New 1964 Dodge Dart GT Owner

-

cchrishefish

Reaction score
I have owned my 64 GT for 8 months now, and I have done a lot of work to it. I am considering some future upgrades and I would like some suggestions on obtaining the right parts for a man on a budget.

My first upgrade would be converting my 225 slant 6 to power steering the car is a bear to steer at a dead stop. What parts do I need to do this?

My longer goal would be to convert to disc brakes, my one concern is keeping the 5x4 inch small bolt pattern in order to go on to my much longer goal of replacing the rearend with an 8 3/4. Can the bolt pattern be maintained on all 4 wheels? And will a set of 1971 small bolt rallye wheels fit now and after my upgrades?

Aside from the obvious, power steering box, pump, brackets and hoses, the coupler that goes from the colum to the steering box might be a little different from manual to power. Contact Steer and Gear and ask thier tech guys about that. The components can come from any A-body as far as I know, but I'm no expert either. As for the brakes, Magnumforce, SSBC, Master Power Brakes and possibly some others sell kits that are compatable with your drum brake spindles, I don't know for sure if they are small bolt pattern or not. Sometimes the aftermarket rotors are drilled to accept either bolt pattern. Call them or check them out on line. Good luck with your project, please post pics.8)

I have owned my 64 GT for 8 months now, and I have done a lot of work to it. I am considering some future upgrades and I would like some suggestions on obtaining the right parts for a man on a budget.

My first upgrade would be converting my 225 slant 6 to power steering the car is a bear to steer at a dead stop. What parts do I need to do this?

You will need a PS gear box, the PS pumps and associated brackets for the slant 6, pressure and return hose and either a PS column or a PS center shaft to install in your column. I believe the coupler is different from manual to PS also. This stuff ought to be relatively easy and inexpensive to find (or trade) as the trend is to swap to manual steering.

My longer goal would be to convert to disc brakes, my one concern is keeping the 5x4 inch small bolt pattern in order to go on to my much longer goal of replacing the rearend with an 8 3/4. Can the bolt pattern be maintained on all 4 wheels? And will a set of 1971 small bolt rallye wheels fit now and after my upgrades?

Since all A Body 8 3/4s had small bolt axles, converting to the 66-72 Kelsey Hayes 4 piston disc brakes would allow you to keep the SBP wheels. 71 Rallye wheels should fit. There are aftermarket front disc kits that allow you to keep the SBP.

Hope this is some help to you. If I've missed anything, I'm sure others will add to the info.

I can sell you the power steering gear coupler and floor shift or pushbutton shift column from the car I am picking up this coming weekend. However I dont have the slant hoses or pump with brackets.

I would like to purchase the steering gear. I am sure I could get the brackets from someone. And, more than likely the pump and hoses are available new, minus the pump filler cap.

Iwill trade power for your manual steering box

What car would your power steering come from, and do you have the rest of the items, pump, brackets, hoses etc, that would bolt onto the 225 slant 6? Also what is the in thing about manual steering that seems to be going around? This car is a chore to steer and prevents me from placing wide tires on the front.

I have a pump, hoses, box and column out of my 63 GT. Your only a few hours away from me, you could drive down and pick it up cheap!

What car would your power steering come from, and do you have the rest of the items, pump, brackets, hoses etc, that would bolt onto the 225 slant 6? Also what is the in thing about manual steering that seems to be going around? This car is a chore to steer and prevents me from placing wide tires on the front.
It's out of a 64 dart gt I'm setting the car up for drags and don't need the power steering it is complete

Was fast ratio steering an option on a 64 Dart? How many turns from lock to lock?

Trying to post some requested pics, hope you like!

003.jpg

004.jpg

008.jpg

I used to have one [64 dart gt] same color and all. I put power steering and power brakes on it from a 74 dart sport. I swaped out the rear too so all the wheels matched. I switched to large bolt. Used 14 inch wheels and tires. If you dont mind the 8 1/4 rear, they come with large bolt pattern and are also very tough rears. My buds got one behind a stout 360 in his 72 dart. I under stand the desire to have the 8 3/4 though.

what is the in thing about manual steering that seems to be going around? This car is a chore to steer and prevents me from placing wide tires on the front.

Can't beat the simplicity & weight savings you get with manual steering. I prefer it to power steering. The key is to only steer while the car is in motion. If you're trying to turn the car is at a standstill you will find it difficult, this really shouldn't be done with PS either as it's very hard on the tires. I also drive a big block B-body without PS & wide radials with no problem. Very nice dart BTW!

I am starting to reconsider the conversion to power. I live on a busy road and the traffic can be a nightmare to merge into especially since most will not obey the 30 mph zone.

I'm curious why you want to maintain the small bolt pattern, it is easier to get all the big bolt pattern stuff, and if you are going with Rallies they're easier to get in big bolt pattern.
either way I converted mine to discs with Rallies and just recently decided to move to hubcaps. here is a photo or two of my Dart
IMG_0276X.jpg

P1020424.jpg

I did not know that the large bolt was easier to obtain. I am in the process of painting a set of sandblasted 71 Scamp 14 inch dog dish wheels. I am planning on running the trim rings with chrome lugs, chrome stems, and a chrome bearing cap. However, I love the look of your hubcaps. Will those caps fit on my rims, and what car did those caps come from? And, are they pricey?

Thanks for the compliment, I have new seat covers from legendary interiors, I am considering posting my step by step install pics in the next few weeks.

Nice ride you got there although my opinion might be a little bias. Nice to finally see some pictures. Jayson

Very nice 64 you have. I noticed that you have no antenna hole or antenna on the fender. Is that a option on these cars? I'm thinking of getting rid of mine and filling it in before the next paint project. Just looks alot cleaner. Again VERY nice dart:)

This is a radio delete car, I have been told this makes it more rare, but I am skeptical whether or not it is more valuable than a radio car.

I did not know that the large bolt was easier to obtain. I am in the process of painting a set of sandblasted 71 Scamp 14 inch dog dish wheels. I am planning on running the trim rings with chrome lugs, chrome stems, and a chrome bearing cap. However, I love the look of your hubcaps. Will those caps fit on my rims, and what car did those caps come from? And, are they pricey?
the discs to use are the ones off a '73 Duster etc. when you get the rear end you can easily get A-Body big bolt pattern axles, if you play it right you should be able to sell or trade the small axles for a set.
I also converted my car to a double master cylinder, definitely worth the time and effort. gather all the parts before you start if that's your only car.
the hubcaps I have on my car are off a '66 Charger and take a deep wheel, small bolt pattern Formula "S" wheels will handle them but not much else will. go to hubcaps.com and look around and see if there are any you like and go look for a set. the Charger caps go for around $100.00 a set on ebay.

This car is a chore to steer and prevents me from placing wide tires on the front.
Way back in high school I drove an old Studebaker with manual steering. It was a fairly small car but had the V8, which is a much heavier engine than the slant six. It was also very hard to steer.
Couldn't figure out how so many old ladies in town could drive their big Buicks, etc. every day when their cars didn't have power steering either.
I found out after doing a lube job on the front end. The difference was like night and day. As long as the car wasn't sitting completely still, I could steer it with very little effort. It wasn't like having power steering, but man what a difference.

If your Dart hasn't had a complete lube job recently, give it a try and see if that helps. It should make it easier to drive and would improve more than just the steering effort. That was another part of regular maintenance that modern cars don't need, and is easy to forget about.

My 22 month old goes nuts over my 64 gt, it is extremely funny. When he see this car he does not want anything to do with his toys, swingset, etc.

-
Back