My Slant's Getting Smogged Today.

-

ValiantBandit

Reaction score
It's pretty funny how I have mild anxiety about taking my car to get smogged.

I've been doing A LOT of reading about the slant six engine, mainly from SlantSixDan's links and my 1976 Service Manual. I've given her a full tune up, adjusted the rocker arms. I have that gut feeling that the float needs to be fixed in the carb, but I'm hoping I can get by for another few weeks here til it cools off some more.

I'm not going to one of the Las Vegas Sheister Shops either. They have these little booths that just do smog checks, and that's where I'm going so I don't have to hear some shmuck try to tell me that my car needs blinker fluid and radio fluid to pass Nevada smog.

Wish me luck lol I'm going now.

Sounds like it's in good tune! I never had an air sniffer problem,always kept it running great like you,so I expect you'll be fine.

Good luck!

Sounds like it's in good tune! I never had an air sniffer problem,always kept it running great like you,so I expect you'll be fine.

Good luck!

as long as the carb is set up and everything is running fine, the car will do great...

i got my 6 to pass better than a honda prius! lol had to put 59 jets and a 7.5 pv though... but my motor isn't stock either with a 246 duration cam

Why are they smogging an antique??

AMEN! the cutoff here in AZ is 67 and older... mine is a 68 lol... sucks...

SAN is getting it to be 25 years and older though. its up to the EPA now...

Attachments

• 100_4732.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 297
You guys need to be writing your govt. reps. ANY car that is in the classic/ antique class should NOT be subject to smog laws for any reason.

It was on 'thee news' the other night that WA state's smog predicament has improved enough that they are PREDICTING that in 5-10 years there will be NO NEED for ANY emissions checks on automobiles.

I find it tough to believe that "we" drive our old cars ENOUGH that it makes any significant difference on the overall.

Seems to me some of these states just "want to make money."

You guys need to be writing your govt. reps. ANY car that is in the classic/ antique class should NOT be subject to smog laws for any reason.

It was on 'thee news' the other night that WA state's smog predicament has improved enough that they are PREDICTING that in 5-10 years there will be NO NEED for ANY emissions checks on automobiles.

I find it tough to believe that "we" drive our old cars ENOUGH that it makes any significant difference on the overall.

Seems to me some of these states just "want to make money."

i dont know why they even bother... for the 20 bucks to register it a year and to smog is 20 lol... seems like there are bigger fish to fry...

Fortunately, most all cars maintained by purists like ourselves put out less emmisions than the later model cars with all their built in obsolesence and computer BS. I'm glad I don't have to fight it anymore, since my car will be race only.

Its like taking your car to get neutered..

THAT would be funny if it wasn't true.

(One of the reasons I bought a 67. Idaho was making noise about implementing inspections up here because of the junk drifting in from Spokane)

I got into a huge argument about this on the slant six forum which is why I don't go back there. I completely agree with you guys, and it's a way for sheister shops out here to make money...And they did off of me.

Attempt #1: Idle Speed CO2 and NOx were way too high. Well whatever, I'll just adjust the carb...It takes 5 minutes to do.

Then lol...Now this is funny..lol..
I went through about 6 shytstick shops because they're telling me I have a vacuum leak and it "Won't pass smog." . Lol I just repaired the vacuum leaks the RIGHT way...Whatever... I finally found a shop that was going to use lube on my rectum instead of doing it raw and said they'd "Take care of it" for $100. "Fixing the vacuum leaks and all."

Funny...After I got my car from the shop, the only vacuum line that was "replaced" was one that they criscrossed which is why my car made it 20 feet out from the shop into the street and stalled out. After I put the line the RIGHT way AGAIN AND adjusted the idle mixture, it was fine and drove like it did before. Mind you I had to do that on the fly while my car was taking up 1 lane out of a 3 lane road lol...

It pisses me off that I have to do this every year. I put about 20,000 miles on my slant in the 12 months I've owned her and I think it's complete B.S. Nevada has this "Law".

In my home state, any car over 25 years old is not required to pass emissions testing...Rather it has to pass SAFETY INSPECTION which is MORE IMPORTANT. ( I lived in R.I. btw, a very liberal state.) You should see these P.O.Ses driving out here...They're so unsafe, I wouldn't put my worst enemy in one of those cars to drive...We're talking they're missing FENDERS, HOODS, TRUNKS,RIDING ON MORE THAN ONE (BALD) SPARE TIRE, BUMPERS...

I'm so tired of greed.
If you have a car that's 30 years or older, you should be EXEMPT from it EXCEPT if it's grossly polluting. (Smoke,etc.)
I really,really,really wish I photocopied the failed report because the "Required" idle speed emissions for my 1976 Plymouth has to be LOWER than my wife's 1991 Volvo. If I remember, the CO2 was 150 PPM or something ridiculous.
UGH I HATE THIS STATE. JUST TAKE OUT STATE TAXES ON MY PAYCHECKS AND STOP WITH THIS STUPID STUFF.
mmm Plus you need all these "Cards" just to work anywhere out here. To serve fast food you need a "Health Card"...
Sorry I'm very conservative except for human rights and who can marry who. I can't stand the government. But my wife says me driving a 1976 Plymouth Valiant says "F THE MAN." lol I love her.

Oh interesting side note: I also have a posting about how it's that "Time of the month" for my car. The car did it to me this morning again - not starting. I noticed I was on E. So I'm thinking it has to do with the fact I practically drove the car on fumes yesterday lol.

go over to the place on charleston and sloan, a good honest guy.( at least last year when i got mine smoged)

Lol btw, the road I had to fix my car on the fly was on Craig Road, right in front of the Cannery...Ahahaha...Just what I was planning on doing today!! Yayyy!!! Nearly avoiding death to make my car run again! YES!:cheers:

You have got to love Oklahoma. Unless you live in certain counties (very few) they don't inspect the vehicles anymore. The counties that do inspection is for emissions only. Needless to say there are a ton of vehicles on the road that are unsafe and should have been junked long ago.

Out here in the country there is no sniffer,but there is on the coast in greater Vancouver area. 25 yr and older cars are exempt from air care,as thier classics.

I still remember passing my air care test in my 74 Duster,beefy 318 that went rumpity rump. Did it by mixing methanol in with the gas,lol...

can you post the numbers as shown on the sheet?

like Co2 PPM MAX - Actual
Nox PPM Max-Actual

etc...

if they test for O2 like in CA then you cant do the alcohol trick...

but Nox are created from high cylinder temps and if you back the timing off or re-adjust the fuel, could be to lean or rich...

its kinda funny here in Wisconsin since they only test cars 95 and newer now. and even those you can trick the computer to pass. since they dont use the sniffer anymore just plug in and go. i have seen so many riced out hondas with no cat or muffler. pass emmisions its silly but they dont have a code so they pass.

I cant believe Im saying this...Republik of Kalifornia doesnt check pre 76 cars...Who hoo! Used to be pre 66, thats why I bought a 65...

I cant believe Im saying this...Republik of Kalifornia doesnt check pre 76 cars...Who hoo! Used to be pre 66, thats why I bought a 65...

its been that way for a long time... then i moved to az and its 68 and newer... and my daily is a 68 dart... blah...

its kinda funny here in Wisconsin since they only test cars 95 and newer now. and even those you can trick the computer to pass. since they dont use the sniffer anymore just plug in and go. i have seen so many riced out hondas with no cat or muffler. pass emmisions its silly but they dont have a code so they pass.

its easy to get OBDII to lie for ya... most good tuners. SCT, diablo etc can make it so no code will be shown in the computer and the check light never comes on...

can you post the numbers as shown on the sheet?

like Co2 PPM MAX - Actual
Nox PPM Max-Actual

etc...

if they test for O2 like in CA then you cant do the alcohol trick...

but Nox are created from high cylinder temps and if you back the timing off or re-adjust the fuel, could be to lean or rich...

I don't have it anymore...And I fear if I go back to the shop, I might kill the owner. How about they did something to the exhaust while it was in the shop? The pipe running from the muffler is rubbing up against the leaf spring now....
I'm not stupid. I ran a shop before, I know all the skeezy,skeevy ploys. I tried wedging a pry-bar in between the pipe and the leaf spring and forcing the exhaust to move but of course that did NOTHING.
Any ideas? Or would you guys need to see a pic of it 1st?

heres what i found out while i was smogging mine last year: high CO means running rich, while high HC means running lean. high on both indicates a real problem with the engine (burning oil), or an ignition problem, not enough spark to burn all the fuel. if you fail a smog test here in nevada the shop can leagaly go into the "four gas mode" on the computer and tell you what all the numbers are. not many will do this. most want to charge you large amounts of cash to "fix" the problem. "smog busters" are the worst ones. the guy on charleston and sloan will tell you what all the numbers are so you can fix what you need to, you just need to show him your failed report. last year i failed several times and studied hard on smog. what i kept doing is what all the sites say which is: tune for max vacume and then detune about 20%, kept getting high HC. i then tuned it for max vacume WITHOUT detuning it and passed easily.
the guy at chas. and sloan has another shop over on the west side but i cant find his card to tell you where it is.

heres what i found out while i was smogging mine last year: high CO means running rich, while high HC means running lean. high on both indicates a real problem with the engine (burning oil), or an ignition problem, not enough spark to burn all the fuel. if you fail a smog test here in nevada the shop can leagaly go into the "four gas mode" on the computer and tell you what all the numbers are. not many will do this. most want to charge you large amounts of cash to "fix" the problem. "smog busters" are the worst ones. the guy on charleston and sloan will tell you what all the numbers are so you can fix what you need to, you just need to show him your failed report. last year i failed several times and studied hard on smog. what i kept doing is what all the sites say which is: tune for max vacume and then detune about 20%, kept getting high HC. i then tuned it for max vacume WITHOUT detuning it and passed easily.
the guy at chas. and sloan has another shop over on the west side but i cant find his card to tell you where it is.

i think you backwards on those as a HC or HydroCarbons is unburnt fuel...

Well yeah like I said, it passed so I'm kinda over that part...I'm just pissed I gotta take my baby to these shoddy shops out here and have their greasy, money hungry hands touching my car where she's not supposed to be touched.

Well yeah like I said, it passed so I'm kinda over that part...I'm just pissed I gotta take my baby to these shoddy shops out here and have their greasy, money hungry hands touching my car where she's not supposed to be touched.

lmao...gottta agree with you on that, thats why i learned to do things for myself. VB you know about the sunday morning car show? rancho and rainbow. cmon out wanna see what you got:hello2:

-
Back