Need info on 72 A body bucket seats

-

SuperStock426

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I recently acquired a set of 72 A body bucket seats from Tony's parts..I've been looking for a set of 71's to put in my 71 Demon but are difficult to find..The 72's need upholstery and some foam reinforcing..Apparently they don't make new foam for 72 seats so I was wondering if 71 foam and upholstery would work on the 72 seat frames?..Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_20200520_192925_01~2.jpg

The 72 up foam is different, it deletes the 1971 back spring basket so it is extra thick to fill the void.

The 72 up foam is different, it deletes the 1971 back spring basket so it is extra thick to fill the void.
Thanks for the info..But would new foam and upholstery for 71 seats fit the 72 frames?

Yeas, but the back foam would have no support due to no spring basket.

I may still have a late 1971 set of seat frames out in the shop but I would have to look to be sure.

1972 up sets do not go for much, but the 1971 sets are typically not easy to find.

I may still have a late 1971 set of seat frames out in the shop but I would have to look to be sure.

1972 up sets do not go for much, but the 1971 sets are typically not easy to find.

Are these '72's? Here's a set I got from a '72 Demon. I thought mine were original?

View attachment 1715532271
You can compare them to the set I have that are 72's..They look alike to me.

Last edited:

I can rework the 72's to put in my Demon but I'll have to re-use my old foam as I can't find new foam for 72 buckets.

IMG_20200520_210808_01.jpg

IMG_20200520_210820_01.jpg

IMG_20200520_210815_01.jpg

A good auto upholster could probably cut foam to fit! The 72 A body seats shown in the first picture do not have the chrome inserts.

A good auto upholster could probably cut foam to fit! The 72 A body seats shown in the first picture do not have the chrome inserts.
I wish there was a way to put the 71 foam and upholstery on the 72's but as Alaskan_TA said there would be no support for the back.

I was also going to say a good upholstry guy can shape and patch in foam to repair your existing bunn.

I was also going to say a good upholstry guy can shape and patch in foam to repair your existing bunn.
That's probably what I'll do..Get my upholstery guy to reinforce the foam where it's needed and order a pair of plain Jane seat upholstery without the chrome inserts..Theyre going in my Demon which is a race/street car..As long as they look decent I'll be satisfied.

The 1972 up foam has steel supports molded into it, so it is not just a matter of adding foam.

The 1972 up foam has steel supports molded into it, so it is not just a matter of adding foam.[/
The 1972 up foam has steel supports molded into it, so it is not just a matter of adding foam.
I'm going with 72 covers Alaskan_TA..Like you said, the 71 covers won't work..As long as they look decent I'll be satisfied..

I believe the seats I have are 71 B body bucket seats on A body tracks..I looked and looked for seat covers that are the same pattern on the seats I bought..I remembered that the seats I had in my 71 Road Runner looked like the ones I just bought..I'll post pics and see what you think???

Screenshot_20200521-202301.png

I don't think these are 72 seats. Maybe of another body but that's above my paygrade. Any of these bucket seats are getting hard to find. You can make anything work but it's up to so far as what you are looking for....

Not sure of the last time I saw a set of 71's for sale... That's a tough one for sure...

JW

I don't think these are 72 seats. Maybe of another body but that's above my paygrade. Any of these bucket seats are getting hard to find. You can make anything work but it's up to so far as what you are looking for....

Not sure of the last time I saw a set of 71's for sale... That's a tough one for sure...

JW
I compared the ragged ones I bought to 71 B body buckets and they're identical..The seat tracks on them fit in my Demon..So I'd speculate that someone got ahold of some 71 B body buckets and bolted them to their A body seat tracks and put them in their 72 Duster..Theyll still look good in my car.

The bucket frames are the same in any given time period for A, B and E bodies.

The upholstery and foam varies by application and trim grade.

Tracks too of course, different for A, B and E.

1970 and early 1971 have the separate hinge covers with longer release buttons.

-
Back