NEW 340 manifolds at a reasonable price

-
*Reluctantly raises hand*<--------My convertible Cuda runs cheapos. :(
That is like a crime against humanity there. As nice as the Cuda is, go put some Doug's or TTi headers on that thing!

yup my tti sit nice and high...

DSC02553-1.jpg

nice and easy to get to all the plugs too..:)

DSC02539.jpg

DSC02542.jpg

whats up with your valve covers? they appear to be a different shade of orange then the engine, or is that primer?

whats up with your valve covers? they appear to be a different shade of orange then the engine, or is that primer?

they were just old beat up ones i had laying around that i used to paint the engine itself. i used them for the install also so i didn't chip the good ones..

i was using these black ones..

5-17-05002.jpg

DSC06178.jpg

later changed to orange ones that were good and not bent all to hell..

DSC09924.jpg

That is like a crime against humanity there. As nice as the Cuda is, go put some Doug's or TTi headers on that thing!

Yeah, true.....but I bought them over 10 years ago when finances were a little "tighter". Wanna hear something pathetic? When they were new, I took them outta the box and sent them in to get nickel plated. ($50) Then, when it was time to install them, they were flawed so that one of the primary tubes hit the block! In other words, even if my engine were on a stand, the flanges wouldn't sit flat on the exhaust ports on the heads. P.O.S. junk.....I was pretty mad when I had to bang some "reliefs".....(dents) right after I had them plated.

Yes, nice headers are in the cards.....

Some of us just hate headers. I have several reasons. One is that I like the exhaust note from a manifold much better. I had a 71 340 4-speed Demon in the 12s with 68-70 340 manifolds in the early 90s.

I miss that car more than any of the others.

yup my tti sit nice and high...

DSC02553-1.jpg

Don't know, but sure looks like you lost about 2-3 inches of ground clearance there at the collectors. Maybe not enough to worry about, certainly if you haven't had problems, but not as much as just a pipe would give you.

No worries, I agree they make more power, and probably don't affect the ground clearance enought to make a difference.

Exactely...those engines are poked and stroked and running roller cams,heads ported to the max, high compression ect ect...only high 11's though huh:scratch::scratch:

The fastes 340 so far in F.A.S.T is 11.42, remember thats on skinny bi-ply tires with gears in the 3.70 to 3.90 range. Add slicks, 4.30, and a stall about 800 higher than the 2800 or so that they run and your moving with those stock logs

Yes, but look what they are working with.

Heads need to be the correct casting numbers

Intake needs to be the correct casting number

Carb needs to be the correct make and list number

Stock tires (11s on E70-14s for example)

Car needs to sound very close to stock at idle.

Ya,..ok heads like stated before are ported to the max,intakes also,exhaust manifolds power extruned,carbs tweaked to the max and modified,hugh roller cams,stroker cranks,rollerized transmission,some of those guys got upwards of over $30k in the engine alone..as for launching on bias-plys was told by one of the competitiors its not really that hard,plus they treat those tires with traction compound for an extended amount of time before an event..i get a good laugh when ever i'm at at the track and those cars are running people in the stands actually believe they're mostly stock..LOL...as for the header/manifold debate headers win everytime...

The fastes 340 so far in F.A.S.T is 11.42, remember thats on skinny bi-ply tires with gears in the 3.70 to 3.90 range. Add slicks, 4.30, and a stall about 800 higher than the 2800 or so that they run and your moving with those stock logs

i'll bet that 340 is well over 400 cubes, you know it ha a custom grind cam in it, huge compression, hogged out heads gutted battery with tiny one inside it, car is lightened all over the place probably gutted out deats that just look useable...etc...etc...etc.. all kinds of exotic crap. maybe even traction control. those fast cars are cool but lets not confuse what they are. there is huge money into them to get them to run like that. they sure aren't your run of the mill 340 cars running like that on bias ply tires.

Not as exotic as you think, i see plenty of tubbed, big rimmed, slicks, cage, aluminum head $$$ carb, glass hood, scoped 340 cars running 11's LOL. point is the manifolds will not completely choke the engine and yes headers are better for ultimate HP but i do know what the stock stuff can do in the right state of modification. heres my intake with about 20 hours of max port and plenum mods.

Attachments

• 71 Demon 340 (90).jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 341
  • 71 Demon 340 (96).jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 339
Not as exotic as you think, i see plenty of tubbed, big rimmed, slicks, cage, aluminum head $$$ carb, glass hood, scoped 340 cars running 11's LOL. point is the manifolds will not completely choke the engine and yes headers are better for ultimate HP but i do know what the stock stuff can do in the right state of modification. heres my intake with about 20 hours of max port and plenum mods.

yes they will choke the engine unless the build is specifically built to run them. and yes FAST class is running pretty exotic (for a 70 year car) stuff. there is a ton of money in the motors and transmissions to get them to run what they do with stock parts on them. most of the cars like i said are lightened where ever they can be lightened. places most would never think of, some run traction control, the motors are no longer 340s, they are over 400 cubes, i'll bet just the trans alone has $5K into it.

Not as exotic as you think, i see plenty of tubbed, big rimmed, slicks, cage, aluminum head $$$ carb, glass hood, scoped 340 cars running 11's LOL

Wow,thats it they should be running faster then that...my basically stock suspension(with nothing moved)15x7 rims/drag radials all steel car,with glass hood,stock stroke 360 has been 11.70's..

How low are you going? My car sits relatively low and I have never hit my tti headers on anything.

I scrape with stock exhaust.And my pipes sit about 1/2 lower than stock depth trans pan. And I have front T-bars 3 times as stiff as stock. Happens when I go over a large cross gutter to fast. Or a big pavement seperation like an underpass bridge on the freeway at 75 mph.

yes they will choke the engine unless the build is specifically built to run them. and yes FAST class is running pretty exotic (for a 70 year car) stuff. there is a ton of money in the motors and transmissions to get them to run what they do with stock parts on them. most of the cars like i said are lightened where ever they can be lightened. places most would never think of, some run traction control, the motors are no longer 340s, they are over 400 cubes, i'll bet just the trans alone has $5K into it.
Yes I'm kind of aware they will choke an engine. Well when i think EXOTIC i think of Fuel injected, Twin turbo, custom one off intakes, aluminum race heads, remote oil systems ect.. Not the t-quad on iron intake with J heads and the 4 quart pan. yes the money that some spend on them is a lot if they can't port, tune a t-quad, put together there own engine, gut there own radio, dash seats ect. Plus a large number of guys even if they never go to the track are building 400+ size SB so that is not a exotic thing. As i said before headers flow better i even use them but so do 90% of the cars at the strip/shows ect.. thats why its cool to see manifolds on a fast SB, you don't expect it on the 340's that have been chopped up and hot rodded from day one. :lol:

Attachments

• party 046 (640x480).jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 298
wow, didint think that this would happen. My thoughts where...1/2 the price of the TTI repops OR early-A headers, they work in an early-A with little to no modification....and allow for power-steering, they flow way better than early-A manifolds, getting to spark plugs is easy...they are a 'stock' piece, they flow enough for a 'hot' street car, not as much noise as a header, no ground clearance issues at all, no shift/clutch linkage interference, no need to remove torsion bars to remove a good fitting pair of headers....thats alot of things to deal with on a street/strip car for what...10-15 horsepower? Go on a diet...the less the car weighs, the more effective the horsepower on tap is.

wow, didint think that this would happen. My thoughts where...1/2 the price of the TTI repops OR early-A headers, they work in an early-A with little to no modification....and allow for power-steering, they flow way better than early-A manifolds, getting to spark plugs is easy...they are a 'stock' piece, they flow enough for a 'hot' street car, not as much noise as a header, no ground clearance issues at all, no shift/clutch linkage interference, no need to remove torsion bars to remove a good fitting pair of headers....thats alot of things to deal with on a street/strip car for what...10-15 horsepower? Go on a diet...the less the car weighs, the more effective the horsepower on tap is.

I agree with you 100%. Well said.

I'm not up to dorking with headers anymore. I love to work on cars, but hate having to work on cars. A good set of headers wakes a good car up but I'm just not up for the hassles anymore. I think it is great someone has recast these great manifolds.

Hey Cudaguy,
Thanks for the link I was looking for these this morning and low and behold I should have just looks at FABO. You also found the new ones for $427 less than the only other place I found them available online.
Cheaper than the good headers without having to worry about leaks. I think these will be the perfect match for the 318 street car I am building.
Thanks for posting up!

Thx for the link CUDAGUY.
(forwarded to a few of My fellow A body compatriots...mmm...radicals lol).

Preface...
Not choosing a side in the Header/Stock Mani debate.

Application specific function determines build longevity/ maintenance ...

Which begs the inevitable question...' what is your build' ?

In My case ' application' specific was/is determined by firewall heat
saturation. NOT a lot of air flow in Our 'A' platform eng compartment.

Epiphany of sorts, I will not soon forget my right foot roasting on a >
400 mile Run... (insert expletive here [lol], )

Application Specific ...

Forgive the blah,blah, CUDAFISH.

THX for the link.

I'm super pleased for Cudaguy to have posted this link. I've been dreading having to buy headers because I already have a super tight fit (10.5" bellhousing in an early-A with power steering). This is exactly the right fit for me, and for half of what I've been budgeting.

Sweet!

I just picked up a mint pair of 1970 340 hipo exhaust manifolds this week
for $325.00
Story goes the guy took them off his 1970 340 Duster in 1973.
He hung them up on his garage wall until this week when I purchased them.
I took the headers off of my 71 Demon because I wanted to go back to
factory looking setup.
Pictured are the 340 exhaust manifolds I bought and the headers that
came out of the Demon.

Wilson
Ontario Canada.

Attachments

• 100_3570 (1).jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 273
  • 100_3572.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 268
  • 100_3552.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 270
  • 100_3553.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 269
Cheaper than the good headers without having to worry about leaks. I think these will be the perfect match for the 318 street car I am building.
Thanks for posting up!

Will these work/clear around the power steering set up ?

(69 318 cuda)

-
Back