MYSTERY METAL

-

jonnyrose

Reaction score
so i have a 360 out of a truck,decided to put it in 68 dart,changed out the oil pan today and found this in the bottom of the pan,motor runs good with know noise,very clean inside and has been built in the past,sounds like a good rv cam,plus all the rods have been stamped,any idea what these bits are,i know the yellowish one is a rock,pieces are very flexible very soft grey in color

stuff in the pan 002.JPG

stuff in the pan 003.JPG

stuff in the pan 004.JPG

stuff in the pan 005.JPG

stuff in the pan 006.JPG

stuff in the pan 007.JPG

stuff in the pan 008.JPG

Are they for sure metal? Might be timing chain tentioner material? JUST A GUESS!

Put a torch to it to see if it burns. If it’s flexible, it’s probably not metal. Could be etc or gasket material of some sort

I bet someone got carried away with the gasket maker. If it runs good, sounds good and you have oil pressure just run it.

Maybe gasket paper from maybe a piece of timing cover gasket.

The rock-and maybe gasket material from a pan gasket change? Or a timing chain job?

I would just be happy its no longer in there.

its metal but doesn't stick to magnet,it bends easy,im not to concered but just curios

Did you check/replace the main seals? I've seen many different styles. Some have metal reinforcement. That looks about the right width, length(if you reassemble the pieces), and has the ridge.

What you have found is remnants of cam bushing babbit. Sorry to say but it's got to come apart to replace the cam bearings. The rock.. that's just a rock!

Pic #2, large chunk, right hand side - looks to be a circular oil galley hole from a bearing, with only 1/4 of it remaining.

Can you remove the tarnish?

If it’s not a bearing, looks as if it’s just timing cover gasket scrapings. Which would explain the rock. All the junk from a timing cover change falls into the oil pan. A dirty truck collects a lot of rocks.

The pebble is funny, I race with a guy who just installed hydramat in his fuel tank. He pull a ROCK out of the tank as big as his fist! It has been in there for 30 years! He dragged the car out of a Georgia wrecking yard and fixed the body. Never looked inside the tank. Perfectly clean except the boulder! Looks like bearing material or the flat spring from timing chain tensioner, but that would be magnetic.

Looks like bearing remnants to me....

Don't look like bearing anything to me , hell their thicker than any lower end bearing.

I bought a new 1969 coronet /440/4speed R/T back in 1969. The first time I changed oil in it, the oil quit coming out shotly after pulling the drain plug. I took a piece of wire w/ a hook bent on the end and pulled a fairly big piece of steel wool out of the pan. Did a little extra pour thru and didn`t get anything else, that was one of the fastest hi way cars I`ve ever owned, and ran fine . Ended up trading it for a 68 427 corvette, which was the biggest piece of junk I`ve ever owned as far as a hotrod goes !!

-
Back