-
Status
Not open for further replies.

eviper21

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
just bought a gold duster for 500 bucks with a 225 slant six that threw a rod straight out the side of the block. I think the head is still good, so im looking for a short block! for cheap

im in SOcAL LA/ Ventura area

anyone out here?

thanks

Drive to Seattle and have the whole enchilada for free.

I was just going to say that people give them away for free, w/ tranny. That is one beauty of a slant six. Should be simple to find someone in the LA area. If in a hurry, post on craigslist. Don't pay >$100, unless a certified rebuild from a name company.

Dang my uncle lives in Seattle too, I just dont know how im going to get it to Cali haha. I actually found a guy about 2 hours away says hell sell me a short block for $50. Its bored over and the crank has been redone .02 under. I just hope the head in mine is still good. Does that sound fair? Its got no timing components but the motor I have should be a straight swap for the other stuff

Dang my uncle lives in Seattle too, I just dont know how im going to get it to Cali haha. I actually found a guy about 2 hours away says hell sell me a short block for $50. Its bored over and the crank has been redone .02 under. I just hope the head in mine is still good. Does that sound fair? Its got no timing components but the motor I have should be a straight swap for the other stuff

What year is the long block you found? By the time you buy the gasket set and the gas to go get the short block you could have bought a running engine. If you want a short block I would pull your head and have it checked before you buy one.

well the dart im getting threw a rod out the side of the block, so that block is toast. the short block im getting comes with pistons a crank rods etc. i needs rings and bearings and i was planning on taking the cam / push rods / timing chain etc. off the blown motor. Is that not a good idea?

i just need to get the car actually moving as soon as possible so i dont have to pay storage fees on it for too long. I have 5.2 magnum that im pretty sure will run...but its gonna cost allot to get the tranny and everything to swap it over.

If me, I would probably get the short block too. If you re-assemble from scratch, at least you know what you have. A used engine could work, but you must be able to check it out thoroughly (compression, timing chain stretch, etc). Make sure you can get under-sized bearings and no other "gotcha" that will halt the project. Parts are a bit harder to get in slant world. Ask why the guy is selling it.

Pretty rare to re-use a timing chain. People often tear apart the front just to replace the timing chain and sprockets, and leave the cam in place. A new set costs ~$30 (SB, 225 same?). You can get issues if the head is milled too much, and need a custom chain to compensate. I would consider a new cam and lifters. I got a cam reground in Lancaster for ~$30 in 1991. They are still there (something Metallizing), but you can get anything done in the L.A. basin. The Slant Six guys have posted much info on better cams.

Getting a head re-done is amazingly cheap. I recall paying ~$50 some years ago. They usually magna-flux, re-grind the valves, check the valve guide wear, new valve stem seals, and pressure test. An assembly line operation. If you have a broken bolt, they charge <$10 to get it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back