Need Some Input

-

Eazyrider805

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have been doing a bit of research and am still undecided of what to do. I am currently looking for a small block engine. Want to go 360 LA or Magnum. Surprisingly where I'm at its slim pickings from the scrap yards and if they do have a motor its got 120k and they want 700 bucks for it. Also I have a hard time paying for something that doesn't come with a warranty. Especially if I can only take the guys word for it after he gives me a jack-o'-lantern smile. So I figured I could look online and find an engine already assembled. Started searching....and searching....and searching and everything is either for a Chevy or Ford or the price is outrageous like 5k for an engine. I do have a mechanical background mostly with motorcycles so I do have some of the tools to assemble an engine. Possibly thinking about getting a short block and building from there. I have a 318 that I can use parts from so that could save some money if I am convinced I should build a short block. My budget is about 2500 and this motor will be going into my 72 dodge dart. Car is for street use only weekend driver. Any one with any leads or suggestions let me know what you think.

You can get a rebuilt long block from Autozone for ~ $1800 plus core. Replace the stock cam with a mild performance cam and springs and have a nice little street engine. Some on here will not agree with this option, but i've been happy with the one I put in my Dart.

That's a really small budget......Ima thinkin that teener you got is gonna hafta get by with a rering and valve job

edit
In Manitoba,where I live,thats a really small budget

Last edited:
Dude, your in Cali, there are tons of 5.9 magnums there for $500 complete. You can pick up whole vehicle on CL with trans, wire harness and pcm for cheap. If you already have a v8 then its easy to swap. pass on the yards and look on CL for whole vehicle. Check out our site and look at the FAQ section for more info. look as magnumswap.com for info on non injected swap or us for injected. We have parts for both and make deals to FABO guys. Evan magnummopar.

That is high.... 700 bucks. My area is about half that. Anyways, if you got a good running 360 mag, you probably don't need to rebuild the short block. I'd put your 318 timing cover on it, and a cam that has the fuel pump eccentric for mechanical fuel pump, intake and carb, you should have money left over. Don't let 120,000-150,000 miles scare ya. If you can hear it run, and it holds good oil pressure and the heat gauge is steady, your probably in good shape. Can always do a compression check....

The new F.I. Magnum engines are remarkably clean inside even with over a 100K miles. As said, a compression check should be done.

The AutoZone option should have a warranty with it. And that makes it a decent idea to consider. For the kind of driving duties you describe, the engine sounds dead on.

Thanks for the replies guys I appreciate it. The 360 magnum seems to be the better option if its in running condition. Due to the fact that it comes from the factory with some upgraded parts that has been appealing to me all along. There is a scrap yard down south that I am going to hit up again today and see if I can hear the motor run and make a final decision. MagnumMopar your right there are tons of magnum 5.9's but being between LA and SF that limits options (gas aint cheap) also low price great deal here = $500 paper weight. I wish I had the room for a whole other vehicle so I could pull the motor and junk the car. But no trailer and no space. Search continues will post any finds if I find something.

Ok well I bit the bullet. Called down south and drove an hour to see a 1996 Dodge Durango with 135K on the clock. Coolant looked good, oil looked clean, had to jerry rig the ignition but she fired up and sounded good. No knocking, no belt squeal, no white smoke. Engine was cold when we started it so I let it run tell it hit running temp and revved the engine to see if there was any noises. Nothing, all in all the motor seemed to be running well. Oil pressure and temp gauge were within normal operating ranges, Pulled Valve covers and it looked fairly clean. Paid 648 bucks for it. Guy is going to pull it tomorrow. People are funny guy asks me if I want a receipt I say yes I would. Guy says oh well then I will have to charge you taxes gonna be another 48 bucks you sure you want it if you don't take a receipt I will only charge 600. I said so let me get this straight you want me to hand you cash and I am supposed to just thank you and walk away with nothing? I said here is the 48 bucks I would like a receipt. He must have thought I had a tattoo on my forehead saying dumb ***.

What a shame. You always get one here and if you don't, there normally "A Goodfella" anyway so there is no worry.
Indeed a strange way of doing his!
Just the pain of a swap. If it works at the yard, it'll work at home.

Thanks guys I will definitely hit you up magnummopar gonna get her home and see what needs to be done then I'm sure I will have a list of stuff. j par I know right, advice would be a better term lol. Some are included the alternator, pulleys, balancer, flex plate, ect. I will post some pictures when I get it home and then the fun begins.

Well I believe you're right and what you did and that's what I would have suggested because it's what I've done plenty of times and that's driving an hour or two to get parts or such. My wife actually drove three and a half hours each way to get my for Speed it was the only deal. So don't think you are an exception here I can't think of too many people on the forum that haven't drove a good way to get the good part. Good luck ....

Well the good news guys is I got the motor. Picked it up yesterday and having been working on it throughout the day and early this morning. Started pulling stuff and tossing the junk and saving the rest. Pulled driver side valve cover off nice and clean oil was not too dirty and looked great. Pulled the passenger side valve cover and this is were my fears became reality. Broken rocker arm and a missing push rod! I couldn't believe it and the more I started to think about it I started to realize that it made perfect sense. I am kicking myself now because I new I should have asked to pull the valve cover. The motor sounded great no ticks, no rattles, sounded just like anything else. I even pushed the throttle to rev it and nothing unusual. Man I can not cut a break. Oh well live and learn I am just gonna stay positive and do the motor right no cutting corners. I did find the push rod it was hiding under the intake. I will post pictures in a little bit.

It is probably just a fatigued part.

Well the good news guys is I got the motor. Picked it up yesterday and having been working on it throughout the day and early this morning. Started pulling stuff and tossing the junk and saving the rest. Pulled driver side valve cover off nice and clean oil was not too dirty and looked great. Pulled the passenger side valve cover and this is were my fears became reality. Broken rocker arm and a missing push rod! I couldn't believe it and the more I started to think about it I started to realize that it made perfect sense. I am kicking myself now because I new I should have asked to pull the valve cover. The motor sounded great no ticks, no rattles, sounded just like anything else. I even pushed the throttle to rev it and nothing unusual. Man I can not cut a break. Oh well live and learn I am just gonna stay positive and do the motor right no cutting corners. I did find the push rod it was hiding under the intake. I will post pictures in a little bit.

thought you pulled the covers when you looked at it ? either way that sucks

Ok well I bit the bullet. Called down south and drove an hour to see a 1996 Dodge Durango with 135K on the clock. Coolant looked good, oil looked clean, had to jerry rig the ignition but she fired up and sounded good. No knocking, no belt squeal, no white smoke. Engine was cold when we started it so I let it run tell it hit running temp and revved the engine to see if there was any noises. Nothing, all in all the motor seemed to be running well. Oil pressure and temp gauge were within normal operating ranges, Pulled Valve covers and it looked fairly clean. Paid 648 bucks for it. Guy is going to pull it tomorrow. People are funny guy asks me if I want a receipt I say yes I would. Guy says oh well then I will have to charge you taxes gonna be another 48 bucks you sure you want it if you don't take a receipt I will only charge 600. I said so let me get this straight you want me to hand you cash and I am supposed to just thank you and walk away with nothing? I said here is the 48 bucks I would like a receipt. He must have thought I had a tattoo on my forehead saying dumb ***.

Your absolutely right 1970-dart I did pull the valve covers off the engine and it was good. I forgot to mention that the engine I originally went to look at was supposed to be ready the next day. Well supposedly one of the guys in the shop had a better engine with less miles on it Dodge Ram 1500 with 110k. So I asked if it was running and he stated that it was and asked if I wanted that one instead. I said sure and put my faith in the guy and this is what I got.

IMG_0122.JPG

IMG_0123 (1).JPG

IMG_0124.JPG

Here are some pictures of the cam bearings. Full rebuild here we come.

IMG_0125.JPG

IMG_0126.JPG

So you know that rec't you got? This is why you got it. BTW mention you might be contacting the state treasury department about his no sales tax policy and watch the best engine he has come your way.

When they mentioned it had 110K on it, did they bother to tell you it was from running Baja 1000 11 times? I would ask for my money back along with some form of compensation for time/fuel or ....let the games begin.

You all make good points. I will take it over and show them the beauty of a motor they sold me. I expected some wear but come on. I have a feeling that I'm going to go round and round with this guy. I will keep you up dated.

-
Back