My old Dart at the Texas Thaw (vids)

-

The Shocker

Reaction score
Heres a few vids my wife took yesterday at the Texas Thaw Nostalgia event at Northstar Drag strip in Denton Texas.I finally got the gutts to use the transbrake on the launch .I figured if it breaks it breaks.It didnt break ,but it did manage to pop the front tires up a few inches when i dropped the button each time ,launching at about 3400 rpm.The car needs lower gears ,but i still managed to get 1.60 and 1.61 60 foots all day long with the old slapper bars.The 8 point rollbar stiffend the car up alot .Had a blast all day .The last vid is me losing in the second round of eleminations to a sleeper 428 super duty powered 57 Pontiac .I laughed it him when i staged next to him ,but he layed a 7.27 down on me to my 7.29 .I got him off the line ,but that big motor ran me down right at the stripe .Well heres the vids if you want to look ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3qtHxyYv-g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWfN9ajAHm8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6dkxtcyaZg

Didn't temple close? I raced down there (& prairiehill) for 2 yrs. back in 04/05 with my 75 Duster.

Didn't temple close? I raced down there (& prairiehill) for 2 yrs. back in 04/05 with my 75 Duster.
No ,its still alive and kick'in .We race they every October at something they call Day Of The Drags or DOTD.Great 64 an older event to attend ...

What kind of numbers do you run in the quarter again? I remember another thread but....

Either way, cool vids! I love your car.

What kind of numbers do you run in the quarter again? I remember another thread but....

Either way, cool vids! I love your car.
It runs 11.40's in the 1/4.The vids from yesterday was at Denton ,its an 1/8 mile track.Im geared too high with 4.10's and a Powerglide (especially for the 1/8 mile) .I run 7.20's usually in the 1/8.Sum 4.88's would proly get me near the 6's in the 1/8 ,but then i would be way to low for the 1/4.I run at both tracks 1/4 and 1/8 ,so i just kinda compromise ...

very cool man! what are the specs on your engine??
Its a very mild 408 with 10 to 1 compression and a wimp Edelbrock rpm hyd cam (its .484/.510 i think), 4 inch stroker crank ,Eagle rods ,Kieth Black pistons ,unported econo W2 heads ,Harlan sharp roller rockers,Hedman Hustler fenderwells ,Victor intake ,750 Demon,Msd 6 AL ,Msd dist and coil,Holley Blue pump .Im gunna guess it makes 475-500 hp.

Trans is a Powerglide with a J and W Ultrabell ,manual valve body ,Trans Brake ,T400 imput shaft ,and a 3500 or so Neal Chance Convertor.

8 3/4 rearend with a spool and 35 spline Mosier axles,with 4.10's.

Old Fox craft slapper bars on stock 6 cylinder springs and 8.5 M/T slicks.

Car weighs 2795 empty and 3010 with me in it ...

Hey Shock, come hang with us at either the Texas Muscle Car races or the Mopar gathering at the Motorplex or........The rest of the bunch thinks us early A-body folks are scary already.:snakeman:

Sweet vids thanks for sharing.. I wish my car sounded and went like that!

Cool vids!I have a 408(410)going in my 66 Dart.Eddy RPM,s P&P with a solid roller cam .631 lift 252 258,AED HO850DP,M1 intake,1 7/8 fenderwells.I,m hoping to see high 10,s but will be happy with low 11,s.I have 3.91 gears with a 26 inch tire.I,m thinking on getting 4.30,s.Keep up the fun times!:cheers:

Thanks for the kind words guys.I just bought another complete center section for the 8 3/4 yesterday (it was to cheap to pass up).Its got 4.86 gears in it .It outta pick it up in the 1/8 over the 4.10's (if it will hook up).Cant wait to try it out.Im hoping it will get the Dart flirting with the 6's .Going to a nasty solid cam next.Stay tuned for more vids soon ...

No ,its still alive and kick'in .We race they every October at something they call Day Of The Drags or DOTD.Great 64 an older event to attend ...

Cool, what is the website? I remember it being templeacademydragway, but nothing comes up anymore, thats why i assumed it closed after Linda sold it.

Cool, what is the website? I remember it being templeacademydragway, but nothing comes up anymore, thats why i assumed it closed after Linda sold it.
Its still Temple Academy i think.I know that someone else bought it a year or two ago.That may be why the website doesnt come up anymore.Only thing about that track that i dont like is the shutdown is a bit too short IMO.You know that at one time that track was the old highway dont you ? I heard that it flooded alot and the bridge was built to bypass that stretch of road.Someone turned it from a two lane road to a dragstrip in the late 50's ,and thats why its so narrow.It used to run the other direction until the late 70's i heard .They switched it the other direction because people that lost their brakes or couldnt get it slowed down were running off in the creek .Now the creek is right next to the starting line instead ,lol .Its funny that i always think about the short shutdown ,as the lights on the tree are coming down :toothy10:...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykcsXMV3vfg

Yeah, i've gone 10.87 @ 123.58 at that track, 122 several times, its really not that bad, you still have the turn at the end when the road bends, have you gone lately, i'm wondering if 'bigstuff" still races his red Dart, we raced side by side many times, when i did beat him, he would run the nitrous on me in the next race lol, he did not like getting beat.

I just watched the vid, car runs great, what that trap speed 113, ok i see it was, hell i had 10 mph on that with plenty of stopping room HEE-HEE just teasin, man that place was packed, when was that taken?

I've won a couple races in Denton (Sanger) and Kenendale but never won at Temple, too tired after towing down there to concentrate.

Yeah, i've gone 10.87 @ 123.58 at that track, 122 several times, its really not that bad, you still have the turn at the end when the road bends, have you gone lately, i'm wondering if 'bigstuff" still races his red Dart, we raced side by side many times, when i did beat him, he would run the nitrous on me in the next race lol, he did not like getting beat.

I just watched the vid, car runs great, what that trap speed 113, ok i see it was, hell i had 10 mph on that with plenty of stopping room HEE-HEE just teasin, man that place was packed, when was that taken?
Thanks for the compliment on the Dart .It was October of last year.If you think that was packed ,you shoulda been at "The Hamb Drags" last summer in Joplin Missouri.I think there were about 300 pre 65 cars that showed up to a 200 car event.It was crazy.Early nostalgia racing is really catching on.I think alot of people are getting tired of seeing a Toyota racing a Mazda at the drags ...8)

Somebody asked to see a pic of my $35.00 traction bars ,so here you go.I know that slapper bars are not the popular solution for traction on a Mopar ,but my Dart and i are happy with them so far.They are old Foxcraft Competetion bars from the 60's with the spring plates made on them and heavy wall tubing ...

000_0003.jpg

Hey shocker, i just installed some Lakewood TBars on my dart, they do work, it still doesn't hook great, but i did notice a difference, i'm not going to ***** for 42.00 bucks, i checked & found out my tires aren't leaving a full "footprint", the edges are clean about an inch on each side, so it looks like i'll have to lower the pressure down evn more & try that, the problem is there mounted on 7" wheels (255/60/15s), they really need an 8".

years ago we took the vega to a Texas Pro Gas event at Temple. We were running 1/8th mile, but noticed all the other peeps were staying in it till 1/4, I was under the impression it was 1/8th mile but guess not! Cool Track, lil scary next to the guardrail though!

-
Back