need help FABO family, who has the skinny on Police Scanners?

-

mtandrews

beware the Ides of March
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, a bunch of y'all know I'm in the towing & recovery business down here in South Texas. We run just south of San Antonio in Wilson, Karnes, and Dewitt county for Tx State Troopers and Wilson and Karnes for each counties Sheriff departments. It has been suggested to me by a deputy that's over the Wrecker Division that I might want to look at investing in a mobile scanner as they are about to tighten up on wrecker response times. The thinking here is that if we can hear the call on the scanner we can get headed that way before the call comes in over the phone to cut down our ETA. And being the only company that does Heavy Duty in Wilson county that extra jump will definitely help.

Here's the deal, I have no friggin' idea how to pick a scanner. Plenty of places on the WWW sells them but only one helps you select one for your geographical region as long as you allow them to bombard you with emails from 3rd party vendors and that ain't happening. So how do I go about this? Is anyone here knowledgeable in this arena? I don't just want to shoot in the dark and hope I hit something after spending a grip on a high end scanner....

I had a friend years ago into that stuff. He had all the top notch stuff. Midland. It was top of the line then, but I don't know about now.

Radio Shack and program it yourself for free. Here is the link to the frequency(s) that you will need. http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/

I have had a scanner for about 15 years and it will go mobile as well as a base unit. All you need is the reciever because you won't be allowed to transmit on law enforcement channels.

Here is an example pulled from the site above.

Wilson County

The Sheriffs Office can operate in APCO-25 Digital Mode on their two repeaters.

1. Frequency

2. License

3. Type

4. Tone

5. Alpha Tag

6. Description

7. Mode

8. Tag

1. 155.66250

2. KVF685

3. RM

4. 293 NAC

5. Wilson SO

6. Wilson County SO Dispatch Digital

7. P25

8. Law Dispatch

1. 155.55000

KVF685

R

203.5 PL

Wilson Fire

Wilson County SO/Fire Dispatch Analog

FM

8. Fire Dispatch

KVF685

M

CSQ

Texas Law 1

Wilson County SO Intercity Mobile

FM

Interop

KVF685

B

CSQ

Texas Law 2

Wilson County SO Intercity Base

FM

Interop

All FCC issued frequencies, modes, etc, are public information, and if you are the least bit friendly with the departments you work with, you should be able to get a frequency list.

The problem nowadays is that "thangs 'er 'ha changin"

First, conventional FM is being "split" that is 1/2 the frequency deviation is beginning to be mandated. I haven't kept up, so don't know where this process "sits."

There are several frequency bands, not all used in all departments

"Low band VHF" FM, around 30--50mhz, still used in some more rural fire depts and such

"High band FM VHF" up around 150-170mhz

and UHF usually 450-470 or a variation

800 mhz (and other high UHF) used for trunking systems

Then you have the mix of wide vs the newly mandated narrow band FM, as well as digital.

Not all this stuff is necessarily active in one area. so get the frequency lists FIRST of the deptartments you will be working with.

So if you are in an area where both 5Khz and 2.5khz deviation is used, you need a scanner that will perform well with both, or accordingly

Some departments use "trunking" which frequency skips according to a controller, so a scanner must have this "trunking" capability. Your department may or may not use this system

Some use digital communications, so you must have a digi capable radio.

Another route you might want to investigate, if you are in good shape with some of the departments, is to get yourself authorized to possess and operate a two way radio, all programmed up for the appropriate frequencies you'll need. You may have to buy your own radio, but one of the dept. radio shops might be able to program it for you In many jurisdictions, this involves some simple paperwork, in others in entails the "sheriff" looking you in the eye, shaking your hand, and saying "yup."

-
Back