Neighbor kid got bit...

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
...by our youngest poop shooter, Shelby. Ernie has asked him numerous times to not stick his hand thru the fence to pet the dogs. We have talked to his folks about it. Alex, his Dad, was stringing up wires for an electric fence, we went to bring the dogs in because the 4 of them were barking at him. That's when Cooper said Shelby bit him. His Mom was standing there, she told him to stop sniffling about something that happened last week. Ernie told them that she has potential to him several times. His folks said they have as well. His Dad told us that if he is stupid enough to stick hs hand thru the fence then he is stupid enough to get bit...told us not to worry about it...

sounds like his dad has some sense to him

I missed the age of the neighbor kid, hopefully he's still young enough to learn from it

Good that the dad is taking responsibility instead of trying to sue...

Sorry man, you have dogs that bite children, and 4 dogs who love to bark at the neighbors just for being out in their backyard? Sounds like you and your dogs are part of the problem.

sounds like his dad has some sense to him

I missed the age of the neighbor kid, hopefully he's still young enough to learn from it

Believe he is 10. These are the folks who shot another neighbors dog few years back. Some folks out here seem to think it is OK to just open the door and let their dogs roam. While back Alex asked me if I knew who owned a pup that looked like it had some Rottweiler, Pit, Doberman perhaps Golden Retriever in him. I did, as this dog was harassing me one day when I was trimming trees. This was one of the car chasers in our 'hood. He chased Kim from the highway right to the house...1.6 miles...would not let her out of the truck. Alexis came out with the 45 and solved the problem. At the time they didn't have any animals...but there 3 kids spend a lot of time in the yard...

Another neighbor had their dog get shot. Every time I would come home Bubba would run out in front of me...often times chase me right to my gates. Don't know how many times I called/messaged Charity about him. Went off on her more than once about a fence. All I heard was how they didn't need a fence, they were going on train him etc. One day she shows up at the gate, bowing her horn....yelling and screaming. Accused me of shooting him. Then accused all of the neighbors. They got another dog...this one disappeared.

Glad that our neighbors didn't make an issue out of this. When we were talking to them Darcy said that we put the fence up to keep people out...Cooper was in the wrong...

She also told us how one of the young goats got stuck in an area where theiron old fence was still standing near ours. They were trying to get it out and Azul was running towards them..Azul apparently bit the goat.

I do know that Azul and Mita have killed a few of their chickens and ducks. Have found feathers and pieces. Alex was laughing when I mentioned it. He said that Cooper was out trying to round them up one day...and he chased them right into our yard...

Push comes to shove...the fence is not even on the property line. When we put it up they had the remnants of a fence, it was on the property line. When we put it up we moved our fence in about 6" from the property line. Washington has some interesting laws. From what an attorney told me if a No Trespassing sign is posted, which it is, if someone were to get injured while they were on our property, uninvited, they have no recourse. Same goes for if someone were to get bit...if a Beware of Dog sign is posted, which it is, not much they can do about it.
From what the attorney told me even process servers are prohibited from entering a property with No Trespassing signs.

Just glad Cooper didn't get hurt. Just hope he learned his lesson. I know his sister hopped the fence one day several years ago. Red, one of our Coonhounds we had, seen her and went after her...he got her leg when she was going over the fence. She told Ernie she never do that again...

Sorry man, you have dogs that bite children, and 4 dogs who love to bark at the neighbors just for being out in their backyard? Sounds like you and your dogs are part of the problem.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, no reason to be sorry. I don't hide this from anybody..this is word for word what I told them the other day. I moved out here, put a fence up with locked gates for a reason. I don't like people. I don't "fit in". Was removed from the USPS for being a "hazard to self and others".

Do my dogs bark? Sure do. Do I care? Sure don't.
Sorry if no one agrees with me...we have dogs for several reasons. One of them is companionship. The other is to keep intruders from our property. Several of our neighbors have had their house broken into...have had things disappear from there yard. To date, we have not.

I have observed Cooper petting our dogs. He reaches in over there head. Which, according to the 5 different dog trainers we have spoken with is inviting trouble. Reaching in to pet a dog like this, one that doesn't know you, is asking for trouble.
Honestly I am surprised that it took this long for some one to say I am the problem. Just as honestly, couldn't care less what anyone has to say about me.
We have taken our dogs to town with us several times. Never a problem with nipping anybody.
When they are home in the yard they do become protective. Wouldn't have it any other way. What good is a dog that is not protective of its owner and their belongings.

Am I concerned that my dog bit someone? A bit. But knowing that the kid stuck his hand thru the fence lessens that concern. Knowing that the kid was told at least a dozen times to not stick his hand thru the fence, yet he did anyway, removes all concern.
This is not the first time I was told that I am part of "the problem".. Won't be the last as I have no intentions of changing...

Apologies for the length...

Been thinking about that whole me being the problem ramble I went on earlier. I do have a question...so this 10 year old kid...who was told not to pet our dogs numerous times by both Ernie and his parents...he gets bit and I am to blame? Hmmm.....weed must be pretty damn good in Colorado.

Few days ago someone dumped that pc line of crap on me...you ain't got nothing nice to say...I asked this individual since,when did telling the truth take a back seat to "warm and fuzzy"...still waiting for an answer...

What is important to me is that all parties involved in the kid getting bit see eye to eye. Which we do. Kid sticks his hand thru a femce....after he was warned several times that he may get bit....if anything my wife and I are fault free....we informed all 3 kids...and all 3 adults....that our pups are not socialized. What more does one want? Spare me the politically correct Bull crap please. I don't have the time nor the patience for it...

I apologize for my terrible typing...between the "smart phone" and the dumb operator....

Sounds like you have some good neighbors there. Hopefully, the little guy didn't get hurt and actually LEARNED something.

The kid REACHED THROUGH HIS FENCE.

That means the kid WAS ON his property. Period.

THAT my friend would hold up in a court of law.

It is a moot point since the parents, UNLIKE YOU "GET IT".

Not everyone in Colorado smokes pot. I certainly do not and never have. So you can stick that in your pipe and smoke it.
Back to the dogs, all I'm saying is that you have dogs that have killed chickens and ducks, and have now bitten a child. You can deny any responsibility all you want, but if the kid had been hurt, seriously or not and the parents decided to sue you, they would win. The no trespassing signs and beware of dog signs are not going to protect you.
I'm not trying to be a dick, but that's just the way things work these days. You are the owner, and yes you are responsible if your dog bites someone.

The kid REACHED THROUGH HIS FENCE.

That means the kid WAS ON his property. Period.

THAT my friend would hold up in a court of law.

It is a moot point since the parents, UNLIKE YOU "GET IT".

I'm finished, its like talking to brick wall. You sir do not get it.

I'm finished, its like talking to brick wall. You sir do not get it.

Look, I meant nothing personal. He has his dogs in a fence. That is all the law requires. If someone crosses that fence line, that's on them.

you stick a finger in my personal zone, I'm gonna take it off. is that clear enough.

Are you sure about that? I've heard otherwise from a close attorney friend of mine.

I KNOW from experience that is all that's required in Georgia. Is it not common sense? How can you possibly have legal grounds against someone if you are injured by basically trespassing? Doug said his fence is not on the line and is more on his property. That means the kid was on Doug's property BEFORE he was ever bitten.

I don't know how a lawsuit could hold up there. I think the parents knew that, too.

Robber sues homeowner and wins come to mind.

Dogs are "domesticated" animals. Your dog bites, you can get sued. If the dog has bitten before, you are screwed from a legal perspective regardless of the 10 year olds violation of your property lines.

Look up dog bite statutes in your state, it's pretty easy. They are NOT usually favorable to the dog owner.

Dog bites, sign warns of possible trouble with dog, owner has fence on his property, kid disregards warnings and fence and gets bit, not dogs fault, kids fault!! His parents are handling the problem correctly and maybe kid learns from the experience!!

Kinda like suing the stove maker when the kid gets burned for touching the stove when it's hot!! That's our justice system at work!!

In Oregon, if you put up a "beware of dog" sign and someone gets bit, the sign is used against the homeowner for admittingly knowing that the dog is prone to bite or is vicious. Puts the liability back on the dog owner.

So the 10 year old was "warned multiple times" ? Again, this points toward the dog owner as far as liability. And even if the kids parents and the dog owners are okay with the fact that the kid got bit, this does not mean that the courts would be okay with it. Consider how much worse it could have turned out if the kid was seriously mauled.

Up here where I am if you pet a dog without getting the owners consent and get bit, it's on you. I was at the beer store last summer, a guy comes in with a huge beautiful german shepherd. I say to him, what a beautiful dog, he says thanks and like an idiot I reach over to pet him and he attacks, went for my throat basically, I jumped back and he got me on my elbow that I had recoiled up by face. Nothing too bad, a bit of blood but not serious. I figured the guy should have said the dog's a nasty bit of work but I blamed myself. Was talking to one of the beer store clerks recently about the dog and apparently the same thing happened to someone else a little while ago and they called the cops. Cop said if you didn't ask to pet him tough titty, end of story.

Don't let the Kid suffer because of the parents stupidity. The kid will have plenty of opportunities later in life. Unfortunately "The Nut don't fall far from the tree" The parent shot another neighbors dog ! I wouldnt trust him.

Rusty - sorry to say on the point of reaching thru fence. You'd be incorrect. When stationed in Oklahoma a kid jumped a locked fence with signage of no trespass to get something out of my yard. I told him "NO". My dog bit him. In Oklahoma, (city anyway) you have to have your dog on a leash even in your own yard. They won in court.

Now as far as inkjunkie. I don't believe you when you say you don't care what others think - or you wouldn't even bother to post things here. You may be a bit demented in your thinking but your still putting it out there even if it's just to justify your negative brain to you and those around you. Also, not asking for fluff just, alter the words you choose and get to the same point. Example: Read my opening statement to Rusty. Now read this.

Rusty your frecken wrong about reaching thru a fence and you don't know what you're talking about. It some states your required to have your damn dog on a leash no matter what.

Which one is more likely to shut Rusty down or piss him off and ruin a perfectly good conversation. I didn't change as a person or try to blow smoke up his ***. ( I hear that tickles) I just choose to - what is it - try not to throw barriers up to effective communications. If I want to be a prick, or coarse I can but then I'm not really trying to "talk/learn" from anyone am I. I'm just trying to bully my way thru life and justify it by saying I don't care and you mean nothing.

Last edited:
-
Back