NEGATIVE

-

74 360 dart sport

Reaction score
New Battery ground wire top post mine has the original wire from 1974 Dodge Dart sport 360. it is in bad shape. it has the 2 wires what gauge should I get or is there a good source on here.

No understand

The main cable was likely no4, it does not hurt to upgrade the gauge, but good looking finding them in current so called parts stores. I would for SURE upgrade the battery to body ground, but you can actually do that from the block to the body. Use a Ford style "eye to eye" starter cable.

On V8's look at the front of the pass side head. Those same holes are on the rear of the driver's head. You can put a short bolt in, with the cable, and then ground the starter cable to the body. 1 ft, or 18" and sometimes the studs for the master work OK.

Probably one of the best sources these days would be a welding supply store.....they still use fine wire HD cables.

Tractor Supply carries that also, along with the solder on lugs.
The smaller black cable goes to the radiator support.

IMG_5176.png

IMG_5160.jpeg

I bought a Painless wiring kit from summit. About $100, 1 gauge wires. Car starts pretty good now! They are trim to fit but it's not hard to do.

I also use fine stranded copper cable (not copper plated like some sell) and solder copper lugs, but with a side post battery and standard hardware. Lugs held like a cup in vice by flat end, heated with small torch to fill the cups to about 3/4 full, then put the cable in and finish soldering and hold the cable still while the solder cools to prevent a "cold joint". Batt bolts are bottomed in the battery, then the nut is rotated down to tighten the cable eye down.

diy batt cables.JPG

I build them as well. Don't look stock/oem. Whatever length you like using high strand 1/0 welding cable.

Last edited:
-
Back