My new 340 at the track

-
finally someone said it. i AGREE 100%. it's all in the combo on how well the parts work together. i still run a SFT and ductile iron rockers.
the 360'' i had in the car ran 10.20 @ 130. in the car now is a 340'' and it's been 9.70 @ 137 with the same heads and cam that were on the 360''

It’s all well and good when you have an ultra light car, but add 5 or 600 pounds on it and the stroker will be worth its trouble.
Your car runs great, I love it. But it would be 3 tenths quicker with a stroker crank and run less rpm doing it.

There is zero reason not to run a stroker in a bracket racing deal.
It’s stupid to say otherwise, unless you want to plan on more maintenance/ rpm.
Anything that lowers the rpm you need to run the motor at is a very good thing for reliability. Not to mention the extra power and ET
I don’t know of any Mopar small block guys at our track that don’t run stroker cranks.
more maintenance on my non stroker? check the valve lash and change oil, that's it. i'm running the smallest cubic inch at the track and not falling behind by any means.

Not arguing but i am honestly curious, wouldn't running a 408 or whatever stroker size make it easier on parts and less chance of having issues from stressing things soo hard to make the same power?
what is stressing hard on a non stroker?

more maintenance on my non stroker? check the valve lash and change oil, that's it. i'm running the smallest cubic inch at the track and not falling behind by any means.
I get it, but your car is 2700 pounds. That makes a huge difference.
Like I said, stick a stroker crank in it, would be way faster and run even less rpm. Your car runs great, but you can’t argue more inches won’t make it faster, that is all I am saying.

what is stressing hard on a non stroker?
If you have to pull to a higher RPM to make the same power (as has been said on this forum over and over) it seems that would stress stuff more, unless 8000rpm is as easy on parts as 6800-7000?

Once again, not arguing.. just trying to understand, i can barely build a street engine let alone a race engine :) Sometimes things are taken wrong in text...

It’s all well and good when you have an ultra light car, but add 5 or 600 pounds on it and the stroker will be worth its trouble.
Your car runs great, I love it. But it would be 3 tenths quicker with a stroker crank and run less rpm doing it.
ya it might be. i'll never know. i know of a few strokers (408-418) at my track that weigh the same as me. they are not faster then my car. they have Eddie TA heads with 600 lift cams (same as cam). i shift at 6800 so the rpm is the same as a stroker

I get it, but your car is 2700 pounds. That makes a huge difference.
Like I said, stick a stroker crank in it, would be way faster and run even less rpm. Your car runs great, but you can’t argue more inches won’t make it faster, that is all I am saying.
i totally get what your saying. i choose to do it a different way then most.

If you have to pull to a higher RPM to make the same power (as has been said on this forum over and over) it seems that would stress stuff more, unless 8000rpm is as easy on parts as 6800-7000?

Once again, not arguing.. just trying to understand, i can barely build a street engine let alone a race engine :) Sometimes things are taken wrong in text...
it all depends on the parts used. i have second hand junk, it's old stuff. more expensive parts will handle the stress of more rpm with not much maintenance.

it all depends on the parts used. i have second hand junk, it's old stuff. more expensive parts will handle the stress of more rpm with not much maintenance.
k.. i just worry too much

finally someone said it. i AGREE 100%. it's all in the combo on how well the parts work together. i still run a SFT and ductile iron rockers.
the 360'' i had in the car ran 10.20 @ 130. in the car now is a 340'' and it's been 9.70 @ 137 with the same heads and cam that were on the 360''

My sons .030 (360) ran several 6.54@3200 pounds with a 727 transmission. Stock crank and flat top pistons. He did have a roller cam in it but we were limited to a .620 because of valve to piston clearance. 8 3/4 with 4:10 gears in it shifted at 6600rpm. Everyone always says build a stroker, build a stroker. Lol

ya it might be. i'll never know. i know of a few strokers (408-418) at my track that weigh the same as me. they are not faster then my car. they have Eddie TA heads with 600 lift cams (same as cam). i shift at 6800 so the rpm is the same as a stroker

Stroker will definately be faster, all other things the same.
Look at NHRA pro stock and mountain motor pro stock. Only thing different is the cubes. Significant difference in the time slips.
You car would run 9.30’s-40’s with a 4 inch crank.

My sons .030 (360) ran several 6.54@3200 pounds with a 727 transmission. Stock crank and flat top pistons. He did have a roller cam in it but we were limited to a .620 because of valve to piston clearance. 8 3/4 with 4:10 gears in it shifted at 6600rpm. Everyone always says build a stroker, build a stroker. Lol
great running car at that weight

Stroker will definately be faster, all other things the same.
Look at NHRA pro stock and mountain motor pro stock. Only thing different is the cubes. Significant difference in the time slips.
that's possible. it's tempting to try it

What weight is the 9.70 car and what heads.

A stroker engine will reach the same piston speed at the lower rpm as a shorter stroke at higher rpms, but the valve train speeds will be lower.

I don't get where the gain comes from ?
If you go faster at a lower rpm you'll need less gear, so any gain of torque at the crank will be lowered at the tire, end of the day should have similar torque going to the ground.

Shouldn't the hp curve from stall to shift points be the main concern no matter rpm range ?

I don't get where the gain comes from ?
If you go faster at a lower rpm you'll need less gear, so any gain of torque at the crank will be lowered at the tire, end of the day should have similar torque going to the ground.

Shouldn't the hp curve from stall to shift points be the main concern no matter rpm range ?

Long time ago Hensley performance( Ken Hensley) who built my first stroker short block, 25-27 years ago now, told me, because I asked him, how much faster will a stroker be than a stock stroke deal. He told me expect about 3 tenths, maybe a bit more.all else being the same.
I have found that to be true.
Recently, I got to test that myself. I had a stock stroke 360, best it ever went, with the current trans and convertor was 11.31.
I had my current 418 built( by the same shop) one big difference was compression. 360 was 10 to 1, 418 is 12 to 1
I swapped same convertor, transmission, headers, and entire top end( including the cam, which I still run) and the car went 10.77.
So, two differences, compression and inches. The compression definately would make a difference, no doubt. But the car picked up 54. No other changes.
It has since had heads and headers upgraded, but hadn’t yet regards the above. Same 1 5/8 Doug’s headers and mufflers I had originally, swapped onto the 10.77 combo, were on the 360.
Another way to look at it, look at mountain motor pro stock and NHRA cars. I believe everything is the same except the inches. Substantial difference in performance. Those cars run well over 220.

Edit, the new combo I did change the intake, but initially didn’t with the comparison above.

Last edited:
I don't deny that the average stroker finds a performance increase, but I feel it's more from some secondary effect, like DV says 383 Chev always make more power than a similar 350 Chev but he attributes that to a 383 can build cr with flat tops not from added displacement (not saying he's right).

To me problem is what's a fair comparison between 360 vs 408 (or whatever engines) if built with the same parts obviously the parts are more than likely gonna favor one over the other, the parts should be tailored for each engine but when parts are different what's considered equal build ?

-
Back