My old Duster (May 1987)

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
A racing friend poster a picture on Facebook of another friends mustang and caught my old 1974 Duster in the picture too. Back in the good old days of running 10.0’s on super stock springs, stock 440 cranks, rods, TRW heavyweight pistons, and ported 906 heads.

DBB191D0-01AF-4064-B588-66D3E46049FC.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
A racing friend poster a picture on Facebook of another friends mustang and caught my old 1974 Duster in the picture too. Back in the good old days of running 10.0’s on super stock springs, stock 440 cranks, rods, TRW heavyweight pistons, and ported 906 heads.

Hello pittsburghracer.
Question,
What track was the picture at and around what time frame what it taken?
Thanks,
Stay Safe.
Happy Mopar :)
Arron.

10.0’s was pretty damn good in 1987, especially considering what you were really working with for hard parts.

I was in the mid-11’s with my street car back then.

I drag race uphill both ways with flat tires and a car full of bowling balls...lol...:rolleyes:...

10.0’s was pretty damn good in 1987, especially considering what you were really working with for hard parts.

I was in the mid-11’s with my street car back then.

Thanks. It helped that that car was only 2700 pounds but ya that was pretty quick back then. I finally got the same combo in the low 9.80's in 1991 but that also took a great track (Norwalk) in the Fall. Back then track prep wasn't hat it is today and Super Stock springs had their limits for the average guy. Mother Mopars old books were pretty good guides if you were willing to put the time in testing.

Nice car and times John.....there was only a few guys running in the 10.0's back then on all iron motors over here, those that had the money for the Koffel 451 motors and the old Rossi challenger. I could only manage a 10.7 in 1991 with my stock 440 6pk motor with the old [email protected] cam in it and a single 850DP in the '69 Cuda, @3300lbs, only ran it once NA, reckon it had a bit more in it though.
Today most of the mopars use 500+ci motors, ally heads etc. to run 9.80's!!, but to be fair to them I doubt if any weigh 2700lbs, but its still not much of a showing in my books.

Last edited:
CFF97A80-D639-40F3-BCB1-CDCCA0538A81.jpeg
Thanks guys. It sure was a lot of fun back then. The last five years or so of this combo it had a Wieand Tunnelram on it with two 750 holleys. 76 jets all year until October and I would throw 78’s in it. Quickest ET ever was 9.82 with lots of high 9.80’s. This was after my buddy painted it for me.

View attachment 1715505990 Thanks guys. It sure was a lot of fun back then. The last five years or so of this combo it had a Wieand Tunnelram on it with two 750 holleys. 76 jets all year until October and I would throw 78’s in it. Quickest ET ever was 9.82 with lots of high 9.80’s. This was after my buddy painted it for me.
Oh nevermind just seen this post haha
Must have been one very similar I remember the guy but cant remember his name he had a blue and white duster with a pentastar on the door and one of those goofy flat snorkel Chevy hoodscopes he was a pretty cool guy but wouldnt tell you nothing haha I asked him what engine he was running and he looked at me like I was stupid and shut the hood.

Oh nevermind just seen this post haha
Must have been one very similar I remember the guy but cant remember his name he had a blue and white duster with a pentastar on the door and one of those goofy flat snorkel Chevy hoodscopes he was a pretty cool guy but wouldnt tell you nothing haha I asked him what engine he was running and he looked at me like I was stupid and shut the hood.
"Goofy flat snorkel Chevy hoodscopes"
LOL... That's funny for both reasons...lol..

"Goofy flat snorkel Chevy hoodscopes"
LOL... That's funny for both reasons...lol..
It looks good tho :) I almost put one on my dart when I was in high school I wanted one of the big raised reverse cowls with the whole in it haha. Its funny how your taste changes when you grow up.

It looks good tho :) I almost put one on my dart when I was in high school I wanted one of the big raised reverse cowls with the whole in it haha. Its funny how your taste changes when you grow up.

Isn’t that the truth. I used to hate cowl hoods on dusters and now I would love to have one. So far not enough to buy one but possibly one of these days.

That is a big slick. What size ? Appears to be about 6 inches taller than what we ran. lol and maybe 6 inches wider. lol

"Hood scoop" I think a hoodscope is some kind of San Francisco outerwear...
"Goofy and Chevy".. lol..
It's what I love about you the most it's your kind innocence LOL... You didn't mean nothing bad at all, I know it...

"Hood scoop" I think a hoodscope is some kind of San Francisco outerwear...
"Goofy and Chevy".. lol..
It's what I love about you the most it's your kind innocence LOL... You didn't mean nothing bad at all, I know it...
Haha yes I wasnt being mean that's just how iv always seen those style scoops on Chevy novas and Chevrolet vegas at the dragstrip growing up. Lol I think they do look good on a duster. Haha "goofy chevy scoops" that's their new official name!

Haha yes I wasnt being mean that's just how iv always seen those style scoops on Chevy novas and Chevrolet vegas at the dragstrip growing up. Lol I think they do look good on a duster. Haha "goofy chevy scoops" that's their new official name!
It could be worse you could be talking about somebody's big stick and how much bigger and wider is! LOL..:poke:..
:rofl:...

That is a big slick. What size ? Appears to be about 6 inches taller than what we ran. lol and maybe 6 inches wider. lol

That car had stock steel floor from the firewall to the rear bumper but was old school mini tubbed. The biggest tire it could use was the one I ran. 14-31’s. Tight fit and worked well with a 4.56 gear.

-
Back