Need Delivery vehicle that gets decent mileage - PT Cruiser/Magnum/HHR

-

challengergary

Reaction score
Okay - gas looks like it's going to hit $4 a gallon pretty soon. Now that I am back in South Florida, I find myself driving a lot more and at 12mpg my '99 Dodge Ram QC 1500 is costing me WAY too much in gas. I need something that gets better mileage but can still be loaded up with some stuff for local deliveries. Don't really need a big truck or van, just something that can lay the back seats down in to fit some material once in a while and maybe some printing to deliver to customers.

I was thinking about one of 3 vehicles - PT Cruiser, Dodge Magnum (w 6 cyl not hemi), or a Chevy HHR. Looking to spend around 5-6K (preferably less) so the Magnum may be out on that basis alone.

Any thoughts?

BTW - what is my 1999 Dodge Ram QC 1500 Sport w 105K miles, decent/average paint, a new transmission, recent 20" wheels & tires, and nice interior worth? Am I dreaming to think around 4.5K for it?

How bout a small truck?

Okay - gas looks like it's going to hit $4 a gallon pretty soon. Now that I am back in South Florida, I find myself driving a lot more and at 12mpg my '99 Dodge Ram QC 1500 is costing me WAY too much in gas. I need something that gets better mileage but can still be loaded up with some stuff for local deliveries. Don't really need a big truck or van, just something that can lay the back seats down in to fit some material once in a while and maybe some printing to deliver to customers.

I was thinking about one of 3 vehicles - PT Cruiser, Dodge Magnum (w 6 cyl not hemi), or a Chevy HHR. Looking to spend around 5-6K (preferably less) so the Magnum may be out on that basis alone.

Any thoughts?

BTW - what is my 1999 Dodge Ram QC 1500 Sport w 105K miles, decent/average paint, a new transmission, recent 20" wheels & tires, and nice interior worth? Am I dreaming to think around 4.5K for it?
Well if you do the magnum are you doing highway?? cause if you do the hemi will get way better mileage, i have the 3.5 six in my wifes 300 best mpg i have ever gotten is 25-26 mpg my charger with 5.7 hemi, I have gotten 30-31 mpg, my son who has a 2002 neon with the 2.0- 4 gets 40 - 45 mpg. I had a friend with the HHR and he got rid of it in less then 6 months due to the horrible handling in the snow. so I say go with the pt cruser they should be cheaper than the HHR anyway.

I'd go with a Hemi Magnum if you look hard enough ou should be able to get one at a good price.

my wife has a neon to run to work 33mpg.and the rear seat folds down.its been a good car put a timing belt in at 7500 anothe at195,000 and its knocking on the door of 300,000 and still going...:wav:

I would say a Neon or a Cruiser. I service lots of shops on my tool route and I see very few of these cars being worked on. The price is right too. I have a Cruiser and it's comfortable and fun to drive. toolman

Attachments

• DSC00010.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 195
I was really starting to think the PT is the way to go too. They are a lot more affordable. Although, I'd love to get a Magnum, they are quite a bit more $$

It's always good to stay with Mopar but the HHR gets the best mileage of the three. My dad had one for 3 years (the longest he ever keeps a car) and would get 30mpg with about 80% being highway.

We gotta low mileage ford Escape that's paid off.

I would go with the neon or pt with a stick shift.
My wife has had her 02 neon since it was almost new and it gets consistant 25+ mpg around town, and well over 30 on the highway.
The shame is there is nothing wrong with the car and I am about to trade it for a new Caliber with a stick shift this weekend, if they will give me a decent trade on her neon(the neon is clean with only 102,000 miles).

Our PT has about 130,000 miles on it, and the only thing we've had to replace was the EGR valve. It's been a very trouble-free car.

Every time someone buys a PT cruiser god kills a kitten... please think of the kittens

-
Back