my Low dollar 318 hop-up project

-
I don't know either but he does
I think it's Rat Bastid that has this as his memo
"Tuning isn’t magic. It is a science that can be learned."

My memo is "if I can do it, anyone can do it" because I am far from being a great engine builder. Just a hobbyist that is a dirt road engine builder. Years ago I usually couldn't afford to build it "right". Now I enjoy building it "Wrong" :)

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it wasn't in the plans for this car to ever get these common performance parts:
  • Headers
  • 9.5 converter (high stall)
  • Gears. Anything not in the 2.XX ratio :D

There was a guy years ago that had a 70's nova with a 307, people said why don't you get a 350. He would say why when I already have the 307. He put headers on it a 4 barrel carburetor and hei distributor and gears and he had a blast and it didn't cost him a fortune.

There was a guy years ago that had a 70's nova with a 307, people said why don't you get a 350. He would say why when I already have the 307. He put headers on it a 4 barrel carburetor and hei distributor and gears and he had a blast and it didn't cost him a fortune.
307 has a slightly smaller bore and stroke than a 318. here's a 506hp 307/311, nothing to magical about the build.

Long Rod Chevy 307 = Big Power

Unfortunately, it wasn't in the plans for this car to ever get these common performance parts:
  • Headers
  • 9.5 converter (high stall)
  • Gears. Anything not in the 2.XX ratio :D
Careful this thread is going chevy you better reign these characters back in...

Chevy talk won't go far, they usually blow rods out the oil pan and that will end it :D
I didn't mean to high Jack your thread. I was only trying to give another example of how to improve performance of a unpopular engine without breaking the bank account. The 307 ran for years as far as I know. I'm sure that everyone knows that the sbc is know as the hangernade.

I didn't mean to high Jack your thread. I was only trying to give another example of how to improve performance of a unpopular engine without breaking the bank account. The 307 ran for years as far as I know. I'm sure that everyone knows that the sbc is know as the hangernade.
I was only joking with Jpar... :D

307 has a slightly smaller bore and stroke than a 318. here's a 506hp 307/311, nothing to magical about the build.

Long Rod Chevy 307 = Big Power
Wow! When I had my 71 Nova with a a 307 I used all of my buddies 69 Z28 factory HP parts which changed out to turn it into a strictly drag car.
Including the 410 rear end and 780 Holley carb. I added headers and traction bars. The carb was a little big for 307 but so what. I was young and dumb back then and had a lot of fun with that car on a budget. Trouble was I always wanted a 350 instead of the lowly 307. Now I have a 318 and like the idea of making it run!
Lol.

Wow! When I had my 71 Nova with a a 307 I used all of my buddies 69 Z28 factory HP parts which changed out to turn it into a strictly drag car.
Including the 410 rear end and 780 Holley carb. I added headers and traction bars. The carb was a little big for 307 but so what. I was young and dumb back then and had a lot of fun with that car on a budget. Trouble was I always wanted a 350 instead of the lowly 307. Now I have a 318 and like the idea of making it run!
Lol.
First street car I ever saw loft the front wheels was a Ventura II Poncho with guess what? A 307. Well there was Byron's T-Bucket with the 413 Cross Ram :lol:

I think it's Rat Bastid that has this as his memo
"Tuning isn’t magic. It is a science that can be learned."

My memo is "if I can do it, anyone can do it" because I am far from being a great engine builder. Just a hobbyist that is a dirt road engine builder. Years ago I usually couldn't afford to build it "right". Now I enjoy building it "Wrong" :)
That’s the trick magic part right there, Freiburger said it best and I agree with him, “Don’t get it right, just get it running.” Have fun and learn it.
"naysayers" always were and will always be.
Fact!
Did the same as a kid. A ‘74 318 Duster, add headers and cool rims, I’m on my way. Add a 4bbl later on. Etc… rinse, repeat.

So many people just crap on others heads for the mill they’re running without care or concern. You can only play as much as the wallet allows. A min. wage job supports only so much for that kid looking to do a little something. I was working at the supermarket back when I was 18 for $3.15 an hour. (1984)
Affording the 340 engine everyone said I should get was way out of my possible spending ability. A guy I knew tried to sell me an330 block for $700, yes, $700 in 1984. The 318 did just fine.

So I posed this question on the comments on @318willrun 's youtube video and will re-ask here. Back pages ago you were asked what would have been your first cam choice and you gave it but said A. it was not in the budget and B. you would have to see how the summit cam performed.
After all these years what is your opinion on how this cam performed? Any thoughts on it?

So I posed this question on the comments on @318willrun 's youtube video and will re-ask here. Back pages ago you were asked what would have been your first cam choice and you gave it but said A. it was not in the budget and B. you would have to see how the summit cam performed.
After all these years what is your opinion on how this cam performed? Any thoughts on it?
The summit cam has done everything we asked of it and I would recommend it if on a tight budget. But, the price has gone up considerably:D

The summit cam has done everything we asked of it and I would recommend it if on a tight budget. But, the price has gone up considerably:D
100% mark-up is complete :bs_flag: I wonder what the Speedmaster Black Friday will bring.

-
Back