Need Help! Motor turns....won't start

-

Swinger803

1973 Dart Swinger 225
Reaction score
So I know you guys probably get tired of seeing this thread get started.....over and over again, but here we go.

I have a 73 swinger..225 single barrel holley, electronic ignition. I don't exactly drive it daily, but I do use the car to get back and forth to work on occasion. (4 mi round trip). I went to leave work last night and the car just won't turn over. Got a ride this morning and tried some starting fluid to no avail..trying to track down a fuel filter right now to check that out..

what should I do...I really need to get my baby back in the driveway. any help would be greatly appreciated.

If I can't get the car to start with starting fluid...what do you guys think about bypassing the filter to eliminate that as an issue??

Pull the air filter, See if ya got fuel sqirtin into the carb when you open the throttle

okay, next look for spark, get an old spark plug, pull one of the easiest wires you can get to off a plug in the motor, insert spare plug into plug boot and lay it on the valve cover and crank it over, you should see a good spark at the electrode on the plug

Pull a plug wire off a spark plug and use a screw driver,, put it in the plug wire and do what jaimus said..

If it doesn't fire with starting fluid fuel delivery is not the problem.
Put a jumper across the balast resistor or pull those connectors of and tie them together with a small metal strip.

Man...you guys are great! thanks for the quick responses. Right now I'm stuck waiting on a buddy to come up to the parking lot to give me a jump...batteries getting weak at this point. Will try the ballast jumper here in a few.

Thanks again!

If it doesn't fire with starting fluid fuel delivery is not the problem.
Put a jumper across the balast resistor or pull those connectors of and tie them together with a small metal strip.

a big 10.4 RedFish X2 :cheers:
and don't run it very long this way, have your buddy pick up another ballast resister for just a few bucks any auto parts..They should be opening by now.

Ain't but three things it can be. Either it's not gettin fuel, not gettin fire, or not gettin either at the right TIME.

So I know its been a few days, but here is where I'm at. I ordered a ballast resistor Sunday from rock auto. Got.it this morning and put it on...to no avail. While waiting replaced the fuel filter..still no luck.. I've had to work nights all week so I haven't had much time to mess around with anything else..
I always hate it when the dart won't run, it just gets to me.

So I know its been a few days, but here is where I'm at. I ordered a ballast resistor Sunday from rock auto. Got.it this morning and put it on...to no avail. While waiting replaced the fuel filter..still no luck.. I've had to work nights all week so I haven't had much time to mess around with anything else..
I always hate it when the dart won't run, it just gets to me.

Do you have spark jumping from a plug wire, or have you checked yet?

Me, I use a pair of pliers with rubber handles and pull the coil wire up and off the distributor cap about a 1/4 inch and see a good blue/white spark jump, BUT if your cap and rotor is bad you will need to do the same to a plug wire like I said earlier by using a small screw driver in the plug wire and put the metal part of the screw drive about an 1/8 inch away from the valve cover or any other grounded metal and see if it is throwing a spark. That's how I do it anyway.

For the future, you need some simple tools. Get a multimeter and in-line spark tester (neon bulb) from Harbor Freight (both $3 on sale, sometimes free). You also need a battery charger ($6 trickle charger, ~$30 for 10 A charger). I recently got a fancy light Black & Decker one that even tests the alternator for $35 at Big Lots. A remote starter switch is also nice ($3). Connect from +12V to the yellow wire spade terminal on the starter relay (on firewall).

As others say, it should run on just starter fluid, if not flooded w/ gas. I have done that many times in many different cars (and lawnmowers). Remove the air cleaner, open the throttle and spray right down the carb barrel. Close the throttle and quickly run around and crank the engine. For a quickie, you can just spray in the air cleaner and run faster (or use remote switch), but you are now in "no shortcuts" mode. Do this after sitting overnight so any possibly flooded gas has evaporated. I think most carbs have a "clear flood" mode where holding the pedal to the floor doesn't allow any fuel to flow as you crank, but might be just throttle bodies.

Without a spark tester, do as others say, disconnect a spark wire, pull back the boot and set so the metal tip is ~1/4" away from bare metal on the engine (any bolt on the intake manifold or AC compressor). You should see a spark jump the gap as you crank. I know the normal spark gap is 0.035", but it can jump much farther at 1 atm pressure, several inches with electronic ignition.

If no spark, check that the + terminal on your coil has voltage when your key is in the ignition position (oil lamp on). It should be ~8 V since it drops thru the ballast resistor. If not, either the ballast resistor, key switch, or the wiring is bad. While cranking the engine, it should get full battery voltage (13.4 V ideally, less since starter draws it down).

If that is OK, note that the designers put the slant six distributor in a nasty place where it gets dirty and wet. On my first job on the Texas coast, my slant wouldn't start after a rain. The Foreman immediately grabbed a can of WD-40, popped my cap and sprayed all inside. It started right up, as he gave a Cajun grin at the new engineer. Must have been a well-known coonass fix that would probably work as well in SC.

If you have a good spark, and it is going to the right cylinder at the right time (should if you didn't bugger with anything), it should run on starter fluid. If not, go deep and maybe get a shop manual (FSM) for below.

Setup the spark test again on the cyl#1 wire (front of engine), crank the engine and insure that the spark fires about the same time that the TDC mark on the damper aligns with the 0 deg marker (10 deg before is best). It should spark once for every 2 crank rotations. If not, remove the distributor cap and insure the rotor turns as you crank the engine. The slant six has a plastic gear on the distributor that can break. Mine did but only because my brother did a Xmas gift tuneup and didn't tell me he dropped a little nut in the distributor which jammed it 1000 mi later.

If so, the bubble-pack Help line at auto parts used to have the gear for ~$5. Don't make my mistake of putting the gear on wrong. I ASSumed the retainer pin was supposed to fit in the slots on the gear. I didn't even notice the holes for the pin. That was decades ago when I was a dumF kid (and mech engr student, as was my dumerF brother). You can get the guys on www.slantsix.org excited arguing whether some had 2 pins and if that is better.

When you re-install the distributor, the rotor must point at the #1 tower with the engine at TDC on the compression stroke. Did you mark it first? If not even better, since you can verify. Remove #1 spark plug and hold your finger on the hole while you crank and feel that it pushes air on the compression stroke several times. Stop at TDC on a compression stroke. You will need to rotate the engine by hand, which you can do by just tugging on the alternator belt with both hands (unless a really new engine), and don't do this with the key in the ignition. Now install so the rotor points at #1. It takes a few tries since the gear teeth are slanted so the rotor spins as it goes in. You don't want to be off a tooth, or your "spark phasing" will be off (not good).

If none of the above, wait for SlantSixDan to stumble on this and fix it in a few sentences, or post on slantsix.org and tell them you are thinking of changing to a small block. If you don't understand any of the terms or procedures above, search FABO and wikipedia.

Finally, once you resolve the problem, post the result here for everyone. Don't be a selfish little gamer like my 2 grown boys. We all like to help, but we will shun you forever if you don't reciprocate.

I finally have a day off of work! After this well deserved cup of coffee Im headed outside to sort this whole thing out. I'll make sure to let you guys know the outcome this evening.

I also wanted to say thanks to everyone for their advice and well wishes..without you all I'd still be stuck! If there is ever anything I can do to help you out, I'll be here:salut:

...stay tuned

CAUTION !!
If you have flooded it several times in excess you may have dumped a lot of gas in the oil pan. This can be interesting to say the least if the pan is full of gas. Could result in the "Big Bang Theory". Check it as a precaution.
Small Block

Fuel, Spark, Air

-
Back