My home built cooling system.

-

younggun2.0

Reaction score
here is the new fan set up for my big block dart. i am using duel 14" 1860cfm fans. they draw 9.8 amps each and will be wired into a Derale fan controller. The controller is fully adjustabe and i will have it set so the first fan comes on at 170 and the second comes on at 180 they will shut off at 170. from what i have been reading they should be plenty enough cooling. I built the shroud of .080 aluminum sheet metal attached to 1/2"x 1/4" aluminum chanel. i have it all mocked up and now i need to break it down and get it powder coated. i have a high density foam that is sticky back that will outline the fans on the back side of the shroud and isolate the fans. the large holes are to let the air pass thru at cruising speeds. let me know what you guys think.

DSCN0337_zps411431d0.jpg

DSCN0345_zps794d6d10.jpg

DSCN0347_zpsb3c19f99.jpg

DSCN0348_zps8c2f044c.jpg

i read somewhere you'll need at least 3000 so 2 at 1860 should be fine.
nice work!

You're going to want a little more split in your on/off cycle. On and Off at 170 is going to leave the lower fan cycling a lot. Maybe try on at 175 and all off at 165-170?

You're going to want a little more split in your on/off cycle. On and Off at 170 is going to leave the lower fan cycling a lot. Maybe try on at 175 and all off at 165-170?

ya that makes sense. it is adjustable so i will play around and see what works best. it also has an override option. it has a wire that you can run to a switch and run both fans manually. that will be nice at the track in the staging lanes.

What radiator are you using? Looks good! Also what part # is that upper hose lol?

What radiator are you using? Looks good! Also what part # is that upper hose lol?

using the summit racing universal rad. its 26x19. the upper hose if just from the local schmucks auto parts. i have no idea what part #. they let me just walk back and look.

Experienced similar results, even within 5° on a CPU relay for a pair of fans on a 6.1 with AEM. I split them up @ 8° and that did it.

i just want them to keep the thing cool enough to get more than a mile from the house. it never get very hot here in washington so i think they will be more than enough.

very nice job .. is there a reason you are running your engine so cool.

very nice job .. is there a reason you are running your engine so cool.

well i have not driven the car in any real world situations yet. i actually want the car to stay at 180ish. i just dont want it to ever over heat. i figure that overkill is better then not having enough. the fan controller is fully adjustable so i will adjust as needed.

Looks great. I have seen some setups similar to yours with thin rubber flaps over the holes for some reason. Had it explained to me but I do not remember the reason.....

Looks great. I have seen some setups similar to yours with thin rubber flaps over the holes for some reason. Had it explained to me but I do not remember the reason.....

Those are to make the fans more efficient at pulling air through the core but open to allow air through when the car is at speed. With the holes there it can make the air come from there instead of through the core.

Those are to make the fans more efficient at pulling air through the core but open to allow air through when the car is at speed. With the holes there it can make the air come from there instead of through the core.

So they are sort of a passive device by design?? At lower speeds they are closed so that more air is passing over the core?

At slow speed gravity should allow them to close, or the fan sucks them shut, and that will allow the suction from the fans to only get air from the core. With the holes the fans get their air from the path of least resistance. This is the one on my car and the flaps are rubber that is probably double the thickness of a bicycle inner tube, held on by little plastic rivets. Simple yet effective. Sorry to hijack Young gun just some tips help make what you have already done a great job on more effective.

Attachments

• 61f5MHBMhvL._SL1000_.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 229
At slow speed gravity should allow them to close, or the fan sucks them shut, and that will allow the suction from the fans to only get air from the core. With the holes the fans get their air from the path of least resistance. This is the one on my car and the flaps are rubber that is probably double the thickness of a bicycle inner tube, held on by little plastic rivets. Simple yet effective. Sorry to hijack Young gun just some tips help make what you have already done a great job on more effective.

thanks for the ideas. i have some high density foam with a stick back that i plan to put around the fans on rad. side of the shroud to isolate the fans to the radiator core. will see how this set up works. if it doesnt work well enough i can always do it over. i only have 15 bucks into it after the fans.

-
Back