New '68 Barracuda owner, questions around securing

-

fazeka

Reaction score
Hi all,

Proud new owner of a '68 fastback:

As I await its delivery, I have some things I am trying to prepare for it to make it a "every other day"-ly driver and have a couple of questions for the group.

1) I want to secure the hood to keep "the curious" out. Surely others on the list have done this, what length/diameter of chain can I use for this?

2) Ultimately, I want to retrofit something like this repro from Classic Industries:

http://www.autopartsdb.net/images/ProductImg/M/MA2195.JPG

http://www.classicindustries.com/mopar/parts/ma2195.html

What is everyone's thought on this? I don't want to drill holes for the installation if at all possible, either through the firewall for the cable nor on/under the dash for the handle mount...

Otherwise, I'd be interested in other techniques to keep the unwanted out.

3) Can these child-guard door lock knobs be anti-theft as well, as seller claims? i.e., how are these activated/deactivated when locking/unlocking the car from the outside?

www.ebay.com/itm/230610224588

or does it make more sense to go for something like these:

www.ebay.com/itm/261472110007

I will have more questions later on my car once it arrives, I am sure. =)

Cheers,
Chris

Nothing you posted will prevent someone that wants your car from taking your car. They won't even slow them down.

Best to keep it parked inside or keep something parked behind it.

If it's outside, just get good insurance.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Of course I know that if someone wants something bad enough (subliminal: flatbed), nothing I can do will prevent that from happening.

What I am trying to do is to not make it easy for just anyone to open the hood (i.e., not giving someone an easy opportunity).

If you use the child locks how you going to get out of the car?

"These take the place of your top of door lock knobs and make them so they can't be opened unless you use the key"

I haven't tried it yet but I have a 75 Dart parts car that I am going to rob the hood latch and cable off of for my 68 Barracuda. Hopefully the latch will bolt up.

i live in one of the worst shitholes in california and no one bothers with my car. i even leave it unlocked. anyone wanting to steal the car will show up with a tow truck and haul it away so not much you can do there.. anyone wanting to steal things will be looking for electronics or cash, so dont leave any in the open to be seen.

If you use the child locks how you going to get out of the car?
Well, yeah. LOL.

I guess I was wondering that too. I mean, I don't know, that's why I am asking. I guess I was thinking you lock them after you exit the vehicle, before you close/lock the door. And was wondering how you open, if it opens when you use the key to unlock the car...??? Guess I'm just a little ignorant, a victim of someone's posting on eBay... :sad10:

Hi all,

Proud new owner of a '68 fastback:

[URL="http://i.imgur.com/GPlTH32.jpg"][/URL]

As I await its delivery, I have some things I am trying to prepare for it to make it a "every other day"-ly driver and have a couple of questions for the group.

1) I want to secure the hood to keep "the curious" out. Surely others on the list have done this, what length/diameter of chain can I use for this?

2) Ultimately, I want to retrofit something like this repro from Classic Industries:

http://www.autopartsdb.net/images/ProductImg/M/MA2195.JPG

http://www.classicindustries.com/mopar/parts/ma2195.html

What is everyone's thought on this? I don't want to drill holes for the installation if at all possible, either through the firewall for the cable nor on/under the dash for the handle mount...

Otherwise, I'd be interested in other techniques to keep the unwanted out.

3) Can these child-guard door lock knobs be anti-theft as well, as seller claims? i.e., how are these activated/deactivated when locking/unlocking the car from the outside?

www.ebay.com/itm/230610224588

or does it make more sense to go for something like these:

www.ebay.com/itm/261472110007

I will have more questions later on my car once it arrives, I am sure. =)

Cheers,
Chris

use a 76 dart hood latch setup that uses an inside car hood release pull. remove the stock hood latch release you have to use in in the grille area to pop the hood, but leave in place the secondary release that you have to manipulate to open the hood after its popped, as this is a safety release to prevent hood from accidentally flying open when going down the road. the dart hood release latch should be a bolt in on the 68 barracuda.

park the thing in a garage when not enjoying it, or it will get stolen.

Statistically Thieves want Hondas and Toyotas. They wouldn't take a old Plymouth if it was left idling by the curb. Google most common auto thefts for exact numbers.

Yes, I understand about the statistics. Sadly, I am more worried about a Mopar fan/nut/freak rather than the masses. :shock: "We have found the enemy, and he is us."

I've used and made lock knobs like those in the second link. Note that they're only good against the clothes hanger guy. The Slim Jim guy won't even be slowed down by them. The crankster just after something to sell for his/her next high will just break the window with an HF automatic center punch.

I'm liking the OE internal release hood latch options. The chain with a lock approach has always looked exceptionally awful to me, and they tend to beat up stuff around them.

The Slim Jim guy won't even be slowed down by them.

Oops, I forgot about this...

Is there a bracket that can be fitted inside the door to keep the Slim Jim tool from accessing the door lock mechanism?

Oops, I forgot about this...

Is there a bracket that can be fitted inside the door to keep the Slim Jim tool from accessing the door lock mechanism?

I understand your concern but getting in a car is no issue, break any glass and they are in. I like your thoughts of securing the hood but past that I would be doing something that would disable the ignition/starter so the car can't be driven off.

See the cable above the Air Jack? That will grip on almost any knob the is sticking up from the door. Had a locksmith show me how quick he could get in a 2000 Taurus with it and it had slick knobs on it.

Attachments

• ceb31eec38d27bed66ebaf05e26b0d17.image.550x550.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 133
I like your thoughts of securing the hood but past that I would be doing something that would disable the ignition/starter so the car can't be driven off.

Hi, yes. A plan for a kill switch is in the works.

See the cable above the Air Jack? That will grip on almost any knob the is sticking up from the door. Had a locksmith show me how quick he could get in a 2000 Taurus with it and it had slick knobs on it.

Sigh.

Yes, there's always going to be a way to counter something or other...

Uhh... I have a few questions... Where did that car come from? Where is it headed? And is it currently being shipped?? The reason I ask is because I'm nearly POSITIVE I saw that car on a car hauler in Nashville Friday night!! It was the first 2nd gen barracuda I've ever seen in person n I bout died!! The car was gorgeous!!

Welcome...glad I don't live where you do...i agree with 3955..we usually don't lock our cars unless we are in the city..if someone wants to break in, I don't want them damaging the car... Sweet looking car...

-
Back