Need Input. I want to Omit the Power Booster, and run Non-Power Disc Brakes.

-
No it's not.
Hello Prine, not sure of your real name but I did this exact thing on my 69 Dart. I took the booster off and got a master cylinder for a 69 Dart with disc brakes from the local auto parts (same size resivours) and bolted it right to the firewall. If I remember right I took the pushrod from a 68 Coronet with manual brakes and that worked fine, it was a touch longer than the one I had. I run the bigger discs on front with the big bolt pattern and 11" drums out back and have no problem pulling the car to a stop after a 12 sec run at 106 with manual discs. By the way my 74 Challenger is a factory manual disc brake car.

Is there an aftermarket part # for the push rod? I'm doing the same thing right now. Do i need to search the scrap yards or can i buy one new?

Kelly, Have you come to a conclusion on which master cylinder to use?? I think mine is toast so I'm in the same boat as you. The auto zone site shows the one for manual disc/drum has a 1 1/32 bore size, i've seen several people on other threads complain that any M/C with a bore size over 1'' gives a 'too hard' feel. they say to stay under 1''. The one for power disc/drum shows a 15/16'' bore. so.... does that mean you should use the M/C you have already? what are your thoughts on it??

i just put a late model mater cyl on from Dr Diff,but i am having prblems getting the system bled. i am front disk/rear drum now going to 4 wheel disk eventually.

Good info guys, I am looking at doing the same thing. My car came factory drums all around, and I bought a kh sbp setup for the front. I have a 68 pwr drum booster and was wondering if it was going to work. I was told that it would. But from what a lot of guys have said here, it seems like the manual discs seem to be working just fine.

If anyone can chime in with part numbers that is always appreciated! I want to do this also, My booster is dead. All Disc. Thanks Much!

Car in Question: 1974 Plymouth Duster 360/727/8.25, PS, PB.

Well, I finally broke down and bought a Power Disc Brake Master Cylinder, and I have a Manual Drum pushrod...so we'll see what happens.

Carquest Part Number 20-1571 "Master Cylinder" , I think it was like $25 bucks or so.....and I was surprised it came with the metal lid...I have seen some M/C's that dont come with a lid.

I have a few flexible brake lines to replace before I install it and bleed the system...but we'll see here pretty soon.

-
Back