new battery

-

7duster4

Reaction score
I'll probably be getting a new battery this week for my Duster. I have been having issues where at random it will not start and needs a jump. The current one is just over three years old and its an exide. Can't remember the cranking amps. I was going to get something else other than an exide. Whats a good brand? I have heard many good things about optima but I can't spend $180 for a battery. whats a cheaper alternative? What cranking amps should I get? The engine is a mild 318, do cranking amps even matter? Oreillys has the superstart line, anyone have experience with these?

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...vi=1232064&keyword=battery&pt=03321&ppt=C0005

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

I would buy the Optima, hands down the best battery I have ever had. I have a red top one, it is atleat 13 years old, never went dead yet, used in several cars. They are tough and don't leak any fluid, they have gel inside them, great for performance cars. They are spendy but look at how long they last and how many cheap batteries you would buy in that time, cost equals out.

I bought an Optima, and it died after 4 years. The car it is in sits in a garage, and it is not hooked up- only to start it or drive it on a rare occasion.
I had to jump it for the first time 2 years ago, and now nothing.

This stupid no name battery the guy put in a car 2 years ago when I bought it has never given me any problems- and it weighs a ton.

Someone recommended Interstate in another thread.

DSC04338.JPG

I`ve heard good things about Autozone`s top battery, the Duralast Gold. There`s a few companies making a lot of batteries. If you do a little research you can easily find out who makes certain batteries and buy one that way. Sams Club is supposed to stock a battery by one of the main manufacturers that is a lot of bang for the buck.

If you have a "Batteries Plus" store near you, they have a nice all black battery for about $50. You can even peel the stickers off the sides and put a Mopar sticker on it of your choosing and it looks nice, almost like it belongs there for cheap...the black Mopar Performance stickers look best you get with parts. One across the top blends in nicely without screaming "aftermarket Autozone battery" or "Optima"!!

I've got an Optima that came in my car I bought and it's crapping out on me, but to be fair I didnt buy it new and I think it's been left dead and jumped alot...which can kill them. I was going to do this but I got a good deal on a gently used maint. free reproduction green cap I'm going with...

Just my opinion, I tend to lean toward the more subtle look...

Go with the AutoZone battery, Made by Johnson control one of the leading Manufactors in batterys... Second I would Do a voltage drop test on your battery, Post to terminal, Ground to Block, Ground to body, and power terminal to Starter, Excessive resistance in any of these area will cause problems, Third i would do a Amprage draw test with a multimeter should not have more than .050 milli amps with the key off doors closed with nothing powered up..Last check for charging system overcharge, could cause early batterie Death!!!!

Does anyone know what Group size battery goes into a '70 Dart? The previous owner has a 'Group 65' in there now, but it looks way too big.

Also, the battery retaining straps were missing when I bought the car, which ones are the correct replacements?

Thanks.

5_28_10_021.jpg

go with the oreilly battery every car in the driveway has 1 never had a problem with any off them its been 3 years on some cars

I currently work at the dreaded Autozone, I return more Optima batteries than any other. I would recomend the Autozone red or gold top. They have an awesome warranty as well. An Orielly battery would work just as well I would think, I just dont have experience with them to tell you about.

Optimas are GARBAGE i went through 2 in less the 4 years they would not hold a charge..got an Exide and no charging problems in the 2 years i've had it.:cheers::cheers:

I think that Optima is made by Interstate. I had one also and had to return it as I would not hold a charge {red top} spent a couple extra bucks and got the yellow top and never had any problems.
I have also bought the Mopar reproduction battery, but up here in Canada it ran me close to $400....won't do that again LOL
Now I just by Interstate.
AL

Optimas will last a VERY long time if you read the instruction. If you treat them like a normal battery, using a quick charger for example you can wipe them out in a day.

My Optima is 10 years old.

Does anyone know the correct battery group size for a '70 Dart...?

If money is tight, go to a good wrecking yard, $20-25$, you can pick any size or brand, and a lot of them are not even a year old (most have the date on a sticker). I have found that if your car's electrical system is in good shape, most batteries are fine. I used to have a golf car business and bought both exide and interstate with no issues.

I have an O'Reilly and a Walmart group 24 for my 67 Barracuda. Yours might be a group 24 as that was a popular size back in the day. I peel all of the stickers off and place green sticky round dots on the top. Yea not correct but it does get double takes.

-
Back