Need help/advice

-

Dizzydean

Reaction score
Anybody in the tri citys area that might be able to help or give me a direction to go. I have a /6 that will run with the choke on but once it kicks off it doesnt want to idle. I have replaced the items in the kit and its helped a little but still idles very rough. Car has been sitting a while and the previous owner cleaned out the tank. I have replaced the 50 year old fuel fltr with 2 inlines to keep the crud out. Doesnt look to bad but im stuck. I dont hear any vacuum leaks maybe a valve adjstmnt? Thanks for any help.

Offhand I'd say the carb has something plugged. What did you use to clean it? Some of the one bbls can be a bit tricky because of the metering

I took everything apart and sprayed brake cleaner through all holes then put all the new parts back after it ha dried. I can keep it idling if I keep tapping the pedal. It sounds rough with a definite miss but it will stay with the coaxing. Unfortunately I gave my dart book away.

Anything that may be causing a low vacuum signal, also may need to bump up your timing a little. Float could be a little low also.

What year we workin' on? You can download several shop manuals free over at MyMopar Some of them came from the guys on here

Brake cleaner will NOT dissolve some gunk and varnish. If that's what you are using you need to get some carb cleaner. There is a limit to older carbs. Some of them just aren't worth the trouble.

Ahem, What year?
-Adjustment issues; idle speed, timing,Bowl vent,
-Vacuum issues;EGR valve stuck open.PCV stuck open? Brake booster bad?Vacuum amp leaking. NOx valve bad?ETC.Wrong or bad gaskets? Open vacuum ports.
-Fuel issues;Missing check valve in acc.pump discharge circuit and plugged suction breaker.float level wrong.
-Mechanical issues; Bad intake valve(s) or valve lash.
-other; bad TC, Crankcase overfilled, plugged exhaust.

Every slant 6 I've ever had needed a valve adjustment = ruff idle fixed

Sorry guys I moved over to the /6 forum. I took the plugs out they were all gaped unevenly so i fixed then i pulled the cap off and found a bent rotor and the cap was scratched on the inside so I replaced the dist with a spare I had with a good point and new cap/rotor-swapped out the coil with a new one i had. The car is a 67 with the holley single no power anything on this one. My last item is to do the valve adj some time next week they are kind of clacking. I havent gotten into the car to seriously yet as there is paperwork issues still so Im trying to eliminate items with good parts I have. Hopefully the valve adjst does the trick thats what Im thinking also That and replace the carb

OK one job "near the top of the list" is to discover HOW that rotor / cap got damaged. Did you maybe get the cap on crooket, or is the distributor worn out?

So the cap n rotor were on the car when I got it so looks like the prev owner did a tune and got the cap half on maybe regardless I replaced it with a spare still same no idle so i did the valve adj and its a bit quieter but still no idle. Only thing left is the carb. Also this is the dirtiest engine Ive seen in a long time the oil looks like carbon on the head and inside valve cover.

I think as crudly (is that a word) as this looks I might be better off looking for another engine. But I am willing to try the comp in a couple days.

67Dart273 Im in total agreement with you. So now its paperwork then the motor. This car still has the white wash plates on it and apparently the oil the car originally came with also. Thanks for all the help.

You ever get over this way I've got the remains of a slant I'd give you. This might not be a favor. I got it as a junker, head was off, no idea of it's history.

Hey Dean, I will have a 225 /6 available after I do my RB swap on my 67 Barracuda, but not till next year.

I appreciate all the help. I havent given up on the motor yet I but a carb togethet out of three and got to drive half a block and it died. A front wheel sounded like it was going to fall off. After checking both the drums they look painted and the brake hardware looks new but the drivers wheel locks up after putting it together. Maybe the drum is warped. Just playing while I get no help from the seller regarding a notorized bill of sale. Still have to do the state insp.

A little update. My insp is the 21st. I found the drum was bent,apparently when the prev owner replaced it he pushed the hub in to hard )?( and bent the drum so I have bought a used one so i can rool the car on a trailer. Its a lot different from the ones on the car its wider and has fins but it works for now. AND i did an oil change and replaced the holley with a carter. The car fired right up and was running for about 30-45 seconds until i shut it down due to oil all over the ground. Oil filtr issue? Thats the only thing I changes. I used the ph8a and it felt tight towards the end. To short? Can I cut the whatever its called tube a couple inches and not hurt anything? This car will go around the block one day-not on a trailer.

NO, don't cut the tube; that anti-drainback tube has the function of keeping oil in the filter when the engine sits for a while and it works to get pressure oil to the engine sooner at startup. That engine needs all the oil it can get!

Get the proper filter; NAPA PN should be 1515 for the long anti-drainback tube.

Other than that, you'll just have to get under there and find the leak; most likley it is on the passenger side. Prime suspects are the valve cover and fuel pump gaskets, and the oil pump gaskets. Under the front would be the timing cover gaskets.

BTW, did the oil light on the dash go out when it fired up and ran?

For reasons like this sometimes I get called Dutherland instead of Sutherland. Apparently I didnt even notice =, due to the blackness of everything, that the old ring was still on the pump. Ill try a new filter later and post hopefully a positive outcome. #-o

For reasons like this sometimes I get called Dutherland instead of Sutherland. Apparently I didnt even notice =, due to the blackness of everything, that the old ring was still on the pump. Ill try a new filter later and post hopefully a positive outcome. #-o
It'll be good to be that easy!

-
Back