mystery hole 67 273 timing chain cover

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
Had the water pump on and then saw this empty bolt hole in the timing cover, couldn't get a bolt in there due to the water pump outlet, pulled water pump, only to find that this bolt hole doesn't seem to have a corresponding hoel in the block. Is there something that supposed to go here? Is it ok to leave this hole open? The hole is just below the water pump on the drivers side, I checked three other timing covers and they don't have a hole there, they are all 73 up(or whatever year they changed to the aluminum pump. Here are a couple pics.
087_zps432b6fe3.jpg

088_zpsf5b03663.jpg

Thanks
Aaron

it appears to be letting oil out, so i would say its no good. i cant say i have ever seen one with that hole

Oops sorry that first pick is a piece of wire I was pointing at the hole with. Not sure if I should put the water pump back on. Had to go to 2 auto parts to get a new gasket. The first one said "we can order it, it would be here tomorrow".

I seem to remember that same hole when assembling my engine, a 340 that I set all up with pulleys, water pump/front cover and bracketry from a 273. I got the feeling it was probably to correspond to a hole in an early 273, but then deleted on the later engines.

That is totally normal. No hole in the block to put a bolt into. Not really sure why the boss is there in the first place. No worries.

My 273 car is at the garage but is that where the ground wire from the battery is?

Mine is in the shop too ;-) but I don't think so. I don't think they'd ground to an aluminum piece that has a gasket between it and the block (galvanic corrosion, poor connection). I think the ground strap is bolted on the end of the head (return path for spark, among other things).

Might be for an early accessory bracket... power steering pump?

Maybe it's just one of those "it's Mopar.....who on earth knows?!" oddities. Like why did they go from a 70 Barracuda dual headlight front end to a Challenger clone 4-headlight front end in '71, then back to a sort-of copy of a '70 front end, in '72?

Or.....why does the Demon scoop cars have holes in the hood with no functional air cleaner to hook up to them?

WHY?

h59A187F6

Score! BTW how do those poly logs flow> Look like 4.7 logs..

I'm a big fan of tossing old timing covers in favor of the later ones with the seal you can remove without ripping apart the whole front end of the motor. And the later damper, so you can time it.

-
Back