Need help on a V8 swap

-

Alex White

A Body Addict
Reaction score
I have a 1971 duster with a 225 slant 6 with a 904 and I want to put a 360 4 barrel with a 727 into it. I know the motor mounts aren't the same but do I have to change the k frame? because I have a k frame from a 1975 (where the 360 is currently) and im just curious if I can change the mounts or if I have to swap the whole k frame. thanks :)

You don't have to change the frame, but it will cost you a chunk of change to get conversion mounts, depending on if you have biscuit or spool mounts, since you have the 73+ K member, might as well use it, the spool mounts are far superior to the older ones.

Summit sells conversion mounts, as well as a few others, schumacher creative services comes to mind, or you can roll your own, like I just got done doing this week.

so your thinking the best way for me to go is just change the k frame since I already have one in good shape that is attached to the 360? thanks Alex

yes-- you have the parts-- swap the k's & suspension parts from the 75 -- to the other car--- done-- refurbish the 75 parts & you will have a good ride.

just helped a guy do similar to a 75 duster.

Lawrence

greatly appreciated guys. I'm going to take the power steering and brakes from the 75 as I don't have power in my 71 so I'm curious if the bolt pattern on the front spindles of the 75 will be different than the rear on my 71 maybe ill have to change the rear too, ill have to measure once that damn snow leaves :(

greatly appreciated guys. I'm going to take the power steering and brakes from the 75 as I don't have power in my 71 so I'm curious if the bolt pattern on the front spindles of the 75 will be different than the rear on my 71 maybe ill have to change the rear too, ill have to measure once that damn snow leaves :(

If the 75 has disc brakes from the factory it will be big bolt. You most likely will also have an 8 1/4 rearend in the 360 car.

Welcome Alex.....I saw your welcome thread :D.

I have a question about the parts car. Is it a original "L" code Duster?

If so, that's a pretty rare car and if it's complete and in any type of repairable shape, it could be pretty valuable.

Welcome Alex.....I saw your welcome thread :D.

I have a question about the parts car. Is it a original "L" code Duster?

If so, that's a pretty rare car and if it's complete and in any type of repairable shape, it could be pretty valuable.[/QUOT

I wish it was an L code haha, no its a G code car factory 318. the engine is a real 1974 360 4 barrel tho

All A bodys from 1973 up from the factory had large bolt patttern six or V8 didnt matter. 72 and older all A bodys from the factory had small bolt pattern six or V8 didnt matter. If you have the bbp setup in something 72 and older then somebody somewhere along the line swapped it. Being these cars are over 30 and 40 years old anything could be done to them by now.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=206746&highlight=duster+swap

this is the 75 duster-- swapped the slant for a v-8 k, really not too bad, found some issues with the slant k-- strut rod had destroyed the front mount(no bushing).

best thing is to have a plan for your swap then make it happen...

since you have the parts car-- remove those parts-- refurbish them as needed-- then swap them to your ride -- done.

much easier to swap in ready to go parts!! Lawrence

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=206746&highlight=duster+swap

this is the 75 duster-- swapped the slant for a v-8 k, really not too bad, found some issues with the slant k-- strut rod had destroyed the front mount(no bushing).

best thing is to have a plan for your swap then make it happen...

since you have the parts car-- remove those parts-- refurbish them as needed-- then swap them to your ride -- done.

much easier to swap in ready to go parts!! Lawrence

thanks! your resto looks like its going great! THANKS for the info, I leave to head out of town for work soon so im hoping once im home ill have time to get that 360 into the car and get her on the road

Figured BBP and discs were standard from 73.up. Didnt know they were still doing front drums and SBP wheels in 73. Mebbe they were trying to use up leftover stuff from the 72 year model run.

don't figure that either, the 73 up sbp stuff is different than the 72- down stuff, different backing plates/bearings, shoes etc.. this is for the 10" brakes-- I had a pair of 10" drums that I scrapped -- couldn't use or sell, Lawrence

-
Back