New! And some header questions..

-
View attachment 1715535696

If yur gonna do this (above), then you might as well just start with a pre-engineered, set of off-the-shelf headers, and stick a common plenum under or behind the transmission. That could be a couple of hours work instead of a couple of weeks......... or a couple of months, after two or three tries.
And if you do that, you might as well just install an X-pipe, which will do the same thing.
an LS chubby is not a MOPAR, you will never get a 318 to sound like Tanners screamer,never.

If you want wicked, just install Laker Pipes. Enjoy the 18436572, which becomes;
left,right,right,left,right,left,right,left ; left,right,right,left,right,left,right,left;
left,right,right
,left,right,left,right,left;...........
which gives the V8 it's peculiar idle-cadence.
With Laker pipes, you get;
On the left.... putt,putt,space,space,putt,space,putt,space;repeat
On the right; space,space,putt,putt,space,putt,space,put; repeat
Read, and speak it, fast; you'll get it.
If you want wicked, rev it to 7200.Just have a spare engine in the garage.
This is probably very sound advice. I realize it won't be like the ls sound, but you can't tell me you wouldn't be curious what it WOULD sound like with a similar set up!

I haven't heard laker pipes... I will have to look them up. 7200 would be a dream.:lol:Thank you for the info!

the drawers and parts remind me of the early ford pro/Stock headers with flat collectors merged with a NASCAR side exhaust. If you have the ability, give it a try! You may stumble onto something nobody else has thought of. And then we can see "we saw it here first"!:thumbsup:

Gonna check out your YouTube video, I always liked the look of circle track car headers, be interesting to see exactly what your envisioning.

lots a things effect sound, you could tell which late model Chevs were cheating with 6” rod By the sound of them compared to the other Chevs. My cousin 340 sounded so much better then the 350.

the drawers and parts remind me of the early ford pro/Stock headers with flat collectors merged with a NASCAR side exhaust. If you have the ability, give it a try! You may stumble onto something nobody else has thought of. And then we can see "we saw it here first"!:thumbsup:
That's interesting! I'm excited to try it out! Hopefully it amounts to something.

At the track, you could always tell when the GT-1 Corvettes were coming as they had a distinctive uneven exhaust note compared to the whine of a flat 6 Porsche or a 180 degree "bundle of snakes" exhaust of a Ferrari, GT40 or other rear engined car. Here is a 180 that fit a Fairlane T-bolt.
dougs-headers-a.jpg

Go to youtube and search for De Tomaso Pantera. Look for the race versions. They will have a true 180 header. Some are even with a single outlet. Well a lot of them are, but they have a "fake" dual outlet. It's simply a single outlet with a divider. But you'll get a real feel for how a true performance American V8 sounds with that type exhaust. I knew a guy in Macon years ago who had one. Had the Italian brand 180 headers on it with the single outlet. That car would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when it went buy. Unforgettable.

One of my very best friends in Jr. high & high school, his dad had a Pantera. He owned a auto parts store. I was up and close on that thing a lot. Never had a ride in it. His dad suffered from “Grumpy old man syndrome” a lot.

That was a very interesting car.

At the track, you could always tell when the GT-1 Corvettes were coming as they had a distinctive uneven exhaust note compared to the whine of a flat 6 Porsche or a 180 degree "bundle of snakes" exhaust of a Ferrari, GT40 or other rear engined car. Here is a 180 that fit a Fairlane T-bolt. View attachment 1715535899
That's a really neat add i've never seen that before!

Go to youtube and search for De Tomaso Pantera. Look for the race versions. They will have a true 180 header. Some are even with a single outlet. Well a lot of them are, but they have a "fake" dual outlet. It's simply a single outlet with a divider. But you'll get a real feel for how a true performance American V8 sounds with that type exhaust. I knew a guy in Macon years ago who had one. Had the Italian brand 180 headers on it with the single outlet. That car would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when it went buy. Unforgettable.
They do sound amazing! I wish I could hear one in real life. Videos don't do any exhaust justice

LA in a truck could probably pull off a 180 header between the fenderwells. come on down to the Long Beach Grand Prix next year, its free on Friday. Lots of loud race cars. Actually those dont look bad, with only 2 pipes crossing under.

AF1QipOqEuFs1Mh1ilps6rc94FTzvbxilmiamaSxlBf4

-
Back