New 408 build finally started

-
I search for that stuff and could only find it in 2 gal for almost 500 dollars
Maybe PRH can throw up a link for a smaller quantity somewares...................

This is what i use.
Is, or was, called Z-SPAR and is now called Splash Zone.
I buy it in a 2 Quart kit for a lot less
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0032FXM9Q?tag=sa-sym-new-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1
Amazon has no description so here you go. designed for under water repair for boats.
Key features

• Versatile two-part epoxy for patching, filling and protecting wood, metal, fiberglass
  • For above- or below-the-waterline use and can be applied underwater
  • Dries to an extremely hard, impact-resistant surface
  • Protection against corrosion of metals

Last edited:
Maybe PRH can throw up a link for a smaller quantity somewares...................

This is what i use.
Amazon has no description so here you go. designed for under water repair for boats.
Key features

• Versatile two-part epoxy for patching, filling and protecting wood, metal, fiberglass

And this is compatible with oil?

How about a little Belzona Super Metal in the port to plug the hole?

@pittsburghracer

If you want to try it out, I'm pretty sure I have a new package of Belzona at work, I'll check on Monday. We usually use Devcon when we need to repair a bit of cavitation that doesn't warrant welding, a new engineer wanted to try something different, but wasn't able to convince managment.

@pittsburghracer

If you want to try it out, I'm pretty sure I have a new package of Belzona at work, I'll check on Monday. We usually use Devcon when we need to repair a bit of cavitation that doesn't warrant welding, a new engineer wanted to try something different, but wasn't able to convince managment.

I appreciate it but I’m still thinking over my next move. For sure one of the is to call Harlan Sharp hopefully to see if they are open with everything we have going on.(Coronavirus) From the looks of things the TA rocker (.500) would do it but with little leaway. If a custom rocker didn’t hit me to hard I would probably go .550-.600 for insurance. Pretty pathetic that I have a tig welder sitting here that I never use that set up to weld aluminum that I never use. Thanks again for the offer. Splash zone that I have here is another option but I hate to relie on epoxy.

Well I went to Harlan Sharps website this morning before I called them and this is what I was greeted with.

****Due To Covid-19, we are minimially operational April 6 2020******

So I called and asked to speak to Randy at Harlan Sharp and we came up with him making me eight .550 offset 1.6 intake rockers. Not a cheap choice but one that will give me a little breathing room. They are having a shop meeting today to determine how many guys are going to be working and I asked him to give me an update later. These of coarse being custom are a start from scratch rocker so some time will be needed but its not like I'm missing any racing or don't have other projects to work on. Looks like a future project will be a 1.200-1.225 port window down the road for my .350 rockers.

This is what i use.
Key features

I LOVE Splash-zone epoxy but use very little of it anymore so the last time I bought some I bought smaller containers from Goodson Supply. I don't think I even opened it yep but that's a great price on your Amazon link. Here's some testing I did with it and a post I made about it.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...ash-zone-epoxy-test-coated-and-un-coated.html

I appreciate it but I’m still thinking over my next move. For sure one of the is to call Harlan Sharp hopefully to see if they are open with everything we have going on.(Coronavirus) From the looks of things the TA rocker (.500) would do it but with little leaway. If a custom rocker didn’t hit me to hard I would probably go .550-.600 for insurance. Pretty pathetic that I have a tig welder sitting here that I never use that set up to weld aluminum that I never use. Thanks again for the offer. Splash zone that I have here is another option but I hate to relie on epoxy.

Not a fan of welding on cast parts, but I'm bad at it.

Checked today, have a package of belzona 1511, if you change your mind PM me.

IMG_20200406_123502.jpg

Not a fan of welding on cast parts, but I'm bad at it.

Checked today, have a package of belzona 1511, if you change your mind PM me.

View attachment 1715502022

Thanks again and I appreciate it. I looked at it last night and where the hole is located it’s way past my ability to tig weld it. I have an aluminum liner for my mig welder and I know I could “goonie” it up from behind and clearance grind it especially since I will be getter new rockers with more offset. There’s a dirt track racer 10 miles from me that I may drop it off at and a Victor340 intake I got greedy on. I could weld it but this guy is super good and super cheap.

Well I talked to Randy today and their plans are to close down for a few days then hopefully open up again next week. He said getting the rockers anodized was the unknown issue as they sent them out to be done. He guessed if I wanted that done it would be early May at the earliest. If not they should be done this month so I told him not to anodize them. Who knows when we will be racing but it could mean getting this project finished a couple weeks sooner.

Ok I’m back from my hissy fit.

While I took a break I refreshed my memory on welding aluminum. There is no way I could tig this so I put my aluminum liner in my mig welder and hooked up to my 100% Argon bottle on my tig welder. Now in the mill I was certified to weld up to one inch steel plate on both stick and mig welding but that was over 11 years ago. Only during my last five years of Millwright work was I even allowed to weld as we had Craft separation till they gave us 1.00 an hour raise and trained us to do each other’s Craft.

Last edited:
9E79AEBA-ECF2-405F-B0AB-F98A697B4192.jpeg
2394EE93-1C31-4AC4-AF91-38ACA8646AA2.jpeg
8B5D209F-3B53-4696-B110-34521D8D7822.jpeg
80DF6581-9AA0-4F7C-B528-6BA7CC1D17B0.jpeg
So I hooked everything up, practiced for five minutes and welded it up. Weld, grind, weld, grind, flip it over and burn it in from the inside. It now passes my prick test poking it, tapping on it, and prying on it. My reading said if possible when welding aluminum back it up with brass or copper so I laid a piece of brass bar in there and jammed it tight. Seemed to work good.

While I had my welder hooked up I put a goober on an inside turn that I got greedy on doing some experimenting on a Victor340 intake. I roughed it in real quick with a long burr after welding it today and will go back later to pretty it up some as this isn’t and can’t be used on this engine combo. If you look into the runner you may be able to see the repair.
7C76FC7C-6F88-4583-96A9-420A60573784.jpeg
76D96F5B-378C-4B35-A358-66649FE77395.jpeg
AC77E1A4-7995-4147-9C30-1D938245ECDF.jpeg

CFEA3EC3-DD9B-48AC-A8BA-7361F52A697C.jpeg
29CCFF17-1D05-4563-AEEB-E09062EB1D77.jpeg
B7FE5748-13E0-487E-A964-361B22579252.jpeg
Before sparkplug picture

CFEA3EC3-DD9B-48AC-A8BA-7361F52A697C.jpeg
Well I’m kinda waiting on the rockers still and I really don’t want to drill anymore pushrod hole till I test fit the new rockers. So instead I figured I finally wanted to do something today so I’m concentrating on finishing up some chambers. Slow boring work but it’s gotta be done. Also relieved the sparkplug holes. Sorry no cc numbers.

3FE15C11-42DF-4533-A0C7-0EDEF7A45EB4.jpeg
8233F998-6C9D-4DB0-A2A9-EDDC1FC17D94.jpeg
Well 9 hours in the shop today with only a shop snack (Salami and Cheese-Zits) Got the chambers all done so it’s time for some chicken wings and my favorite tv show, Seal Team.

76CA87E5-732C-45AB-B29F-4C22D281AA4C.jpeg
75189DFA-F943-46A4-81EB-ECD73BDB8DA0.jpeg
My Dear Father passed away around 15 years ago and although he wasn’t a “car guy” there wasn’t one job around the house he couldn’t do. We wired houses together and he worked full time at PPG Research. When he passed it couldn’t bring myself to take his tools for years (only Son). Well I dipped into his stash for some motor brushes when my Foredom grinder quit today. I have at least two other motors but I figured I’d dig into it and fix it. All is now well, thanks Dad.

E1E38564-C5D0-47E1-8C09-FB845EB922EA.jpeg
D15E441E-BDFB-465E-A28B-FE1F758ACD92.jpeg
60F7F2CE-255F-423F-8DD9-702DFFA0C8CC.jpeg
Very exhausting day today. Copied a couple of things I did on Speedmaster heads and applied them to my Edelbrock heads. No numbers yet but I think my flowbench will be happy

B73D1387-05D4-4266-AF9A-6F27083FF716.jpeg
48C57492-A218-4E92-A850-CC3F90A57FD8.jpeg
13D57EAB-6EF7-4B67-B72E-DB78E0B44A84.jpeg
Well I finished the exhaust ports on the other head and used my Summit bought tool and my Harbor Freight drill press to open my spring pockets for bigger springs. Went from 1.480 to 1.585

AD2D6D82-9855-458E-A728-65BAD4DB913B.jpeg
8CEBFA58-E57E-4099-89FE-FE1EACD39A18.jpeg
A2905358-6C01-4465-83EE-EBA9D2A2700E.jpeg
Well that took a lot longer than normal but I totally understand. They shut down for awhile and can’t control what goes on during these lockdowns. I didn’t want to wait on having them set out to have anodized so they look kinda different. Now I can better lay out my other 7 new intake pushrod holes.

-
Back