.

I wouldn't rip anyone off, if someone asked me to put on those headers first I would tell them to send them back and get Dougs or TTIs.
If they insisted I would only do the job by the hour.
The guy should have asked here first about buying those Hookers, I bet most people who have installed them before would have told him not to even buy them.

ANOTHER reason why you spend the extra money on TTi's..you gave them the headers and the exhaust system and it cost you $700.00..DAMN my system with dumps and stainless mufflers cost a total of $700.00 installed..

I've had my Hooker Comps on and off my Duster 5 time now. While the 1st time SUCKED!, mainly due to rusted bolts, the subsequent times we're really no big deal. Sure, you gotta disconnect the idler arm and starter, but the real key is to get the car high enough to work them out, about 3 feet off the ground. The last few times took a hair over 2 hours to complete. Do they drop right in like some headers costing 2 or 3 times the price? Nope. But like anything, once you do it a time or two and learn the "tricks" they really are not that bad IMO.

Be well folks,
Pat

I think if I remember correctly, the hookers were free from his Dad?? That's why he tried 'em. Of course, they aren't free anymore with 700 bucks into the "attempted" install. I will say I've installed a lot of the cheapy headers right at home. Cyclones, hedmans, they all fit and was always able to do them myself. Car has to be high, all 4 tires on ramps plus I put jacks on blocks and raise all 4 corners another couple of inches. Then I remove the drivers mount bolt and loosen the passenger mount bolt. Put a jack under the motor and tilt it up about 3 inches. Yes, A-body headers are a pain but I've never lost. They will find a few ways to be a pain throughout there life in the car also. But they add performance without doubt

They are Hookers 5901. I took it to muffler clinic in Statesville NC. They did call me Tuesday morning after having it a week and said they wouldn't fit. I told them to put on the dual exhaust and put back on the manifolds. I told him to clean out the manifolds and make down pipes to go to the new exhaust. Everyone believe me, I know I got screwed. I was sharing my story. Hopefully next time I get something done I can find a place that specializes in Mopars. I live outside of Mooresville NC so if anyone on here knows a good place let me know.

They are Hookers 5901. I took it to muffler clinic in Statesville NC. They did call me Tuesday morning after having it a week and said they wouldn't fit. I told them to put on the dual exhaust and put back on the manifolds. I told him to clean out the manifolds and make down pipes to go to the new exhaust. Everyone believe me, I know I got screwed. I was sharing my story. Hopefully next time I get something done I can find a place that specializes in Mopars. I live outside of Mooresville NC so if anyone on here knows a good place let me know.

Don't give up on the headers man. If you have, or have friends that, have jack stands, floor jacks etc, and some time, you may want to give it a whirl. As noted in my earlier post, there are a few tricks that make the job quite doable. I heard the horror stories and was nervous when I attacked the job the first time, but using tips from folks that had done it before, and the instructions from Hooker, I was able to get them off and on as needed. Also, I did it when I was doing other work on the Duster (replaced the steering box, tie rod ends, oil pan, timing chain, water pump etc)to take advantage of the the project. Regardless of the direction you go, good luck and enjoy your project (which looks cool by the way!)

Be well,
Pat

I bet there is a member near you who can help with the installation. As I stated earlier I am a bit too far away for you unless you are up for a road trip up to northern delaware.

Wait a minute. I never heard of a 5901 hooker (I don't use 1.625 tubes on anything) but that number shows they fit an Aspen. That's not an A body. They may for an A body but the summit sight doesn't show they fit A bodies.

If they don't fit an A body, that the problem. If they will fit an A body, the shop was incompetent at best. Find a speed shop, not a muffle shop to put them on. Better yet, try it yourself.

I used the Hooker A body (1 size fits all) and the Jegs exhaust kit (2-1/2 pipe) without (big) issue. Itdid need a minor dent at the steering boxes lower bolt. LOL, big whoop! The p[roblem is the 1 size fits all header isn't always made right.

Click this ---> rumblefish's Duster project
And a cold Novemeber day .... Should have warmed it up first...

In the long run you are better off with manifolds than those crappy headers..

Holley (i guess they bought out hooker as well) claims they fit 67-82 A bodies

http://documents.holley.com/5901hkrrev3.pdf

sounds like a louzy shop IF these are 5901s

pics?

I should have went to the Hooker site like you did. I guess if Hooker say they fit, I'd think they fit. The shop must be idiot or can't read. Some headers fight you all the time, every time (see Hooker 5303) but they work and they fit like jack the bear when they are on.

I used the Hooker A body (1 size fits all) and the Jegs exhaust kit (2-1/2 pipe) without (big) issue. Itdid need a minor dent at the steering boxes lower bolt. LOL, big whoop! The p[roblem is the 1 size fits all header isn't always made right.

AC in November. I love it. Any chance that car has factory cruise control too?

I wouldn't rip anyone off, if someone asked me to put on those headers first I would tell them to send them back and get Dougs or TTIs.
The guy should have asked here first about buying those Hookers, I bet most people who have installed them before would have told him not to even buy them.

Why would you tell them to get Dougs or TTI's? The Hookers go on just fine. As far as I understand the only difference between the two (installation wise) is that for the hookers you have to drop the steering linkage. The Dougs SPECIFY a mini starter. My full sized starter works just fine with my hookers. So you have to pull that anyway.

And lots of people on this thread have mentioned they have installed the Hookers no problem. Some in as little as 2 hours. Are you saying your shop can't do that?

In the long run you are better off with manifolds than those crappy headers..

More ignorance. No. You're not better off with manifolds than those "crappy" headers. There's nothing wrong with the headers. Lots of guys have installed and run them without problem.

Wait a minute. I never heard of a 5901 hooker (I don't use 1.625 tubes on anything) but that number shows they fit an Aspen. That's not an A body. They may for an A body but the summit sight doesn't show they fit A bodies.

If they don't fit an A body, that the problem. If they will fit an A body, the shop was incompetent at best. Find a speed shop, not a muffle shop to put them on. Better yet, try it yourself.

5901 is what I run on my car. If me and my buddy can get them on in 4 hours working on it after work. Then a COMPETENT shop can.

I bet you couldn't fit a thin dime between my steering box and the headers. But they fit. On the passengers side the headers JUST rubbed one of my torsion bars. I'm running the 383 torsion bars, 892/893. Which might be why. You could hear just the slightest rub on some corners/big dips. It "self clearanced" after a few months and a couple potholes.

AC in November. I love it. Any chance that car has factory cruise control too?
Well, never seen a Duster with cruise control. But I have no idea what your talking about with the mention of "AC."

Oh duh! Gotcha! a/C on the engine/in car cabin. Duh!

And I bet you'd be wrong about "most people". USED TO BE, those were "the only" real performance header for the A body. The world hasn't always been full of pussies who don't know how, or are afraid to work on cars and want everything to be easy. Fact is, it was "hard" for a lot longer than it's been "easy".

And I bet you'd be wrong about "most people". USED TO BE, those were "the only" real performance header for the A body. The world hasn't always been full of pussies who don't know how, or are afraid to work on cars and want everything to be easy. Fact is, it was "hard" for a lot longer than it's been "easy".
I put those junk headers on cars 30 years ago... junk in 1987 and still junk today.
If you think the original poster is a pussy for getting a shop to put his headers on take it up with him...

I put those junk headers on cars 30 years ago... junk in 1987 and still junk today.
If you think the original poster is a pussy for getting a shop to put his headers on take it up with him...

My comment was directed at no one in particular, especially not the OP. He was the one taken advantage of.

Fact is, they weren't junk then, they were all there was.

The thing that is stupid to me is the Hookers aren't that much harder. As far as I understand it the only difference is dropping the linkage/maybe pulling the column. With TTI's/Dougs, you still have to jack the car up 3 feet. Jack the engine up. Pull the starter. And ram jam them in there. I mean I had to jack the engine up just to get the manifolds out. So it's really not that much more work for the Hookers. The dougs/ttis just fit nicer. The only thing I dislike on the Hookers is spark plug access on cylinder 7.

I absolutely agree. People simply don't want to do the work involved, even with Dougs or TTI. The Dougs I installed in my 65 360 Valiant were among the easiest headers I've ever installed. I've also installed the Hookers and they were not much more difficult. People don't read instructions and try to cut corners. Then when it doesn't work out, they blame the headers for being "junk".

The thing that is stupid to me is the Hookers aren't that much harder. As far as I understand it the only difference is dropping the linkage/maybe pulling the column. With TTI's/Dougs, you still have to jack the car up 3 feet. Jack the engine up. Pull the starter. And ram jam them in there. I mean I had to jack the engine up just to get the manifolds out. So it's really not that much more work for the Hookers. The dougs/ttis just fit nicer. The only thing I dislike on the Hookers is spark plug access on cylinder 7.

-
Back