Need Exhaust Recommendations

-
Be warned if you purchase the TTI 2.5" system. My mechanic just installed this system on my Dart Sport, and while it looks and sounds great, it was a NIGHTMARE for him to install. This system is not the simple, painless fit that TTI advertises for A-bodies.#-o

GTX, set it up with the Noise Reduction package like the factory did. Not sure if 71's had it but they used a tighter muffler and turned down tailpipes instead of the chrome tips. You could tell everyone that it is stock on yours that way :):). I might still have mine in the basement, not sure if we used them on another car or not. I know I have the noise reduction stock 340 Duster mufflers still.
Tom

VOE, I'd like to see a pic of them if you still have them. Did they dump under the bumper or further in?

Be warned if you purchase the TTI 2.5" system. My mechanic just installed this system on my Dart Sport, and while it looks and sounds great, it was a NIGHTMARE for him to install. This system is not the simple, painless fit that TTI advertises for A-bodies.#-o

Don't worry. That's what this entire thread was about. Actually, it was about adding dual exhaust on the cheap (so that takes care of even considering TTI). Sorry to hear that there were problems installing their system.

BTW: '73 340s used 360 exhaust manifolds, correct? Do they by any chance have the same headpipe flange angle as a 318? If I could just bolt these up, that would be fantastic. Can anyone think of any other issue(s) with using this exhaust on the Dart?
Many years ago I ordered a direct replacment 340 pipe set from Big A auto parts for a 70 340 Duster. Turns out it must have been for 73&up. Drivers side fit fine, but pass wasn't even close to my 70 HP manifold. I had a late 70/early80s 360 pickup motor in storage so I pulled that pass side manifold and it was a perfect matchup to the exhaust pipe. My guess is 318 is same angle just different pipe flange.
Hoped that helped clarify part of your question.

GTX, I recall they dumped under the body in front of the bumper on a 70 . Not really too visible. I'll see if my brother in law has them over at his house, he has my old 68 Cuda and I may have given them to him as all I can find are my stock 69 Cuda pipes and mufflers here. :(
Tom

My pop said back in the day he had a pair of "popper stoppers" put on his 383 Fury. He had cherry bombs put on it & said it was too loud. At least thats what the po-po told him, so he had to hush it up a little! Still never seen "popper stoppers" tho. Must have been some sort of resonator.

What the heck is po-po? :|

Are you perhaps refering to Police???

I too think the popper stoppers were a generic resonator.

My pop said back in the day he had a pair of "popper stoppers" put on his 383 Fury. He had cherry bombs put on it & said it was too loud. At least thats what the po-po told him, so he had to hush it up a little! Still never seen "popper stoppers" tho. Must have been some sort of resonator.

I think that's what he was referring to (which is a relatively nice term compared to some other descriptive words I have heard here). ;-)

LoL! My dad was a state trooper here in Oklahoma for 30 years. He has been called everything in the book. His favorite one is "the fuzz". Everytime we are in the car & see someone pulled over he says "That guy got caught by the fuzz".8)
I have dad's original 1979 state-issue MagLite in my truck!
& yes the po-po is a police officer ;)

I ordered the exhaust kit late last Thursday but the order went in on Friday and the kit arrived this morning. Not bad. I am going to try like hell to get them installed this week and then it's onto getting the new vinyl top on and getting the body-colored wheels and dog dishes on.

I took the Summit kit to four exhaust shops today. To install it and fab the two head/down pipes (because this kit is meant for headers and not exhaust manifolds) I received four quotes ranging from $250-$340. I knew it was not going to be a $100 install job but I didn't expect this either. Looks like the total for this project will be about $425-430. Granted it is less than the $500-$550 range for a custom-built exhaust but that did include MagnaFlows. I may have them installed on Thursday.

Ben,

I just got the Summit exhaust on my Dart last night. Took some hacking and chopping because it was set up for Hookers and I have tti's on the dart. Works pretty good.

Like we spoke about, if you are going to do it yourself, start at rear, with muffler in the proper spot then hook up the front.

Even if you got some 2.5" headpipes made that weren't mandrel bent, I don't think that's going to be a big deal on the 318. Might even help a bit.

No comment on the other stuff...

Rob

LOL

Hey Rob, How do the Summit mufflers sound ?

Not bad. They are the cheapies that come with the kit and has a choppy musclecar sound to them, like flowmasters. No x or H pipe to mellow it out.

Haven't been able to hear them from outside the cabin. I'd like to get my neighbor to take it down the street so I can hear it as it drives by.

The pipes stick out like 5-6" beyond the rear valance. I may be cutting the pipes off short of the valance and installing turn downs. Hoping turndowns would mellow the tone a bit too...

I'll see if I can get a video on the sound. No digital camcorders here.

A bachelor like you doesnt have a video camera ?

Don't need a digi-cam for those types of films... LOL

I have a tape/SD card camcorder, but can't find an SD card that works with it that isn't a fortune. Cant' upload the video from the tape to computer, at least I haven't figured it out.

Ben. Did you get the exhaust done ? Find a set of tips yet ?

Re: the exhaust. It is getting welded up as we speak. It kills me not to be able to hang it myself, clamp it and take it over there and have them weld it but since the downpipes needed to be fabricated, it didn't make sense.

As usual (and especially around here), the less work they are going to do for you, the more expensive it is. That's how they get the overall job ... by knocking it down where it doesn't make sense for you to get involved.

I am though looking forward to getting a call from them today. I asked them to call me when it was done (except for the installation of the tips). I wanted to go down there and determine how far they will extend from the valance (we've all ready determined where they will be exiting).

As for the tips, I think I will save that one for another day. Or should I? :snakeman:

Not bad. They are the cheapies that come with the kit and has a choppy musclecar sound to them, like flowmasters. No x or H pipe to mellow it out.

Haven't been able to hear them from outside the cabin. I'd like to get my neighbor to take it down the street so I can hear it as it drives by.

The pipes stick out like 5-6" beyond the rear valance. I may be cutting the pipes off short of the valance and installing turn downs. Hoping turndowns would mellow the tone a bit too...

I'll see if I can get a video on the sound. No digital camcorders here.

Rob, congratulations on getting those on. I almost toyed around with the idea of picking up a set of headers so that I could throw the system on myself (by eliminating the need for the downpipes to be fabricated) but that would have defeated the original purpose of this ($). Also, since I read that the Summit kit was designed for Hooker Headers, I knew I would probably end up having to buy those so I didn't run into what you did. Otherwise, I will wait to see how it sounds in a couple of hours.

He asked if I wanted an h-pipe installed. I asked him to spray some black exhaust paint on the first three feet of the inner intermediate pipes in order to see if there was a hot spot anywhere along the way. We'll see if one develops and if not, I will have him install one where it makes most sense. Again, congrats on getting yours on.

BTW: Motor #1 was completed yesterday. #2 starts next week.

The exhaust came out good. I was expecting it to be a little louder but it isn't (which I like). I'm sure with headers, it would be louder. Cruising on the highway, you can barely tell the difference. At idle, you can. Here is the before & after video and a few pics at the shop (and one of the kit when it arrived).

Before Video:
http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/...art Exhaust/?action=view&current=MVI_3920.flv

After Video:
http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/...art Exhaust/?action=view&current=MVI_3937.flv

Pics:
http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/...art Exhaust/?action=view&current=IMG_3913.jpg

http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/...t Exhaust/?action=view&current=IMG_3925_2.jpg

http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/...art Exhaust/?action=view&current=IMG_3927.jpg

http://s292.photobucket.com/albums/...art Exhaust/?action=view&current=IMG_3931.jpg

Looks like it fits pretty good. How did the shop feel about it ? Decided against the H pipe ? Do you feel a difference in power?

I bet it gets louder after some miles are put on those mufflers.

While it was on the rack, I sprayed the inner intermediate pipes black to see if a hot spot appears. I have a feeling I won't see one. If not, one will be cut-in in the usual space. The shop was fine with the installation except for the initial downpipe size. He used 2" for the initial 16"-18" of the downpipe. Performance-wise, I noticed a substantial difference in the lower-mid range. I knew there was some restriction taking place and I honestly believe that the additonal flow has made a positive difference..

Looks sharp Ben. I'll have to wait until I get home to listen to the sound clip. I can't believe how much the shops are charging to do head pipes now. I must living in the past...

Looks sharp Ben. I'll have to wait until I get home to listen to the sound clip. I can't believe how much the shops are charging to do head pipes now. I must living in the past...

No Stan, you live in the SF Bay Area. ;) It was a little more than I wanted to spend but it's done and I'll move forward with it. Let me know what you think of the short sound bytes.

i like it! it has a more meaty sound to it. i also know what your talking about with the bay area pricing issues. i recently picked up a welder and a couple other large tools so i dont have to deal with that crap as much.

-
Back