Need new steering gear box

-

68brcuda

Reaction score
I have lots of play in steering, have been advised to get a new one. Want to stay in the 400.00 range for one. Adjustments on the present one have been done, time for new. Who would you advise me to buy from, I have power steering. Fits a 68 barracuda...TIA..

Currently $660 for a modern upgrade from Borgeson, $750 and up to get your original rebuilt or upgraded by Firm Feel or Steer&Gear. Parts store replacements are dubious at best.
Quality costs a bit more than your $400 starting point.

Well, don't do what I did. About 15 years ago, I bought an A-1 Cardone rebuilt PS box from Advance Auto. My steering was a bit sloppy, so I thought that would fix it. I noticed virtually no difference, and the box is a BIG pain to R&R with headers. I have since heard that many rebuilding companies like A-1 Cardone only replace what is really bad. Then they clean it up and put it back together with new gaskets. I don't know if that is true or not, but the money I spent was a waste.

I had Steer and Gear upgrade my 65 box to modern specs. They also did my OEM pump as well. Dropped it off at Carlisle picked up at the Nationals to save a ton on shipping both ways. About ready to install both

I love my Firm Feel Stage 3 but if you have the same slop it may not be the box. The steering coupler on the column can become worn and sloppy. You can buy all new stuff to rebuild it but the word headers might entice someone to look to an aftermarket universal joint, preferably with a slider.

-
Back