Need some advice on a possible purchase

-

gtmopar

Phuckin A!
Reaction score
So a member posted a link to a 65 barracuda for sale in close to where I live. So I made contact with the guy and went to take a look. When I get there I pull up to this big old werehouse and got inside. There had to have been 35 classic cars left by a recently deceased man to his wife. So after wiping the drool off my mouth I went to take a look around. So I go to check out the Cuda and unfortunately the body was really hammered and not really worth the money to restore and sell. So as I look over in the corner past all the 58-59 fury's and there is a real nice 70 burnt orange Charger 440. This car had some body damage to the quarters but all there and in really good shape. The motor looked like it had been locked in time with all the stickers etc in perfect shape. The interior was in bad shape but could be fixed no problem. The car had 43,000 original miles and had the original paint. The guy is asking 13,000 firm which I think is strong for the amount of work that the car needs but I want it bad. What do you guys think is a fair price? There is next to no rust. The car is a 440 bench seat Dana rear auto. Everything is there like I said. He also has a 68 R/T charger that he's asking 17 for but it still needs a lot of work. It's a plum crazy auto with white interior and white vinyl top. There are a ton of old Chrysler new yorker conv and Fury's. Not up on Chargers but I know they fetch good money restored. If other members are looking for something let me know and I can see.

You might want to take pictures and post them, that way if some of them sell with your help you might get some knocked off the price of what you want to buy.

There are 30+ cars and he's 3 hours away from me. I'm trying to work a deal on the charger or at least see if it's worth the cash. I offered him 10 and he's stewing on it. I understand where you are coming from but you know like I do that people say " oh yea I want that one consider it sold", and never follow through. Last thing I want to do is irritate the guy selling the cars and for him to tell me to take a hike. We shall see.

I am a 68-70 B-Body guy and I thought all Chargers came with Bucket seats standard ???

also a plum crazy 68 R/T ??? plum crazy was not available until 1970 as FC7 so someone purple bombed a 68

Yo bro! What they said. What do you want? A car you can restore that is "number" or a car you can build like YOU want. That sir will dictate the value. I like the purple r/t. But is it a true r/t? How about this... What car do you know best? If you know first gen A barracudas. There's your answer.

Aloha and GOOD LUCK!

personally i think anything above ten grand and you should be driving it home....unless its a Hemi superbird......but really amongst what you listed ........uuuummmmm no ....there are a lot of chargers in existance and ten grand is a lot of money ....i mean really thats a lot ......if you wanted a charger i would shop around ....those are prolly nice cars.......but like i said theres a lot of them in the world to choose from ......i have had a couple 68 chargers before and they were too big of cars for me but i am only 4' 10" and i didnt realize the car line was not for me untill after i had money into them....so the point is that if your going plink down over ten grand you should be able to drive it and be dang sure its what you want and more.

the closest i ever came to that was my first car a U-code 70 cuda ....$8500. running driving driving car with worn interior and shot paint job ......but if i had not been able to drive it and really sniff it out, so to say ...no way ....$8500. in hundred dollar bills was awefully hard to hand over...LOL

and like said above ...you have to ask yourself "what am i going to do with this car should i marry it and its at my house". only you can answer that one LOL ....either way check numbers ask questions and be careful and best wishes

68-70 chargers bring a lot of money. with out pictures its really hard to tell.. i've seen chargers with no drive line and needing everything going for 5+ thousand dollars. 440, dana is a desirable combo.. only 43,000 miles is a plus. no rust is a huge plus. but like i said with no pictures its really hard to tell.

I agree with Joe, the guy aint far off on his price of the Charger. But it sounds like you want to buy one to restore, then sell and make some profit. There aint a lotta money to be made in them unless you can do all the work yourself, as well as getting it damned cheap. The charger is worth the $$ hands down. If you cant do all the restoring yourself and you have to get a shop to do it, they will see the car and think this guy has $$ cuz its a charger and they may charge you an arm/leg or any other appendage you are willing to cut off! Just my opinion, good luck

I would have to agree. Especially with the mileage being so low. If everything is as you describe and your intentions are an investment... May be worth a shot at it. The smart thing to do would be to get it for as little as possible. Spend the time to do a quality resto and wait for the market to go back up. in an up time a low mile 440 dana charger brings a mint.

I do all the restorations myself so that's not an issue. Just got back from a car show and talked to a guy there with a Hemi Charger and he decoded the car and this is what it came back. Bench seat column shift super track pack a/c car. The real deal. I bought the car this morning and sold it sight unseen for 20. I offered the guy 11 and he took it. Not bad for a days work if I do say so myself. Sometimes you just have to take a chance in life and sometimes you win and sometimes you loose. Today was my day. The other car is a honest R/T car which I'm probably going to get as well.

I do all the restorations myself so that's not an issue. Just got back from a car show and talked to a guy there with a Hemi Charger and he decoded the car and this is what it came back. Bench seat column shift super track pack a/c car. The real deal. I bought the car this morning and sold it sight unseen for 20. I offered the guy 11 and he took it. Not bad for a days work if I do say so myself. Sometimes you just have to take a chance in life and sometimes you win and sometimes you loose. Today was my day. The other car is a honest R/T car which I'm probably going to get as well.

Post up some pictures of it so we can see what it looked like.

Will do, the battery in my camera just took a chit so gotta go pick a new one up then I'll post them. It was hard letting it go. It looked so cool with the poverty caps on the steel wheels. I'm going to work on the R/T and I thought Purple wasn't available also so I have to decode that one.

68-70 Chargers are high and R/T's are even more.No rust,440,Dana,is a huge plus.Is it numbers matching?Does the motor run or atleast turn over?Is there a fender tag?The body is nice, how bad is the paint?By the sound of it He may not be to far off in price.If it is rustfree,numbers matching, and feel you can get it running, and on the road in a few weekends it is probably worth it.The bench seat is optional by the way.Pictures would help.

Will do, the battery in my camera just took a chit so gotta go pick a new one up then I'll post them. It was hard letting it go. It looked so cool with the poverty caps on the steel wheels. I'm going to work on the R/T and I thought Purple wasn't available also so I have to decode that one.

Just remember there are no HIGH IMPACT colors for 68 or 69. The 69 1/2 cars have some brighter and odd colors but not high impact. The 70-71 cars had those only.

I also think the motor code on the 68 car might not be U code if its a 440. I don't have my books in front of me or I could tell you.

Also guys shouldnt all charger R/Ts be XS from 68-70? Check hidden vin numbers too that is a lot of money.

-
Back